IK's 25th Anniversary Group Buy! Up to 25 for the price of 1

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
KVRian
503 posts since 7 Mar, 2011

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:09 am

progtronic wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:34 am
Now, regarding Syntronik... I'm a really hardcore synth programmer/sound designer, and was totally impressed with what they did here.

Syntronik is basically a rompler, but offers a lot of variation in the basic (raw/drift) OSC samples available, to use as starting points for your own unique patches. On top of that, they've emulated pretty much all the filters, from all the classic synths... in the whole collection. And made the entire set of filters available for every synth... so you can mix and match.

There's definitely a lot of limitations, from actual individually emulated analog and digital synth vst's (particularly FM)... but this collection still gives you enough to work with, in terms of sound design.

So, I think Syntronik's actually perfect for artists who may not be into advanced design... but still want some flexibility.
I have a few 99 tier freebies available to throw into the free Syntronik shell.

Any recommendations on individual Syntronik synths that are worth getting?

KVRian
639 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 am

festeringheap wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:09 am
My favorites are: J-60, J-8, M-Poly, Memory-V, OXa, Pro-V, SAM, SH-V, T-03.

I mean, they're all really good... but those, in particular, really stand out for me.

KVRian
562 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Sacramento, CA

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:05 pm

festeringheap wrote:

Also, look closely at your list of available freebies - a fair number of us found "Syntronik Deluxe Upgrade" in the $99 tier even though technically we shouldn't have qualified for it. If it's there, that'd get you all 22 instruments.
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

KVRian

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:09 am

progtronic wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 am
festeringheap wrote:

I mean, they're all really good... but those, in particular, really stand out for me.
Thanks prog for your recs. :) I'll very likely pick up the first three you mentioned for sure. And probably another rec.

Looks like IK gifted me Memory-V a year or two back. It appears to have been "registered" late last year, but I had never used it (or even seen it). So to actually use it now, I have to pay a download fee, lol, as I'm past the 180 days.

I had downloaded T-03 before, but I have been having trouble making it sound like a 303. At least what I think the 303 sounds like. Still working it.
Thanks again. :)
Last edited by festeringheap on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:18 am

Ceej wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:05 pm
festeringheap wrote:

Also, look closely at your list of available freebies - a fair number of us found "Syntronik Deluxe Upgrade" in the $99 tier even though technically we shouldn't have qualified for it. If it's there, that'd get you all 22 instruments.
Hmmmmm....It appears that I do have a Deluxe Upgrade buried amongst all the other Syntroniks. Maybe it's there because I didn't use the free Memory-V?

It looks like Deluxe is 80GB? How does the download work for that?
Do I download a huge multi-part file that installs all the synths in one go? Or can you download individual synths as needed?

KVRian
505 posts since 30 Jan, 2007

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:57 am

Random weekend musing... if you compare the list of effects with MixBox with those in SampleTank, you'll see that MixBox is the SampleTank effects section now available as a separate product.

The differences: MB doesn't have the two effects specifically for acoustic pianos - the piano lid and acoustic resonance effects. It replaces them with the De-Esser and Tape Cassette effects. It also splits the British Channel Strip into two separate parts, called British Dynamics and British EQ.

Otherwise, the list is identical.

One cool thing about this - especially for keyboardists - is that you can also use MixBox as a simpler version of Amplitube.

You're limited in the amp choices, but that probably doesn't matter so much for keyboard players. The available amps should be quite sufficient. It has the preamp, tone control, cabinet, and Flexi Amp effects to customize your own sounds, essentially creating your own tube amp. But if you want a "name" amp, it has the Roland JC-120 TM, Fender Twin Reverb, Ampeg SVT Classic, Marshall JCM900 and Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier. That covers everything from clean channel (the Roland name was more popular with keyboardists than with guitarists) to surf guitar to heavy metal.

KVRian
562 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Sacramento, CA

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:18 pm

festeringheap wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:18 am
Ceej wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:05 pm
festeringheap wrote:

Hmmmmm....It appears that I do have a Deluxe Upgrade buried amongst all the other Syntroniks. Maybe it's there because I didn't use the free Memory-V?

It looks like Deluxe is 80GB? How does the download work for that?
Do I download a huge multi-part file that installs all the synths in one go? Or can you download individual synths as needed?
You can download each of the synths individually in the Product Manager. Remember if you don't download them all in 180 days, you'd need to pay $7 to unlock the downloads again, so you might wanna just grab 'em all and save then somewhere even if you don't necessarily want them all.
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

KVRist
102 posts since 12 May, 2014

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:45 pm

Asked IK support for help, but haven’t heard back so hoping someone here might be able to help. Owned Syntronik (regular) and added Memory-V & M-Poly as group buy choices, but I cant seem to get them to show up in the Syntronik plugin. Any ideas?

KVRian
639 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:52 pm

festeringheap wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:09 am
progtronic wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 am
festeringheap wrote:

Thanks prog for your recs. :) I'll very likely pick up the first three you mentioned for sure. And probably another rec.

Looks like IK gifted me Memory-V a year or two back. It appears to have been "registered" late last year, but I had never used it (or even seen it). So to actually use it now, I have to pay a download fee, lol, as I'm past the 180 days.

I had downloaded T-03 before, but I have been having trouble making it sound like a 303. At least what I think the 303 sounds like. Still working it.
Thanks again. :)
Looks like you have the Deluxe version available... if you pick that up and install it, it will install Memory-V as well... because technically, you just "bought" it, along with the rest of the bundle.

