having fun with kvr developers

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DaveClark wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:14 am I'm not referring to a code editor versus an IDE. I'm talking about vim and g++ at the command line versus an IDE. But indeed, whatever suits the individual, I agree.
Vim is a text/code editor. :wink:

Probably you are talking about e.g. vim on its vanilla configuration, but my point is that with enough customization effort one can do most tasks inside most popular editors.

There are loads of plugins: clang-autocomplete, ctags, gdb, git, etc. for vim, emacs, Kate, vscodium, sublime, etc.

rafa1981 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 pm but my point is that with enough customization effort one can do most tasks inside most popular editors.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought that you were saying something completely different, i.e. that one might as well use full-blown VS rather than a code editor like Visual Studio Code.

mystran wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:37 am If I could have a tool like Intellisense that (1) just worked 100% of the time and (2) never did anything without an explicit hotkey, then.. sure.. but having a tool only work about 90% of the time and throw all kinds of noise in front of you just isn't for me. It took me some 15 years(?) of trying to use such tools, but .. enough is enough. I've gone to very barebones syntax highlight too, the usual schemes are just too noisy.

Pretty much the only feature I ever miss is "go to definition" .. but like whatever, half the time it doesn't go into the right place anyway and I can search.
I certainly understand this point, really, I did the same for some time. Unfortunately for humongous codebases go to definition is way more effective than grep-based strategies.

Especially when working with C++ the tooling chokes, uses a lot of memory or even segfaults. This has more to do with how a hard problem is to parse (maybe incorrect) C++. With "saner" languages it works well.

What I couldn't live without is "clang-format" on save. Not having to care about formatting, even considering when it struggles is a net productivity booster.

first off, an apology to jupiter8 - when offered a "review posts made while you were posting" i breezed through the last of three :hihi: in my enthusiasm to post what i'd found without realising your last post offered the same information. then, my meant-well statement that "even just replying helps" was another thought i had in my head that seems crass in light of the focused replies i had been receiving. i'm sure you managed to figure that out tho.

and now for the next crass part, "has there been any development in the last two years i haven't been paying attention that i'd find interesting?" :rollseyes: my last thoughts on synthesis were multidimensional oscillators. i noted someone had made a freebie physically modeled snare (i managed to fenangle falstad's ideal circular membrane source for partial amplitude so satisfied there) peeping in at some point. i just check dafx and stuff on youtube.

apart from minor details (phase...! dear god...) my motivating thoughts on voice synthesis is as always an architecture to support user voice models, of course the practical reality is that any such act of intended goodwill will never flourish against the weight of commercial interests obscuring it. the paradigm of time intensive sequencing required for voice synthesis is really suited to a younger, more enthusiastic synthesist than i. my new $210 miniature laptop benches 26 times faster than my old nb205.

i'd love to see some public reception of the multidimensional oscillator. i really enjoyed using those because of the extensive timbral variance they offer. old stuff, but to demonstrate, one key held down with a few tempo synced lfos -
https://xoxos.bandcamp.com/track/electric-eyeliner

off to check the computer music journal link from the other thread. and to see why elan hasn't done anything in years.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

did everyone else lose their hosted downloads here, or just me?
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

rafa1981 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:24 am I certainly understand this point, really, I did the same for some time. Unfortunately for humongous codebases go to definition is way more effective than grep-based strategies.
I work on really big code base (250K files in repo alone, whole debug build is in 100s of GB range), and lot of time go to definition does not work properly. As expected, IntelliSense often downright breaks and when it works it's sluggish at best. I miss neither actually, we explore code on Azure Devops server, and use VS pretty much as text editor + occasional debugging. Even if everything in VS worked it would not be of much use for me. So, as often happens, "it depends" for this topic.

Yeah, at that scale I can imagine that a single machine can barely cope.

On mine we have an around 300 devs during 4 years (pretty modern) codebase and it is still usable. Most of the time the laptop fan is working hard, but this is a cold land so the warmth doesn't go waste.

