Why does xfer cthulhu have out of scale chords in a given scale? glitch?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

here is an image with what's going on:

https://imgur.com/a/9wM3rj9

All I did was click on was the preset "Icon_Diatonic ---> D Minor

And it gives some chords out of scale such as AMaj (in image). Also ive noticed some 3rd party packs have out of scale chords.... any reason for this? it really throws me off when im trying to come up with ideas?

I don't own cthulhu but I believe A maj is a secondary dominant, perhaps there is something in the settings to turn on/off these chords? G maj, A maj, and D maj are all secondary dominants in the D minor scale.

<A major> isn't a secondary anything in D minor, it's the V chord in common practice (found in harmonic and rising melodic minor).
It's diatonic.

r4ndom wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:23 pmit really throws me off when im trying to come up with ideas
perhaps that's the glitch?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

@OP is it actually Amaj that you hear or is it only visually on the keyboard? Maybe the quantizer is post visuals?

(I have no idea how Cthulhu works and what it’s supposed to do though, maybe it only restricts the base note of chords to a scale?)

Most likely when Xfer taught Cthulhu they used incorrect references.
I doubt it would take long to construct the correct chordscales on a piano roll
and teach Cthulhu how its supposed to be done. :)

I know that it was meant to be a happy accident machine and not to be taken too seriously
but Xfer really should have been extra careful and nailed the basics.

Leave a comment in the Xfer Cthulhu forum, Steve answers quickly there

Yeah it's most definitely just built into the preset like that. Cthulhu doesn't create chords based on a scale, they are saved into the file. I think it's very easy to make your own chords in in Cthulhu via the "learn" function though - every chord you play will automatically be bound to a subsequent key. If you have Scaler 2 this gets super fast and easy. You can just create chord progressions in Scaler and route the midi into Cthulhu. Hit "Learn" and just click as many of the chords as you want in Scaler 2... and Cthulhu automatically maps them. You'll have the entire keyboard filled with chords in no time. Save preset, done.

gondii wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:17 am Yeah it's most definitely just built into the preset like that. Cthulhu doesn't create chords based on a scale, they are saved into the file. I think it's very easy to make your own chords in in Cthulhu via the "learn" function though - every chord you play will automatically be bound to a subsequent key. If you have Scaler 2 this gets super fast and easy. You can just create chord progressions in Scaler and route the midi into Cthulhu. Hit "Learn" and just click as many of the chords as you want in Scaler 2... and Cthulhu automatically maps them. You'll have the entire keyboard filled with chords in no time. Save preset, done.
Learn function? Can't believe I've been clicking and dragging notes within cthulh to assign chords.

jancivil wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:20 pm <A major> isn't a secondary anything in D minor, it's the V chord in common practice (found in harmonic and rising melodic minor).
It's diatonic.
I think you just answered it. so its not a glitch then. It is under the "Icon_Diatonic" --> d minor category.... I just wasnt aware (as i thought i was) what diatonic meant then. hmm i cant seem to find a purely in scale preset then that only shows the 7 chords of the scale.. i guess i could just make my own "meta" preset with inversions and everything!

Return to “Instruments”