Need your advice on an 8-input audio interface?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Need your advice on the purchase of a new 8-input audio interface.

I was thinking of the Focusrite 20i18 or the Presonus 1824c

I plan to buy different hardware synths, so I need good instrument inputs and virtual.

If you have any other suggestions, please do not hesitate.

Thanks in advance.

On a budget, get an interface with ADAT lightpipe + Behringer ADA8200.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thanks for your feedback.

Here I have a budget of 800 euros.

It will only be connected to hardware synths and for vsts and plugins.

Nothing else.

Trancer wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:45 pm Thanks for your feedback.

Nothing else.
One nice thing about the new RME Fireface UCX 2 (unfortunately way above your set budget) is that it can work standalone (without the need of a computer) and also works as a completely flexible digital mixer. 8 inputs, 6 outputs (analog) + headphones, plus ADAT expansion.

That being said, an actual mixer with USB audio interface might also work (Mackie Onyx 12 for example).

Trancer wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:45 pm Thanks for your feedback.

Nothing else.
It's a little bit more expensive:
https://www.thomann.de/be/rme_fireface_uc.htm
But I can't think of a better interface that you can buy for that money.

i ahve the focusrite, no complaints here :)

digitallysane wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:30 pm 6 outputs (analog) + headphones, plus ADAT expansion.
6 mono outputs + 1 stereo (it's not limited to headphones usage)
Something like this would add a headphones output: https://www.thomann.de/be/mackie_big_knob_passive.htm
(I'm sure a 2xTS tot TRS female cable exists too)

T-CM11 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:56 pm
(I'm sure a 2xTS tot TRS female cable exists too)
yup, have several y cables.
male to female.
female to male.
female to female.
male to male.

all easy enough to get from any music store :tu:
and handy to have a couple of each lay around :)

The mixer option is an alternative, but if you want good the minimum in the 800 euros and I suppose that for that price, the quality may not be there.

I hesitate, really between the two.

I would like to eventually, since I will take advantage of Black Friday to switch to the Professional version of Studio One and buy the port 16 fader.

I say to myself, that I find myself with two mixers, not great.

Maybe better to take an audio interface and not a mixer.

For my use, UCX if any would not be sufficient even if it is a bit dated?

The UCX II is certainly excellent, but is the price difference justified compared to the UCX?

What appeals to me, I looked at the RME 802, it is practically the same price as the UCX II, surprising, don't you think? And why is the price so close?

Since no setting of outputs 1 and 2 for the 802 and that it is necessary to add a remote control in more than 150 euros, flat on the part of RME, now perhaps normal not to torpedo the sale of the UFX, because the UFX also has the PC-less recording that 802 does not.

What do you think between UCX 2 and 802?

Mac or PC?

The Focursite Gen 3's are solid, no hesitations there. Clarette is even better if you can get it.

I'd advise against an ADAT 8200, it's a good unit, and I ran it with the RME little ADAT box so it was a great set-up, but I ran into sync issues. You probably won't, but you might. It's a headache if you do. It would give me an audio glitch every minute or so.

I'd advise against an ADAT solution for that reason as it adds complexity when you can get a good interface with 8 inputs for that budget.

I wouldn't do a lower budget Presonus interface, but the Quantum is very good.

I wouldn't do another Steinberg interface at all.

I don't know what the Arturia interfaces are like from experience, but I'd be looking into those too for that budget. The Audiofuse 8pre specifically.

That said, RME is the best choice budget can stretch. The drivers are excellent and long supported, and the specs are great. The 802 if you can get It used would be a fine choice.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

A big thank you for your feedback and advice.

I am currently on pc, I plan to migrate to mac, I am waiting for the release of a mac mini m1x max to make the change of platform.

I already have a Focusrite the 2i2 2nd gen, I am very happy with it.

My attention is also on Arturia.

It is true that I like the RME 802, because excellence as a benchmark.

What bothers me on the other hand, no volume adjustment on output 1 and 2 and you have to add 150 euros more for a remote control!

I guess the 802 is more interesting than the UCX 2?

I thought I would buy the remote for my RME but I still haven’t about a year later. I’ve found in use it’s not really as important as I thought it would be. You can set the volume on the software interface and usually I don’t need to adjust it very much. You can set 2 volumes and switch between them too.

I would say that the RME expensive compared to other interfaces, and most of them do a good job, but RME is the best long term purchase. I’ve had the old fireface800, the 400, the digiface, the baby face Pro and now I have the UCX and the only thing I’m thinking of changing is to get a bigger RME for more analog inputs.

I can’t see you getting an 802 for 800 Euros though
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

+1 in re rme but...
...look at the delivery dates

probably because of chip shortage...?

Thank you for your answers.

Indeed much more expensive, but agree with you excellent quality.

Thank you for the information regarding the fact that not really bothersome for outputs 1 and 2.

It s clear not for 800 euros.

But as not an urgent purchase, I prefer to wait a bit and invest in the best quality.

So the option of 802 cannot be ruled out at all, on the contrary 😊

Indeed relatively long delivery times, it will allow me to put the money in place for the purchase in this way.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”