BTW 100's of GB of executables? What is going on? Crazy templates? What load times does that have?

soz for another pathetic question,

my host (eXT 3.0) doesn't identify the plugins i compiled, i'm looking for a vst3 intrument i can download and test to see if this host is prepared to use vst3.

so far i have been unable to locate a vst3 package with a file in it that isn't an .exe. i understand i'm being overly stringent, but it would be nice to observe the stuff without being screwed by the stuff, since so far, nowt tasks performed on this machine, OS and all software installed twice.

is it unreasonable of me to expect a vst3 not to include an .exe installer these days?

Just for double-checking, but you might already know this; with VST3 you don't need to only copy the DLL/so file, you also need the whole whatever.vst3 folder.

ty, i've noticed i have a definate blindness to what is in front of my face. my reading pattern is wholly accustomed to not finding useful information in the things i read as the standard mode for documentation i've observed more communicates authority instead of anything that imparts. reading all those thesis papers i suppose. i skip right over titles and scan the paragraph for subject, and i've noticed steinberg have explicitly meaningful titles which are not reiterated. nifty stylings there. so this morning i am learning that eg. the vst folder for vst3 must be in programfiles\commonfiles by changing my reading pattern. better late than never. but i still wouldn't have got the "linux not windows instructions" indentation on my own - smaller font, but much bolder. could have been a suffix to the section of individualised instructions. i'll be alright. i'm just not used to coherence in anything i have to depend on in order to do something in society.

if anyone knows, how do you turn off so windows 10 stops asking you to give administrator permission for everything. this matter does not seem to be addressed. i got the "run this app as admin" in properties>shortcut>advanced because of course that makes perfect sense but every time i delete or move something? i measure out my life in unnecessary extra steps because some douchebag wants to make everything like that maybe they're a magician who gets orgasm power for every time they cause someone to do something unnecessary because i sure as f**k can't figure out anything else why i'd need to tell it to do everything twice except that someone wants to suck the life out of me isn't shift delete enough insurance that i really mean to do the thing?

edit: just because i'm whining, steinberg are on about improved sample accurate param modulation in vst3 (wasn't it always?) then give you a tutorial for "nearly sample accurate" - a block of code specifying every 8th sample - and a reference to check one of the examples to see how to make it sample accurate. so one has to go through and A/B two sources rather than an explicit directive for doing what people want to do, like squirreling around A/Bing things is natural fantastic fun for people who would rather be doing the thing. maybe they left me a little chocolate there.

i clear land now, alright?

rafa1981 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:39 pm BTW 100's of GB of executables?
No no no, that is various build artefacts (+ repo contains all testing infrastructure as well with it's own build artefacts). Binaries are much much much leaner than that. I'm not at all sure what is going on inside and nobody knows for sure, that code base is constantly evolving for last 30+ years.

xoxos wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:58 pm if anyone knows, how do you turn off so windows 10 stops asking you to give administrator permission for everything. this matter does not seem to be addressed.
Yeah, it's annoying. Click Start and type "UAC" or "User Account Control". Go there and set the slider to "never notify".

There is also a tool called "Shut up 10". Never tried, but it seams good.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

dear god thank you. "do not dim my desktop" :-?

xoxos wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:58 pm [...] eg. the vst folder for vst3 must be in programfiles\commonfiles [...]

if anyone knows, how do you turn off so windows 10 stops asking you to give administrator permission for everything. this matter does not seem to be addressed. [...] but every time i delete or move something?
Since Windows 7 (I think) every change to whatever file resides within the ProgramFiles folder must be approved by Administrator.
I got sick of that as well, and for specific subfolders of ProgramFiles I have made myself owner of the files, and thus don't need to give that admin approval anymore. Makes life so much easier and still I get protected for shooting myself in the foot or some rogue program shooting at my feet.

Right-click on the file/folder - select Properties - tab Security - select your user & tick "Full control"
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

thanks bert, i'm continually astounded by persons who think they can advance any cause by retarding the entrants. welcome to computing, here's your clown gloves.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”