new, finished - 3:00

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A and B with an ending. Now, B is easily my biggest departure to date. I'm not going to say why and spoil it (other than it refers to or sortof develops motifs from the last one). (No one has bitten. I'm almost surprised no one is calling me out for thievery, but it came directly out of my mind all of a sudden (it's uncovering something, rather than inventing, obviously) and I elaborated on it, it's like Andy Kaufman-level taking a joke all the way out. I don't know why I had it.
"A" will come as no surprise at all if you've ever heard me.
https://y2u.be/3YBJ2_dnOlI
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another superior painting from Jan. First of all: Amazing sound quality, amazing room, amazing simulations of real instruments among the sculpted effects and crescendos. By which software do you model the shakuhachi? I used Korg Prophecy to make a similar effect in the beginning of Valkyrie, but I like your modeling better. The piano part at the end came as a suprise to me. First I was taken far out in the universe (friggen sci-fi youth) and ahead in time to the point where the human race opens its very first wormhole....then BAM; and I am sitting starring at this event on tv in a bar at a piano with my sleepy jazz band. I have just gotten tired of playing Real Books all night and just let my fingers do the walking to hear something DIFFERENT. However, I get stuck and cannot really excape tonality despite a serial hick up or two. Time to go home and sleep. Or something. Paintings like cannot be anything but open to personal interpretation :D

Are you going to tell me a little about what is going on as to harmonies and (a)tonalities to spare me the analysis? Not my thang, ya know.

Nice work, Jan. Which I was as far ahead in production quality as you. Sounds like there are loads of experience in there. :)
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

it's a little like 2001 A Space Odyssey where he ends up in that kind of classical room. I intended something completely different but the first 5 seconds of that were the resuit of my thought so I ran with it. Actually the first things I wrote were like that, at like 19 I was into this kind of Chopin vibe and did some short exercises.
That could go on awhile with development of the things but I like short and to the point, besides being possibly a bit lazy. I'm pretty good at endings. :D

The shakuhachi is just samples, I dirtied it up some with compression and an exciter. It's 20 euro, an instrument in a larger library called Jeff Russo (Star Trek Discovery, Picard) Modus, High Shakuhachi in D. (Orchestral Tools) Apparently D Dorian. One of the choirs in it is from that, "Female Choir" which has some tricks up its sleeve, 27 euro. It's very apt stuff for a sci-fi movie vibe.
Most of these use Mod Wheel to bring in 'overtones' or 'fifths', or 'atonal, 'cluster' in certain articulations. The VSL choir provides some clusters that are simply fantastic (and unlike some vendors have completely documented it all in a score pdf).

Here's the kicker and I prob'ly should keep this on the down low: that's all pencil tool in the piano roll. So, it's ok this next note must be... and learned logics applied, kind of idiot savant

thanks

if I go tonal, a lot of stuff kicks in and I'm like an artifical intelligence, habits rule ok.

I don't have any analysis of the first part at all other than in the end it sorts out to a I chord and I leave its 5th hanging, and fade. Formally it's pretty classical and resembles a song as much as anything. But it's action rather than thought. there's practically no second guessing or eraser going on. If I erase it all goes, Houston we have a problem and back to the drawing board. The ethos is get it right now. Day in and day out back in the day Brazieal and I would improvise, often out of nothing with the intent to get a keeper right then and there. Of course the success rate is not terrifically high with that. But I learned many things, because he was actually fully in school and so by osmosis I had a lot of form.

I just thought of how to explain the A section and what I mean by 'formally kind of classical'; it goes to a plateau that isn't home, like a subdominant area; comes back to a version of or stand-in for "I"; and there's an elaborate setup for a final tension zone, a dominant - that giant low brass cresc - and then it's home. very simple.

and here, we find that the basic sense of tonality (not the strict mus theory textbook) is mighty hard to avoid, as I did a literal leading tone to 1 finally. voice-leading took me there and out of that took me to classical music land. That first phrase just came right out of me like water (I believe it has to be memory), it was rather amazing (I knew, I didn't invent). I haven't dealt in that world for >40 yrs. It seems like a piece one should know, but I have little clue.

Well, methinks it is cool when you navigate in the grey areas between tonality and serialism. Too much of the latter and everything becomes a bit too relative to me. This was not. I liked the homecoming, tho I did not really expect it. Your piano roll brushing is a great liar; sounds played, not brushed.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

a big part of realism (cf. reality):
timeline.jpeg
there's the actual tempi of such a "performance"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

so this was more what I thought I was about:
https://y2u.be/KZ2sTISO-m8

this was played. the drums of course were just lined up with the piano, mostly drawn

Never would have guessed it was penciled in! Nice work; theory is over my head but I know what I like when I hear it.

thanks

I have to pay very close attention to pedaling to pull it off

jancivil wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:16 am so this was more what I thought I was about:
https://y2u.be/KZ2sTISO-m8

this was played. the drums of course were just lined up with the piano, mostly drawn
Great mood. Calmer one. Almost chill. The dissonances are not threatening. More like coincidences. Cool :tu:

jancivil wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:54 pm it's a little like 2001 A Space Odyssey
definitely! which is no bad thing, the opening before the bit everyone knows "dah dah da dah!" is some fine composition work!!! as is this, lovely drum work 8)

unlike sapce odyssey the film, too short as always!
id only just sparked up and its over!! :hihi:

thanks
my drum kit sound keeps improving and I'm actually going back and reconsidering some of it in older stuff

I surprised myself is the thing, I didn't expect those things to just pour out as they did. I never had a real piano to work with. I think playing things like Granados and Albeniz in guitar transcriptions along with all that part-writing in the late romantic lingo formed some indelible stuff in me.

as to the brevity, it was very deliberate and almost conspiratorial, the ending is like a ;)
the motif is pretty sure to reappear but continuing to torture it with variations isn't my way.

But, the more interesting thing to me is the xenochrony, I find a sample in the 'Wind thru Metal' folder that feels right and I stick it on the timeline at 0 - I'm not playing off of it, in the piano things after the fact (didn't do it on the Niv 8B) and for the more boisterous stuff it's possibly a subconscious influence (the first thing I do) but very uncanny things appear from it that absolutely work. 'the sensitive interplay between _ & _ never actually happened'.
a member here known as buzby birchall sells these files from Iceland, donation ware.

*Hidden Sound* is the vendor. brian 'buzby' birchall

so this again, with the much better snare tone. I had a very ringy, abrasive tone I kinda like the brutality of but I like this a lot better:
https://y2u.be/yf82olQ7s1Q
Now this second part with the pianos has world-famous Scott Brazieal doing something live and me on 'enveloping piano' commenting on it. This is an update then on that era and that kind of action. This is such a psychedelic track.

Return to “Music Cafe”