Regarding the T-03... You can assign an external midi control to things like the filter and resonance. Change that assignment to an unused CC (right click knob and select "MIDI Assignments"), then target that particular CC and automate it with your DAW. Definitely helps get it closer to sounding like the real thing.

Also remember to tweak the "CONTROLLERS" section of the instrument. Select LEG 2 and set the PORTA to around 40, for more authentic, pitchy weirdness when you slur notes together. The Saw and Square "Full Variable" patches, with the filter and amp envelopes set to '0 decay' and '100 sustain', will give you a solid starting point.

KVRAF
3457 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:31 pm

InsertNameHere wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:45 pm
Asked IK support for help, but haven’t heard back so hoping someone here might be able to help. Owned Syntronik (regular) and added Memory-V & M-Poly as group buy choices, but I cant seem to get them to show up in the Syntronik plugin. Any ideas?
Have you tried re-scanning your library directories?
A well-behaved signature.

KVRist
331 posts since 7 Feb, 2015

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:21 pm

InsertNameHere wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:45 pm
Try registering the serial in the IK Product Manager. For some reason some packs worked automatically and some I had to register in the Ik product manager to get them to show up but once I did they all worked.

KVRer
6 posts since 12 Sep, 2020

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:30 am

yea, and if that doesn't work, run the IK Authorization Manager. I had a few of the old ones that I had to go through that to get them to show up.

KVRer
15 posts since 7 Nov, 2020

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:09 am

I was wondering if I want to use up 4 slots on 4 tape machines. So I took a look at the product page. The marketing for this is quite something.
Analog tape audio recorders are complex systems. They impart magic to the audio material, lifting the art within the music to a higher level. They add musicality to music.
More than just saturation, compression, or EQ alone, these factors work together, one affecting each other with the dynamics of music, adding a “movement” that goes into the soul of what we perceive.
Decades of music produced on these pieces of artful human engineering have tailored the way we think music should sound. It’s imprinted in our DNA.
Here's my favorite.
The program coming out a professional tape recorder is very similar to the one coming in, just better. It's subtle but you can feel that it is not.

KVRian
505 posts since 30 Jan, 2007

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:11 am

JJWL wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:09 am
I was wondering if I want to use up 4 slots on 4 tape machines. So I took a look at the product page. The marketing for this is quite something.
Analog tape audio recorders are complex systems. They impart magic to the audio material, lifting the art within the music to a higher level. They add musicality to music.
More than just saturation, compression, or EQ alone, these factors work together, one affecting each other with the dynamics of music, adding a “movement” that goes into the soul of what we perceive.
Decades of music produced on these pieces of artful human engineering have tailored the way we think music should sound. It’s imprinted in our DNA.
Here's my favorite.
The program coming out a professional tape recorder is very similar to the one coming in, just better. It's subtle but you can feel that it is not.

The easy answer is to demo one of them first, or just go ahead and get one using just one free choice and play with it.

The idea that running your signal through an analog emulation adds some kind of magic isn't anything new as far as marketing goes. If you go back and read the pages describing the channel strips, the Black 76, White 2A, Vintage 670, the Vintage Tube (EQ-1A), and even the Lurssen Mastering Console, you'll find mentions of how just passing through these devices adds some kind of special sauce to a signal.

There's some truth there: it certainly helps a mix if all of the components end up feeling like they belong together and were recorded in similar fashion. For example, you probably wouldn't want your instruments to have heavy reverb like they were recorded in a large hall, then add vocals with no reverb whatsoever. But if everything in the mix is "close enough" already, passing the whole thing through something that adds subtle coloration can bring them even closer together, in addition to the other benefits of proper mastering.

The tape machines can add a bit more to that effect, though it really shouldn't be necessary after the mastering process. If you already have other effects like the 670, try playing sound through them and turning the bypass on and off to see if you can "feel the magic", so to speak.

What I find hilarious about all of this is that back in the days of the Tascam Porta-Studio (part of the just released Tascam collection) or Fostex recorders, everyone wanted to go for a pristine digital sound and make things sound like they were NOT recorded on a home studio 4-track or the analog tape in the local no-budget studio.

But now that we all have pristine digital instruments recorded to digital workstations with digital effects and saved in digital media formats, we're going back and adding extra effects specifically to make our stuff sound just like it was recorded on a cassette tape on an old Porta-Studio.

With all that being said, sure, any of those Tape Machines will give you some analog coloring without ruining your sound. The only questions after that are whether you need exact emulations of specific recording devices, and if so, which ones.

If you do crave those exact machines, without a doubt the IK engineers have emulated them in perfect and painstaking detail, right down to the differences in recording speeds and the choice of different tapes.

If you don't need that level of detail, you might already have sufficient tape coloring through other effects you might already have - particularly Saturator X. That effect is also part of MixBox, along with a Phonograph and a new Tape Cassette effect that I had not previously seen elsewhere in IK products.

(No word yet on a future 8-track effect, where you have degradation like the Tape Cassette effect but once every 8 minutes or so the volume fades to zero, a second later you get a "click" sound, and a second after that the volume fades back in and returns to normal. That one should be out around the same time as the Vuvuzela Collection for Sampletank.)

KVRAF
3457 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 am

JJWL wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:09 am
Here's my favorite.
:lol: But are they game-changers?
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”