MPE vrs PolyAT

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had always thought of MPE as a bit of a kludge to get around not supporting PolyAT.
Looking for a clear statement of the relative merits.

MPE is like PolyAT plus a lot more...

A lot more what though?

In addition to per-note pressure, you also get polyphonic pitch bend and an extra per-note expression control (usually corresponding to the front-back motion on an MPE controller).

So if it’s a piano style keybed then nothing but per note pressure is added/available?

rACatkvr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:41 pm A lot more what though?
E
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

rACatkvr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:42 am So if it’s a piano style keybed then nothing but per note pressure is added/available?
No.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Zerocrossing Media

rACatkvr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:42 am So if it’s a piano style keybed then nothing but per note pressure is added/available?
Check out Osmose

If a hardware synth supports MPE but has a piano style keyboard, yes, you will only get the benefits of pressure per note using that keyboard. However, you would still get the MPE functionality via MIDI with an MPE controller.

Thanks for the clear explanation.

rACatkvr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:41 pm A lot more what though?
Contiunous-pressure.

Polyphonic pressure as seen in most of the keyboard designs relies on the standard 'aftertouch' mechanism. However, in most MPE controllers/instruments pressure is implemenetd as a continuous mechanism. This is a huge difference. What it means in practice is that with continuous-pressure we can now imitate natural sounds created by bowing or breath. In order to obtain a smooth response, a smooth articulation of volume/timbre, as heard when bowing a string or blowing air into a reed, we need this continuous pressure, simply becouse a bow gesture, or a breath is continuous. We start with a soft, gentle bow, and then apply pressure to get more volume and tone. Same with the breath, start blowing gently into the reed mouthpiece and then increase the force to obtain more volume/tone. This can be mimiced exactly with continous pressure as seen in most MPE instruments.

Here is an example of a sound that uses continuous-pressure to mimic breath:

https://soundcloud.com/electric-himalay ... rsian-reed

And what makes that sound special is that I'm playing a drone in the left hand, and solo in the right - this is the polyphonic pressure aspect, but now, I am free to articulate the volume/tone with continuous pressure without having to do it with the mod-wheel (I couldn't do it any way since I'm using two hands, and to use the mod-wheel here, I'd need another hand, and besides, the mod-wheel would apply to all the notes played). So for me at least, this is huge: polyphonic pressure, and continuous control thereof. That sound could not be exectued/played on a normal midi keyboard with normal poly-aftertouch.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”