Does Gibson still suck?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:27 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:23 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:09 pm they suck if they don't do a lego sg :x
I was hoping for a Les Paul Standard but I guess it makes more sense if it could be the SG.
i think the lp is the more recognised model sadly, meaning it would likely be that.

would be nice if it took off, and they added flying v and explorer types too.
and teles for the fender range.

now the gate is open, it depends on sales how much they milk us with new models :hihi:
If it had been a Tele I would have bought the set! But yeah... I get why they picked the strat first. Hmmm, so maybe I’ll get my wish for the LP?

I still want a Tele-like guitar. I’m not sure it’s gonna be a Fender though.
i honestly think the lp is the more iconic of gibsons shapes, even if sgs are my first love 💜

The tele shape offers a lot of tone variants depending on the pups. My vintage modified MIM sounds nothing like my modern player CIC neither sound like '52's and lets not forget those other brands that fender also own like Charvel Model 2
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I never liked the look of the SG, for a second Gibson I always wanted an Explorer, but haven't ponied up for one as yet. My friend the collector has a flying V, which I found pretty irritating to hold for some reason.

pekbro wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:45 am My friend the collector has a flying V, which I found pretty irritating to hold for some reason.
A Flying V is about as ergonomic as a porcupine :wink:
No auto tune...

pekbro wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:45 am I never liked the look of the SG, for a second Gibson I always wanted an Explorer, but haven't ponied up for one as yet. My friend the collector has a flying V, which I found pretty irritating to hold for some reason.
i had an explorer for a week or so, jeebus there's a lot of weight in it :lol:
and yeah, the v, you almost have to hold it upright to play it :?

as a metal head (death) i do love a pointy guitar, all the bc rich models were lovely shapes :love:

Funny thing about the SG....

Gibson wasn't selling LP's for squat during the 50's through 1960. They wanted it to be a glamour guitar that only the rich would own. It never caught on in the jazz scene or country forget rock and roll, so they through away the archtop and made the LP junior. A cheaper guitar hoping to make up the money in volume. Well that didn't take so they looked at what fender was doing with it's double cutaway design and put a whammy bar on while chopping off the upper bout. Initially called the "Les Paul Special" Les Paul was so infuriated he wanted his name off the guitar. So Gibson discontented all LP's for a number of years and rebranded the "Les Paul SG" (Special Guitar) to just SG.

It's sort of what happened with Jeff Beck and Seymour Duncan. SD makes a telecaster especially for JB with costum pups. Jeff Beck doesn't want his name attributed to the pup. So Seymour Duncan rebrands them JB and says it's the "Jazz/Blues" pickup. Which later goes on to be cited as the most popular replacement humbucker of all time.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Guitars”