having fun with kvr developers

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hello everybody,

i've done a fair bit of development using the synthedit sdk and an old 32 bit borland c++ compiler. life has afforded me an opportunity to develop on a 64 bit windows 10 platform.

while i consider my programming style to be competent within its own context, i have no practice of using other peoples resources, possibly because my use of borland's fclt compiler postdates any public use and public resources for it.

i'm attempting to install the vst 3 sdk. i've managed to unpack the zip. the next instruction is:

https://developer.steinberg.help/displa ... +for+VST+3
Building the SDK examples requires installation of several packages:

Required:

sudo apt-get install cmake gcc "libstdc++6" libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-util-dev libxcb-cursor-dev libxcb-xkb-dev libxkbcommon-dev libxkbcommon-x11-dev libfontconfig1-dev libcairo2-dev libgtkmm-3.0-dev libsqlite3-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev
i feel confident that this was written knowing that i would have absolutely no clue what it means. i am also confident that if i look up "package" in google, i'll be directed to UPS or amazon.

i wasn't going to do this as i've been happily involved otherwise but yesterday i was hit by one of those moments of inspiration that dictated i have to do a particular thing, specifically making a speech synthesizer more better. for all of you, people who love audio synthesis.

you are of course entitled to your own opinion about my ineptitude for not having done enough of whatever someone thinks i'm supposed to do to comprehend these instructions, but the fact is, i do not.

if anyone would like to assist to the extent that i may actually be able to install the sdk to the point of functionality, well it would be like my birthday.

i hope you like cake and ice cream.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Well, if you insist to develop on Linux, you need to learn apt at the very least.
And probably million other things over next 5 years, not recommended ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On this page, Windows instructions seem much simpler to me ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

That is the installation instructions for Linux, you don't need that.

jupiter8 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:00 pm That is the installation instructions for Linux, you don't need that.
taking your word on it, it appears steinberg did a sort of indentation booboo. ty.

since i have a pristine vc++ express (or whatever it is) install, and have unzipped the steinberg folder to "my documents", i will proceed to the tutorial for compiling the examples. i'll probably be back soon :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

continuing to make this a sordidly public matter,

a comment on the will pirkle video (my favourite place to find install instructions, but at present, it's the only place i can seem to find anything) provides the syntax:
cmake -G"Visual Studio 16 2019" -A x64 -DSMTG_CREATE_BUNDLE_FOR_WINDOWS=ON ../

returns:
-- [SMTG] SMTG_PLUGIN_TARGET_PATH is set to: C:/Program Files/Common Files/VST3
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:24 (project):
Generator

Visual Studio 16 2019

could not find any instance of Visual Studio.
my visual studio install seems to believe it's called 2019, it was installed within the last month. i expect someone reading this for enjoyment is faster at identifying the pertinent error than i (removing the 16, because my install doesn't say 16 when i start it, doesn't resolve the issue).

the CMakeOutput.log file of errors simply says, The system is: Windows - 10.0.19042 - AMD64
oh good.

For some reason there's no entry for VS 2019 in the CMake options. Try the VST3_Project_Generator instead (it's in the vstsdk folder). I did and it outputted a valid .sln for VS2019 and it compiled a VST3 for me. I got an error though so i'm not 100% it actually works. It seems to work though.

That's all i have for now.

Oh wait, disregard the post above. I'm an idiot alternative someone at Microsoft has severe problems with clear communication.

I got it to work now (choose the wrong target in CMake, it isn't exactly clear).

I opened a terminal in \VST_SDK\vst3sdk and ran "cmake -G"Visual Studio 16 2019" -Ax64" and that did the trick. For me. This time.

Also in Visual Studio, go to "tools\get tools and features" and install the "desktop development with C++" package. It has some CMake stuff in it which i believe you need. Probably. Or not.

getting "a more encouraging return" after following this advice:
Open Visual Studio
Go to Tools -> Get Tools and Features
In the "Workloads" tab enable "Desktop development with C++"
Click Modify at the bottom right
i thought i'd installed this previously but i had to reinstall my OS because National Instruments multisim removed my ability to left click on the desktop after i opted out of their half hour install.

i will continue onwards! thank you jupiter8. sometimes even someone simply responding gives you the reason to post and thereby review one's actions.

for other nescients checking here for clues, i was momentarily mystified by cmake having a default "don't edit the runtime path" option on install, since i perceive it to be a command line utility, that might throw someone who is entirely unfamiliar with compilers.

My Visual Studio 2019 is definitely numbered as 16:
Visual Studio Version.png
So you shouldn't change that label.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

stopping for today,

ms have consumed 50g of my 60g hard drive, i'm certain i have less than 1g of the modest noninvasive apps i tend to use. this does not leave me sufficient space to install "Universal Windows Platform Development" which i'm not sure is needed or not for distributing win10 releases at this point. i think i'd been advised to install it when initially following setup for c++ instructions before my OS was wiped.

however i was able to "build"/F7 helloworldWithVSTGUI in the solution explorer, which succeeded on 13, failed on 17. so far i've found a folder build\VST3\Debug which has 17 *.vst3 files in it which eXT 3.0 doesn't seem to recognise.

i'll have to pick this up next weekend or so.

my XP boxes are all kaput so win10 is my recourse for contemporary software development. at this point, being some sort of dispenser of public resources doesn't mean as much to me as placating the intellectual sensibilities of an old person with time to fill, i've really had too much opposition to this point. but it was nice to see that this win10 machine only tells me what the weather is outside and doesn't advise movies.

quite honestly, speaking (as always!) as someone used to a blazingly fast compiler with a 5 meg h/d footprint, i think (thanks to steinberg and ms combined?) the choice platform for software development nowadays is hardware... arduinos are a cinch to set up and just recently i've found the method for fixing the adaptive processor speed ("arduino for musicians") and observed that teensy microcontrollers have cpu speeds high enough to run fourier transforms. thanks to all the software virtual studio people contributing to making hardware more viable! :p

hopefully i'll be back, it's easier to work on software than hardware at night time because i can still see it.

I didn't see anyone else mention it, and I'm not on the right machine to check the exact name at the moment, but in case you're not already doing so, always run cmake from the special VS 2019 (2017, etc.) Developer's Command prompt. There usually are several versions of this. The normal Command prompt setup isn't enough for all the paths and so on.

thanks dave, i seem to remember seeing something about that.

one thing i could ask,
is there anything in the "build" folder i shouldn't delete? it's now a voluminous 1.4g.

i don't know who made the world, but you're doing it wrong. my "5 meg footprint" compiler did everything except allow me to use other peoples resources. ah well. it's 2021, had far too much experience whining.

xoxos wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:53 pm is there anything in the "build" folder i shouldn't delete? it's now a voluminous 1.4g.
Everything. Or it will be rebuilt again, and again, and again...

Or you could check build configurations, if you're not building some extra 32-bit / debug versions you don't need.
ms have consumed 50g of my 60g hard drive, i'm certain i have less than 1g of the modest noninvasive apps i tend to use.
Oh it certainly can if you tick everything MSVS has to offer :P :P :P Don't be greedy.

Others can probably provide better advice, but it depends a lot on what you want to do and how you develop code. (I just saw DJ Warmongers comment --- you might be able to set options to converse space, but you may regret it because certain capabilities will go away.) The biggest offender is the .vs folder, or so I have found. IIRC, it's for Intellisense and maybe debug. Intellisense helps me a lot for complex projects, so I don't normally delete it, but when doing backups, etc. I do. Yeah, MS has never been good on conserving space.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”