JP-8080 Love & Some Trance Classic's

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Someone might enjoy this trip & some JP Love!!

https://youtu.be/UJ0sKJiyoTM

I have to say this is actually a very nicely designed synth given it's age. I bought the editor for it but in the end I do everything on the hardware as it's just simpler.

People talk about about emulating the supersaw but after owning this a while, I'm convinced it's character is much more about the sum of it's parts. It's a really weird synth. It sounds like the envelopes are something like look-up wavetables as they have clear jumps. Forget about 0 attack too, so much click.

Anyway, I find that really nothing else I have sounds quite like it
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I had a nostalgic moment last week so I pulled my JP-8000 out of the closet for a jam. It still sounds pretty decent even compared to modern synths and the user interface is absolutely fantastic. I wish that I had enough room to keep it connected permanently.

Maybe I'll swap it for JP-8080 if I find a good deal.

What kind of condition is it in?

Do you have any issues with the encoders yet?

It’s probably a good idea to offload it before the capacitors go bad, apparently the 8080 has longer life components.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm Forget about 0 attack too, so much click.
You say that as if it was a bad thing. :D

Already watched your video on Youtube. Nice. :tu:

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:31 pm
Aiynzahev wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm Forget about 0 attack too, so much click.
You say that as if it was a bad thing. :D

Already watched your video on Youtube. Nice. :tu:
It really isn’t a nice click once you close the filter. It’s ok with a fully open filter though. you won’t hear it in my demos much.
Aiynzahev-sounds

There are none of these on eBay in the UK. I think they were fairly good value before this post! :hihi:

There are JP8000s but they are £750+, with dubious levels of wear and tear.

Great UI though, so hands on. Of course some very classic sounds. And still less than a Virus.

Sounds amazing! Takes me back to the good ol' days of trance! :tu: :cool:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Aiynzahev wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm What kind of condition is it in?
The electronic side of things is in perfect condition. I replaced all capacitors a few years ago with high quality parts and cleaned all moving parts and jacks while I was at it. Ribbon, pots and faders work like on day 1.

The shell has seen better days but that's not a problem for me. My shell has seen better better days too.

To this day I want JP8k/8080 to make a classic Trance SuperSaw. But prices for used units is ridiculous. JP8k is kinda like TB303 - a one-trick pony. Of course, it has more than SuperSaw but besides that, it's nothing really exceptional these days. Behringer should make SuperSaw8000 for $150 :D
I had my eye on 8000 but finally, I went with Cobalt8 - way more possibilities + great keybed.

I agree that there's more than just an oscillator. So many clones/SuperSaw emulations in other synths/plugins yet JP is JP to this day.

For me the beauty of the JP-8000 is in the user interface. Apart from the effect selection there are no sound parameters hidden away in any menus. What you see is what you get. This makes sound design very easy and fun.

The sound is basically a Roland VA sound as heard countless times from other Roland devices in the last 25 years. It still has a few unique features (like the feedback oscillator) but I don't think that this is enough to justify the current used prices. The last JP-8000 and JP-8080 I saw in good condition were almost as expensive as a used System-8 on EBay.

It's a shame that Urs decided that it's not worth to model the JP-8k's filter in Diva. It's a digital filter, but, I really like its vibe. Fits very well to the overall musicality of the instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFR8nybOEJc

Still hope that Roland Cloud will add a JP-8k emu to their Roland Cloud portfolio one day, but, somehow doubt that they ever will... people are much more into the 10th digital 303 emulation, which still doesn't get the sound right.

Great video and great tunes recreated! I love all that trance. No doubt that jp8000 and jp8080 were the creators of the end of the 90s trance.
I don't know why i sold my jp8080 :( :( I will have to buy it again

we used jp 8000 when it was released, this synth add special sound to me, roland sound was well suited for trance , goa trance.

Really nice, you nailed it , it make me miss the synth

Aiynzahev wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm Someone might enjoy this trip & some JP Love!!

I have to say this is actually a very nicely designed synth given it's age. I bought the editor for it but in the end I do everything on the hardware as it's just simpler.

People talk about about emulating the supersaw but after owning this a while, I'm convinced it's character is much more about the sum of it's parts. It's a really weird synth. It sounds like the envelopes are something like look-up wavetables as they have clear jumps. Forget about 0 attack too, so much click.

Anyway, I find that really nothing else I have sounds quite like it
Really nice demo if this synth! Thanks for sharing. You recreated some pretty classic tunes.

I think all the Roland digital stuff has some of the quirks you mention. The Roland Gaia sh-01 had pretty much the same super saw but, maybe unfairly, seemed to get panned on release when really it was just another hands on VA.

jp8000 was another classic Roland dance floor sound. It might have also been the start of the end for trance in some ways as it arrived and was part of the start of more formulaic tracks. The big supersaw sound just seemed to push out some of the more creative tracks.

Wow, a decade of Trance in one Synth. Great job at recreating the sounds, to me they sound really 100% accurate :party:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”