Komplete 12 vs Komplete 13

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
jancivil
KVRAF
23602 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from gonesville

Post Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:06 pm

If Kontakt is part of yer equation on whether to wait or not, 6.6 Release candidate number two does VST3.

epiphaneia
KVRian
888 posts since 29 May, 2011 from Germany

Post Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:14 pm

jancivil wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:06 pm
If Kontakt is part of yer equation on whether to wait or not, 6.6 Release candidate number two does VST3.
I´ll get K14 as soon as it comes out, therefore I´d skip the East Asia purchase *if* K14 comes out in Oct/Nov this year (as East Asia will be included in the next Komplete for sure...)... if, however, K14 won´t come before next year, I´d bite the bullet and spend the $79 now. Decisions, decisions...

jancivil
KVRAF
23602 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from gonesville

Post Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:24 pm

interesting, I qualify for that discount by having YangQin, which was a freebie

epiphaneia
KVRian
888 posts since 29 May, 2011 from Germany

Post Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:50 pm

jancivil wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:24 pm
interesting, I qualify for that discount by having YangQin, which was a freebie
Yeah, and the library sounds great (and much more usable than EW Silk) and would be a steal at $179. That's the conundrum.

jancivil
KVRAF
23602 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from gonesville

Post Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:23 pm

I see.
You know, I had RA and in the cases where I compared to Kontakt Factory Library they sounded totally identical. So much so it seemed fishy.
And the Kontakt World lib had a nice direct & simple interface.
You seem like someone that could take advantage of the kind of library. I'm trying to stay tunnelvision, I spent like mad last and this year.

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
3582 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:43 pm

epiphaneia wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:01 am
Now if I had a hunch whether Komplete 14 will be coming out this year, the "East Asia" purchasing decision would be a lot easier...
I'd guess not. Not too much stuff out from NI since the last, I reckon it's another year off yet.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2019 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 10.5
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

epiphaneia
KVRian
888 posts since 29 May, 2011 from Germany

Post Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:05 am

jancivil wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:23 pm
I see.
You know, I had RA and in the cases where I compared to Kontakt Factory Library they sounded totally identical. So much so it seemed fishy.
And the Kontakt World lib had a nice direct & simple interface.
You seem like someone that could take advantage of the kind of library. I'm trying to stay tunnelvision, I spent like mad last and this year.
EW´s RA is pretty poor by any today´s standards, SILK is, however, still gold standard level (besides Jade and Phoenix) with less and more thoroughly sampled instruments.

I envy you for being able to set your visor on "tunnelvision", when there´s something nice coming out, I´ll usually just grab it because if I don´t, I´ll keep pondering and that distracts me too much (Slate and Ash Landforms being a case in point) :hihi:

epiphaneia
KVRian
888 posts since 29 May, 2011 from Germany

Post Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:08 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:43 pm
epiphaneia wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:01 am
Now if I had a hunch whether Komplete 14 will be coming out this year, the "East Asia" purchasing decision would be a lot easier...
I'd guess not. Not too much stuff out from NI since the last, I reckon it's another year off yet.
Good point - unless they suddenly come up with a surprise pile of new libraries or integrated more 3rd party products in the package, it´s apparently largely a bunch of expansions, Action Strings 2 and East Asia so far. I wish they got a fully scalable (including fonts sizes!), yet 100% backwards compatible Kontakt 7 done for Komplete 14 but I don´t see that yet.

jancivil
KVRAF
23602 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from gonesville

Post Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:03 am

neither of those seem to be a priority

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:23 pm

Does Native Instruments offer 50% off discounts on Komplete bundles during Black Friday? I would buy the Komplete 13 Ultimate upgrade for $199. But $399 is too steep given that the only instrument I am really interested in is Super 8.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

BBFG#
KVRAF
6630 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:45 am

It appears to me that they are about marketing more than innovating right now. Perhaps following the lead of other companies such as IK-M of attaching as many things as possible to the customer and making us the "no-brainer" in the "deal". As time continues, I see them more as bloat that I'll never use while watching what I do use get deprecated and put on the sale pyre of "legacy" they rest their laurels on. Most of the new offerings seem half-baked to me. Or just a scramble to keep up.

I'm on 12, but really looking to be free of it, Maschine and the expansions while just sticking with Kontakt for those libraries I'm forever stuck with.
It's a shame they seem to be deprecating Absynth and FM8 along with Massive. But I get it, they just want to shift the focus away from them while touting their legacy of them.

Went a few months without them on my system. After reinstalling, found I wasn't missing as much as I thought I might be. Not going to say I'm done with them, but definitely backing away.

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
4526 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:16 am

Gadget Fiend wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:23 pm
Does Native Instruments offer 50% off discounts on Komplete bundles during Black Friday? I would buy the Komplete 13 Ultimate upgrade for $199. But $399 is too steep given that the only instrument I am really interested in is Super 8.
Yes, going by the trend, this Black Friday I am pretty sure there will be discounts on Komplete updates and upgrades, so do wait for it. :tu:

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:50 pm

BBFG# wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:45 am
It's a shame they seem to be deprecating Absynth and FM8 along with Massive. But I get it, they just want to shift the focus away from them while touting their legacy of them.
When you say "deprecating Absynth and FM8 along with Massive" do mean not adding any new features to these synths going forward (but maintaining compatibility with Windows 11 and macOS Monterey)? Or you do mean discontinued like Pro-53?

Massive has such a, er, massive user base, I can't see NI ever discontinuing it.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

soulata
KVRAF
2711 posts since 6 Dec, 2002 from Ljubljana/ Slovenia

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:47 am

I've got K12U. No real need to update before NI updates the interfaces.
Kontakt looks really small on a 4k 32 inch.

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13134 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:51 am

Gadget Fiend wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:50 pm
BBFG# wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:45 am
It's a shame they seem to be deprecating Absynth and FM8 along with Massive. But I get it, they just want to shift the focus away from them while touting their legacy of them.
When you say "deprecating Absynth and FM8 along with Massive" do mean not adding any new features to these synths going forward (but maintaining compatibility with Windows 11 and macOS Monterey)? Or you do mean discontinued like Pro-53?

Massive has such a, er, massive user base, I can't see NI ever discontinuing it.
In particular, many of their Maschine packs rely on Massive presets. That said, I do think that they've largely lost the plot. It seemed like there was a spurt of innovation around the time that Reaktor 5.5 came out and there was hope for updates of their other synths, or at the very least, a move to rebuilding at least some of them as Reaktor products, a move that I would support.

I pretty much agree with BBFG# at this point though, and I've largely been an NI fanboi for the last decade or so.

Return to “Instruments”