What happened to VSTplanet?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used to check this website weekly. Goodbye. See you when you find a new name.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

You have been assimilated by the Stein-Borg.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I hate this kind of nonsense. @vstplanet was a great source of (free) VSTs. Is there anything that John Q Public can do to impact Steinberg's enforcement of this behavior? Maybe they could copyright "the" and impact everyone even more so?

Douchebags! :evil:

Is there a shitstorm going on on Twitter? I don’t use it, but I heard it can have an impact. They should support VSTPlanet instead of sending their over paid lawyers…
Its bad, very bad advertisement what they do… And there is no benefit either for them if VSTPlanet is shut down or renamed… To the contrary, they had free advertisement with them…

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:31 am Is there a shitstorm going on on Twitter? I don’t use it, but I heard it
You bring up an interesting question that prompts more questions.

Google “VST”. If you make a thorough search, you should find quite a few domains that include VST in their names (there’s even a NYSE listing using VST as its trading symbol). First question: why did Steinberg go after these particular guys?

Considering that a copyright infringement issue typically starts with a warning communication, intended to convince the offender to cease using the copyrighted item, why didn’t vstplanet simply comply and take steps to change their domain name and avoid getting shut down?

Why is there no mention whatsoever as to their website’s shutdown, or mention of plans to transition their service to a new domain on vstplanet’s currently active Facebook and Twitter accounts?

Why leave their user-base in the dark with these two outlets still operating?

This whole thing is just weird enough To make me think there may be more going on here than meets the eye.
On a number of Macs

I've seen the word "copyright" a few times in this thread. It's not a copyright issue. It's a trademark issue. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that one aspect of trademark law is a requirement to defend a trademark to prevent trademark dilution which could limit your control over the mark in the future. A lot of people are acting like they're just being shitty, but it may be they're acting out of rational business interests given the legal incentives of trademark law.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:04 pm I've seen the word "copyright" a few times in this thread. It's not a copyright issue. It's a trademark issue. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that one aspect of trademark law is a requirement to defend a trademark to prevent trademark dilution which could limit your control over the mark in the future. A lot of people are acting like they're just being shitty, but it may be they're acting out of rational business interests given the legal incentives of trademark law.
So VST as a Trademark?
With this logic in mind it seems they heavily diluted the trademark "VST" right from the beginning to let it grow big times and when they are strong enough they bring down any trademark violator...erm, Ups,
of course I mean, independent small business company's which are working legal but must use the Name "VST" to work with...
Sounds like a Star Wars Story.

How about "Software Emulations" will that be the next big thing to hunt for? "Because it sounds like a..."

However, I still wonder why "VSTPlanet.com" disappeared so fast when they indeed could change the name to something different. The official reason for their disappearing is not known?
I read VSTPLA-net anyway. What's wrong with it?

Okay, and that's why this left something bitter in my mouth.

Better not to be dependent on this kind of marketing scheme,from the beginning but Uuh, I'm using VST's too...
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

It's the first thing I always read in plugin's manuals, or on the plugin developer's website. "VST is a registered trademark from Steinberg". Why sites still feel the need to call them "VST-xx.com" is beyond me. But, of course it's all the evil "Steinborg's" fault now. Because, every bedroom musician rebel who knows shit about anything gives a f**k about a trademark. Yo.

If anything, it's a miracle why those site existed so long.

I totally understand Steinberg.
If a website uses the word VST, they will sell less Nuendo and Cubase licences, this is automatic.
The fact that you can get as many plugins as you want using these websites and so see your Cubase as more powerfull has nothing to do with it : if you can find the word VST somewhere else, then the Steinberg sales automatically drop. This is perfectly logical. :shrug:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Well, it doesn't have to be about that. Imagine that Steinberg wants to launch a site called "VST Planet" one day, and realize... well, bummer. Someone took that name, and made use of the trademarked VST label.

Imagine someone calls himself DJ Ermac one day, and you already registered that artist name for yourself. Not cool.

Why do sites call themselves like that? Simple. People who Google "VST" will find them. "Plugin" is too general, and could mean anything. I'm sure they knew that VST is a trademarked designation. They decided to ignore it, and use it anyway. I really can't have too much pity for them.

chk071 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:29 pm Imagine someone calls himself DJ Ermac one day, and you already registered that artist name for yourself. Not cool.
i hunted down a few other vurts and went anthropophagi on them.
sends a warning :)

Steinberg is nothing short of pond scum.

chk071 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:29 pm Well, it doesn't have to be about that. Imagine that Steinberg wants to launch a site called "VST Planet" one day, and realize... well, bummer. Someone took that name, and made use of the trademarked VST label.

Imagine someone calls himself DJ Ermac one day, and you already registered that artist name for yourself. Not cool.
Tough on Steinberg! VST is supposed to be a standard so it should be expected that distributers of VSTs can use VST in their site name.

Well, no. https://developer.steinberg.help/displa ... guidelines

Either one of these two applies (or both):
9. Use in domain
It is allowed to use VST in domains, e.g. second level domains, if a junction is used to denote the compatibility, e.g. in “MycoolEngineForVST.com”, and if any page under such domain shows the VST Compatible logo and the domain only shows products using or created using the SDK.
7. Use in company name
It is not allowed to include VST in the company name.

im off to start a company "vurts spaghetti treats"
vst for short.

and there's nothing steinberg can do about it :lol:

Return to “Instruments”