The Ancient Trail - Mysterious Epic Orchestral Music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys! Today I'm sharing with you my new epic orchestral track, published by Epic Music World. This one is a bit different from my previous works in that it makes use of some not so conventional sounds for the genre, most specifically relating to Eastern European musical traditions, and the atmosphere is overall a bit more mysterious and less straightforward. I hope you'll enjoy it and any feedback is, of course, very much welcomed. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy-1jwPKD8o

I like the production and the overall mood. Reminds of the “medieval” wave of game music that not at least has followed from Game of Thrones. However, by this comparison, I will also emphasize that your music would make it better as background to pictures/movies, because there is really no strong melody or theme to be remembered like in Game of Thrones, which everybody can sing along to. Your movement of voices does not end up in a strong reconizeable theme to me. That makes it hard to keep attention going the four minutes . However, if you really were making game or film music, it could actually be a point NOT to have a strong melody that takes away attention from the game/story/pictures, and a mood like this would do fine. So whether it is a benefit or not depends on your purpose. Choir drowns somewhat, but as said, I like the overall production. There is deffo a touch of pro to it, so nice work as far as that concerns.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:00 am I like the production and the overall mood. Reminds of the “medieval” wave of game music that not at least has followed from Game of Thrones. However, by this comparison, I will also emphasize that your music would make it better as background to pictures/movies, because there is really no strong melody or theme to be remembered like in Game of Thrones, which everybody can sing along to. Your movement of voices does not end up in a strong reconizeable theme to me. That makes it hard to keep attention going the four minutes . However, if you really were making game or film music, it could actually be a point NOT to have a strong melody that takes away attention from the game/story/pictures, and a mood like this would do fine. So whether it is a benefit or not depends on your purpose. Choir drowns somewhat, but as said, I like the overall production. There is deffo a touch of pro to it, so nice work as far as that concerns.
Many thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it, and I'm also glad to know you enjoyed the tune! Could you just please explain what you mean with "Choir drowns somewhat"?

This is an instant like from me, right from the first few bars. Fantastic breadth. Really hits the spot :hyper: :phones:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

ninvoid wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:19 pm Could you just please explain what you mean with "Choir drowns somewhat"?
Volume, the mix, I’d prefer them more up front.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

I like the epicness of this, especially the melodic stuff and arrangement. Though for me the epicness lose its purpose after 2:27 and onwards. It's simply "too loud". It's too extreme.

I'd also recommend that you spread the voicing even more. This way the listener can hear the individual lines more. Though it could also be the mixing that confuse me here.

folderol wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:05 pm This is an instant like from me, right from the first few bars. Fantastic breadth. Really hits the spot :hyper: :phones:
Many thanks for the kind comment, folderol! :-)

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:20 pm
ninvoid wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:19 pm Could you just please explain what you mean with "Choir drowns somewhat"?
Volume, the mix, I’d prefer them more up front.
Thanks for the tip, will try to improve on that on future tracks! :-)

mediumaevum wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:37 pm I like the epicness of this, especially the melodic stuff and arrangement. Though for me the epicness lose its purpose after 2:27 and onwards. It's simply "too loud". It's too extreme.

I'd also recommend that you spread the voicing even more. This way the listener can hear the individual lines more. Though it could also be the mixing that confuse me here.
Many thanks for the feedback, mediumaevum! Could you please explain a bit what you mean with "spread the voicing" and maybe give some suggestions on how I could achieve that? It would be very appreciated!

ninvoid wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:08 pm
mediumaevum wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:37 pm I like the epicness of this, especially the melodic stuff and arrangement. Though for me the epicness lose its purpose after 2:27 and onwards. It's simply "too loud". It's too extreme.

Many thanks for the feedback, mediumaevum! Could you please explain a bit what you mean with "spread the voicing" and maybe give some suggestions on how I could achieve that? It would be very appreciated!
What I mean is your harmony lines should be further apart from each other. More than an octave apart.

The deep voices/lines can have larger intervals between each note, while the upper-voices should be further "squeezed" together. The lower the voicing/lines are, the larger the intervals should be.

mediumaevum wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:52 pm
ninvoid wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:08 pm

What I mean is your harmony lines should be further apart from each other. More than an octave apart.

The deep voices/lines can have larger intervals between each note, while the upper-voices should be further "squeezed" together. The lower the voicing/lines are, the larger the intervals should be.
Thanks for the explanation, I now completely understand what you mean! I agree that the music could benefit from such an approach and will keep it in mind for future works. :-)

Return to “Music Cafe”