Whats your approach to creating flams from regular drum samples ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got a series of drum samples (snares etc.) and I'd like to create some flams from them.

Whats a good way of doing it? Just duplicate the sample and nudge it a few milliseconds , or are there more interesting techniques you use ?
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

MasterTuner wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:51 pm I've got a series of drum samples (snares etc.) and I'd like to create some flams from them.

Whats a good way of doing it? Just duplicate the sample and nudge it a few milliseconds , or are there more interesting techniques you use ?
Yeah, that, but obviously also drop the velocity a lot with the first note.

Drags are slightly harder to do unless the library supports snare rolls or presses.

Just thinking about it a bit more - in reality, the main hit would probably affect the vibrations of the grace note on the snare head, and the reverberations in the body of the drum, so if you were really trying to model it, you might want to shorten the decay of the grace note slightly. Essentially the reveberations should change in volume and character rather than having two overlapping sounds. But I thoroughly doubt anyone would notice.

Double Tap wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:03 pm Just thinking about it a bit more - in reality, the main hit would probably affect the vibrations of the grace note on the snare head, and the reverberations in the body of the drum, so if you were really trying to model it, you might want to shorten the decay of the grace note slightly. Essentially the reveberations should change in volume and character rather than having two overlapping sounds. But I thoroughly doubt anyone would notice.
thanks....I did a four drum sample flam. Varying the volume levels really helped it sound better.

if you have battery 3 or 4, there is the option to simulate flams in the pad editor, which basically does the velocity+delay thing as a little midi sequence.

You could just resample

@gaggle, @StarSmash - thanks for the suggestions

Return to “Production Techniques”