Applying Effects

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@vurt :tu:

vurt wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:13 pm
excuse me please wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:10 pm Depends. Many roads lead to Rome. This is one of them:
https://youtu.be/in46p78teVs
is that channel strips?
a good tool indeed, but not as good for learning with.
while each component is quite basic, the thing as a whole wont teach you about the different effects and how they effect one another, as its always the same chain.
imho.
No, these are mastering fx. Just to demonstrate there are two sections where one can apply fx.

excuse me please wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:25 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:13 pm
excuse me please wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:10 pm Depends. Many roads lead to Rome. This is one of them:
https://youtu.be/in46p78teVs
is that channel strips?
a good tool indeed, but not as good for learning with.
while each component is quite basic, the thing as a whole wont teach you about the different effects and how they effect one another, as its always the same chain.
imho.
No, these are mastering fx. Just to demonstrate there are two sections where one can apply fx.
ah, didnt watch the video. (obvs)
while true, fx are used, mastering is a different thing.
probably a future thing really. again imho :oops:

It absolutely comes with experience. For me, a huge problem used to be adding too much and doing the most - whether that be tweaking a certain parameter too much or adding too many effects to a sound that really didn't need more processing to begin with. A rule that I've applied and has helped a lot is "If it sounds good, it is good." This along with referencing tracks similar to yours and really honing in on the spatial placement, compression amounts, and frequency levels is a true help. At the end of the day people won't be looking at all the plugins used in a track, they'll just be listening to it. Less is more my friend; and this is especially the case if you are still just getting the hang of things!

- fellow electronic producer
My neighbors listen to good music - whether they like it or not 8)

ARNK wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:52 pm Yea, guess it just comes with knowledge & experience. It’s more fun to know.
It’s more fun to find out by learning your craft. Experience. Or are you a millennial who wants everything instantly? Genuine question.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

D7VID wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:26 pm It absolutely comes with experience. For me, a huge problem used to be adding too much and doing the most - whether that be tweaking a certain parameter too much or adding too many effects to a sound that really didn't need more processing to begin with. A rule that I've applied and has helped a lot is "If it sounds good, it is good." This along with referencing tracks similar to yours and really honing in on the spatial placement, compression amounts, and frequency levels is a true help. At the end of the day people won't be looking at all the plugins used in a track, they'll just be listening to it. Less is more my friend; and this is especially the case if you are still just getting the hang of things!

- fellow electronic producer
:tu:

Mostly wot he said.

I used to love loads of delay and swirling reverb and all kinds of stuff that sounds great individually but often doesn't fit in a whole track well. I still might use delay a lot, and TBH probably higher in the mix than I used to but I learned to dial way back on the feedback etc - for a delay - loads of taps swirling into the distance sounds feel good but lost in a song - I love the Cubase multitap delay now - you can have just one or two taps, keep the feedback low but add FX modules to the taps - a bit of filter to make the delay sit further back from the source, even a short delay on the taps - gives you the air of a huge delay but doesn't swamp the source or the song.

I have some rough rules:

1. for a rhythm sound (synth not drums) then I'll use only shortish reverb or something like chorus (gives it stereo presence but doesn't muffle it).
2. Atmosphere sounds - delay, but curb my enthusiasm.
3. Only 1 or 2 sounds should have big delay, otherwise delays lose their effect.
4. Big reverb - only one sound.
5. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Too often layering FX on loses the goodness. Dry-ish sounds can really stand out and emphasize an instrument

Overdoing FX is probably something we all go through. You slather a huge black hole reverb over something alone and it's magical. In a song it might not be, and lots of instruments with it definitely isn't. Washes of minutes-long delay sounds wonderful at night with your studio lights on and you're off your conker. Dawn proves it otherwise :hihi: .
Ultimately, you spend ages getting your synth sounds right, don't kill them with FX. As my missus has been telling me about my cooking for f**king years - less is more, and mostly she's been right all along (unless it's curry or anything with chilli :hihi: ) - same with music. Less FX is often more, as too much drowns out the subtleties. Using 7 different reverbs in a song is more not less, and only you will notice it, and it is NOT necessary or desirable.

So...to recap: More chilli, more spice, less reverb, less feedback. :party:

Wha-da-hell do ya mean?

Bam babalooba dabam bam boo.

Are ya talkin' to me?

We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Production Techniques”