Went OTB - and then ITB again

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Went OTB - and then ITB again
istockphoto-516326252-612x612.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:31 am
vurt wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:23 pmmerely i expect punks to not be so stuck in their ways, they tend to see a bigger picture than your average bloke.
Well, definitely to experience different things but that doesn't mean you have to appreciate anything just for being different, especially when most of "being different" is just rubbish.
again, i never suggested appreciation.
i was hoping, you'd listen to the tools not the performance.
that's the bit we are discussing in this forum.

i personally find the performance very relaxing in the evening, would have preferred longer, save me restarting.

I started OTB because basically there were no boxes. One monosynth for something like 3 years. Got a 2 track recorder a little after and after that a 4 track reel to reel.

After a decade of being OTB I then had an Atari sequencing the monosynth, FM poly and Rompler I had. That more or less broke down and everything stopped. I didn't have the money to buy new hardware.

Then I happened to discover in the early 2000s that audio recording to disk was now feasible for me price wise and there were now things called "plugins" that emulated really expensive stuff but at affordable prices.

So I went ITB.

About 5-6 years later I started getting hardware but still recording in Cubase. Often it would be hardware intruments into hardware FX.

I still use Cubase, using hardware or software (mainly samplers) but doing most of the processing, production and FX, ITB.

So basically, OTB, ITB and then hybrid.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

it's nice to find that balance.
the balance that works for you :ud:

for me that's a bit of everything, software, hardware, electronic and acoustic 8)
i buy things that i hear, that make me think "ooh i could use that!"
sometimes it may even be for a single sound, once! sometimes it becomes a main voice for a long time!

ChamomileShark wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:33 pmI still use Cubase, using hardware or software (mainly samplers) but doing most of the processing, production and FX, ITB.

So basically, OTB, ITB and then hybrid.
Same for me... I love hardware synths, but it all goes ITB for production...

vurt wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:36 pmi was hoping, you'd listen to the tools not the performance.
But you now I don't give a shit about the tools, they are a means to an end. Nobody watched Formula 1 for the spanners. The other aspect of it was that, to my ears, the tools were grossly under-utlised. What I heard of it, and I skipped through it pretty quickly, sounded like field recordings being run through a filter and a delay. You could have used a couple of guitar pedals to achieve the same result.
i personally find the performance very relaxing in the evening, would have preferred longer, save me restarting.
OTOH, I work on NOVAkILL until 1-1:30am every night and when I want to relax, I listen to this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkVXIWNNLrw
I find the rhythm in this song very relaxing, soothing even. Not sure why, although it is from my all-time favourite album. The best bit is that I have absolutely no idea what equipment they used and even less interest in finding out.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

i work on "vurt" when the mood takes me.
but evenings, i tend to take a break to eat something. and i like to relax while i do

BONES wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 am Nobody watched Formula 1 for the spanners
There's nothing but spanners in Formula 1 IMO

The whole thing is about the machines. Could be driven by a smart dog.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

i enjoyed the track, reminded me of quite a few things 8)
but the one i showed, was a product demo, so would have been a bit rubbish if you didn't know what they used :shrug:

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 am i work on "vurt" when the mood takes me.
I'm sure you do, matron. :scared:

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:44 am
vurt wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 am i work on "vurt" when the mood takes me.
I'm sure you do, matron. :scared:
thats not work.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:03 amThe whole thing is about the machines.
Exactly, it's not about the tools you use to make the machines. In the analogy, the cars are like songs and a race is like an album or a live set.
Could be driven by a smart dog.
I'd equate that aspect of it to musicianship, which I also don't rate at all. My PC definitely does most of the work for us on stage.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I’m not sure it’s a great analogy because it would follow you as the music maker/songwriter are the race team so you would be completely obsessed with the minutiae of what goes into your cars to get maximum performance.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Do you think I'm not? I obsess over things that matter, not shit that doesn't.

No obsession here, just a very vague interest....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”