Sporadic XRUNS / Linux

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AFAIK, I'm not experiencing this.

5.8.12-200.fc32.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Sep 28 12:17:31 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

what is the 'Zen-kernel' supose to do? i compile my kernel according to my system and is Preemptible with performance governor enabled.

I think it is in the time it takes to wake up a thread waiting on IO.

For what it's worth I'd like to add that I'm not experiencing any of these regular spikes on Manjaro with its stock kernel and no tweaks other than using the performance CPU governor over the default powersave one. I'm using the 'By plug-in' sandboxing setting, and most of the plugins I'm using are either native U-He plugins or Windows VST2 plugins running through yabridge.

I had been experiencing a few xruns at 48k and 256 samples using Ubuntu Studio and the stock optimizations (Low-Latency, performance mode).

Having installed the 3.3beta1, I am now able to get down to 128 samples with only a few xruns. Not sure if that has to do with the new AVx support or other optimizations, but looks like 3.3 could bring a better experience.

I had to turn off the plugin sandboxing to get the minimal amount of pops/stutters, but I haven't done any of the irq priority or Server Synchronous Mode tweaks mentioned earlier.

I'll report back once I've given those steps a try

I think these are related to VSTs... Now I was working with a 32 sample buffer with no problem in 3.3b1 with native devices only.

I just concluded the same experiment, but had the introduction of the native external hardware FX module introduce the xruns as well. If I turn off sandboxing (with the exception of one fussy tool), I'm working pretty well with Bitwig and a few VSTs at 128 samples, with minimal xruns. I'm hoping a few irq priority tweaks can get me completely xrun free. None of the pops and clicks appear to be making into any recorded data, so it's mostly just annoying.

Would also love to have a native IR loader, as that's my fussy tool rn.

I can confirm that using the sandboxing mode with VSTs causes sporadic xruns in Bitwig 3.3 (with Ubuntustudio 20.4., Jack2, buffer size 1024 samples). When choosing "Within Bitwig" everything is fine.

It's sad to return back to this thread, but the problem is occurring again on the same machine. Recently I've switched from Mint to Kubuntu and installed liquorix kernel 5.11 to prevent these regular xruns in Bitwig. Unfortunately it doesn't help anymore.
I use Bitwig 3.3.7 and "Together" sandbox mode. The problem, like before, disappears when I switch to "Within Bitwig" mode.

This might not be applicable here, but my experience has been that the xruns are very dependent on hardware. If I'm only using wifi, then stuff is stable, but once I start using Ethernet then I get very frequent xruns. Though I've noticed this behavior outside of BWS as well.

Maybe this doesn't say much, but perhaps you can try singling out devices and trying to see which of them might be the culprit.
((( ~ )))

hey everyone,

i have rarely xruns on my system running the following setup:
3700X
MSI X570 Gaming EDGE WIfi
32GB of 3200Mhz RAM

5.8.0-48-lowlatency #54~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT
with a Geforce GTX660TI with the proprietary driver
ontop of a default Ubuntu 20.04

I use Jack Audio Server with 512 Samples for Mixing, set to RT of course, and 128 samples for recording, but than disabling folding@home running in the Background.

I did add the following lines to the limits.conf file:

@audio - rtprio 90
@audio - memlock unlimited

you can find the limts.conf here: /etc/security/

at least on Ubuntu and Debian systems...

Inside Bitwig i have the Sandboxing set to "By Manufacturer"

I hope this might help

Yeah, desktop parts are, more often then not, just far more stable and performant. I just set up a Ryzen 5600x in a MSI Tomahawk 550B Mobo and I'm able to get down to 2.3 Ms @ 48kHz/128 samples, no overruns or pops.

My Yoga c950 should be just as powerful, but I can only get it down to 256 samples at 48kHz, and it occasionally glitches out.

I have also found that if you don't need all the flexibility that Jack provides, setting Bitwig to ALSA is just way less hassle and finickiness.

Rn, I just use my laptop for noodling and exploring, or mixing / editing when I'm in bed and I use the desktop when I'm actually recording performances and can't do what I want without the low low latency.

wavedigit wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:35 pm This might not be applicable here, but my experience has been that the xruns are very dependent on hardware. If I'm only using wifi, then stuff is stable, but once I start using Ethernet then I get very frequent xruns. Though I've noticed this behavior outside of BWS as well.

Maybe this doesn't say much, but perhaps you can try singling out devices and trying to see which of them might be the culprit.
Unfortunately, that's not the case here. These periodic Xruns disappear at all only when I turn Bitwig's sandboxing mode off. I would really like to use the plug-in sandboxing again, but just can't because of this issue. And it seems like the problem is so rare and specific that it will not be solved anytime soon (I was hoping that one of the minor 3.3.x releases would fix it, but no).

I think I'm having this issue too, but don't quite have the technical knowledge to know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

I put together a new system, dual booting Linux Mint Cinnamon and Windows 11 (each OS on its own separate physical drive, system info below). I'm not having any "Xrun" issues with Bitwig on Windows, but I am on Linux. Turning off sandboxing as mentioned in this thread improved things significantly, but for me it didn't eliminate Xruns. The odd thing about these Xruns is they don't seem to really correlate with the amount of complexity/polyphony being played, it just seems kind of random (but only happens when playing something). According to System Monitor I'm barely using any CPU, between 2% and 5% when the Xruns happen. I noticed that something called "Gecko" that Firefox uses periodically caused Xruns while also using Bitwig, so closing Firefox improved things a bit more. But there are still these occasional Xruns that are pretty mysterious. I need to completely eliminate Xruns for live performance.

I'm running Pianoteq inside Bitwig, but if I run Pianoteq on its own, I don't get any Xruns at all, no matter if Firefox or anything else is running.

I tried increasing JACK's buffer/latency, but it didn't make any difference. However, I then increased it to a ridiculously huge latency...but the actual latency didn't change, it still feels perfectly responsive. I then opened Pianoteq on its own and tried to adjust the latency there, but it's locked in at 64 samples (supposedly 1.3 ms). So it seems like JACK isn't actually using the settings I made, but possibly locking the buffer extremely low. Bitwig doesn't show what JACK's buffer is set to (grayed out fields).

My audio interface is a Native Instruments Komplete Audio One. Maybe it's setting the buffer and Jack can't control it? I don't know if there's a way (in Linux Mint) to interact with the Komplete Audio One directly. Any ideas?

So anyway, not sure if this could be related to the issue of this thread, but it was the closest thing I've come across, especially since turning off sandboxing made a huge improvement. And likewise, it doesn't matter if I'm using JACK or ALSA. I installed the low-latency kernel, configured real-time access, installed QJackCTL, and Ubuntu Studio Controls (set to "performance" with a2jmidid disabled). Running the latest stable version of Bitwig.

Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon (v. 5.0.6)
Kernel 5.11.20-051120-generic
Ryzen 5600X
16 GB Ram
AMD RX 580 graphics card

You mentioned trying Jack or ALSA, I have found that if I forget about Ubuntu Studio and Jack, and just set Bitwig to use ALSA, it runs great at 128 samples 48k. I am also using the 5600x. One thing I found is that the Infinity fabric business is worth getting tuned up as that timing between motherboard, CPU, and RAM is critical to minimizing xruns.

What motherboard and RAM are you using?

Return to “Bitwig”