Rumor of a new Microfreak update

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a rumor at this point, but interesting food for thought. New oscillators?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MicroFreak/com ... ame=iossmf

Tried out the new Wavetable User osc presets this morning, though didn’t have time to try any custom WAV’s. Apparently for best results, record them at the lowest F on your keyboard, minus 21 cents. That will translate to A=440 when they get converted on import (assuming you want them to be pitched). It’s also good to make them 1.5 seconds - that’s not required but it makes the best use of the knob travel when scanning.

The faster speed setting for the osc knobs is a welcome addition, too.

It’s not hard to see Arturia eventually adding a custom sampler osc in a later revision, now that they have an upload function in the MCC.

billybuck wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:27 pm It’s not hard to see Arturia eventually adding a custom sampler osc in a later revision, now that they have an upload function in the MCC.
That would be cool though I'm not sure if there's still any spare memory left at this point.

So does this mean we can make the freak sound like other synths by importing their oscillator wave shapes? Or am I misunderstanding how wavetables work or can be used?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

Microfreak update....? ...Yes - Pigments -

Would be sooooo.... cool if they released Pigments HD ( hardware)

I believe it's coming - it's just a matter of time - a new topic may have to appear ;-) :tu:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Cuauhtli wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:52 pm So does this mean we can make the freak sound like other synths by importing their oscillator wave shapes? Or am I misunderstanding how wavetables work or can be used?
I wouldn't say wavetables are great at imitating other synths -- that's not really their strength.
But it's a thing you can try, and you might get results that aren't convincing but are useful in their own way.

Each entry in a wavetable is a single cycle waveform, so trying to grab a 1-osc synth that isn't doing anything particularly complex (maybe a filter sweep, or a morph from sine to square, or a wavefolder) can work. But a 2-osc synth is going to lose its detuning and possibly have some nasty artifacts, noise gets baked in and is no longer noise, phase shifts tend to wreak havoc, etc.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”