VST midi file player?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Your DAW doesn't play midi?

While you have a point arkmabat, consider that we don't have many sequencers or other midi processing tools entirely because the daw is expected to handle all of this.

This means rather than having modular plugins that we can pick and choose as we desire, we're stuck with "the whole package" provided by the daw.

Plugins and modularity are great because they allow us to do whatever we want without being dragged down by the overhead of implementing all the features we don't want. You can create your very own plugin with minimal amounts of c++ experience in a few days, you can find all the help you need here in the dev forum on KVR and you can probably achieve just about anything if you put your mind to it.

If you had to write a complete daw, sequencer, audio and midi i/o, graphics, windowing, synthesizers, audio processing and all those other features you most likely couldn't even begin to make a dent in it.

Modularity is the way to go, and I think if someone wants a plugin that plays MIDI the answer is definitely not "doesn't your daw do that?", it's "that's weird, why isn't there a plugin that does this?"

Make it happen!

I'd love to see a plugin that straight-up plays a microsoft .mid midi sequence without doing anything else. It takes input like sequence position (for sync mode) and tempo (for free mode) from the daw via the VST interface and outputs those event blocks.

I've been wanting to motivate myself to do this but haven't gotten around to it. If such a thing already existed it would save me a whole lot of time and effort and I could if need be build my own to be better rather than starting from scratch.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

EZPlayer...

REAPER

EZPlayer looks far more complicated than I'd prefer, also it takes up half the screen.

Controls needed on a MIDI player plugin:
  1. Load
  2. Switch (sync to host position or free-run)
It could display other stuff but wouldn't really need to. For example you could trigger a sequence to play by note-on or have features like transpose.

OP's post:
Dewdman42 wrote:Anyone know of a simple VST on OSX that can play midifiles?
I don't think Reaper is a VST plugin, at least it wasn't last time I checked.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

There is an old plugin that plays midi files, not for OSX though, win32 only and not too good I guess, only midi file player plugin I am aware of however.

https://sites.google.com/site/zarkoasenov/zerovjane

Oh yeah, load FLS as a plugin into another DAW. Open the midi file.

Not all plugin hosts offer MIDI file playback.

AudioMulch doesn't play MIDI files, but loading in the plugin version of Bidule and it's MIDI File Player module solves that; allowing me to automate MIDI file playback on/off, speed, position, transpose, and any other MIDI effects using AudioMulch's envelopes.
I can have as many instances of this scenerio as I like, different time signatures, phasing patterns, etc...

arkmabat wrote:Oh yeah, load FLS as a plugin into another DAW. Open the midi file.
Dewdman42 wrote:Anyone know of a simple VST on OSX that can play midifiles?

Please allow me to drop the link of a contemporary solution to this ancient problem!
This VirtualKeyboard includes a MIDI player in it (drag and drop or click to load):
https://www.4drx.com/plugins/virtualkeyboard
It is light and simple and compatible with VST/AU 32/64bit OSX/Win

It has to exist by now? I use a VST host (Element) and I would love to have midi files play on command in a Live setting.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

It's 2021 and there's still people out here in dire need for that plugin :P

In my case, I have Ableton controlling a Launchpad MK2. This launchpad doesn't come with all the backlight settings that Launchpad Pro and Ableton Push have, so it's fairly limited.

I want to have midi files playing in different Midi chains, so that when I change my instrument with the chain selector, the midi files sending light info to the launchpad will change accordingly.

I can't really use Session View for that, because I would be taking up space in my arrangement and also being forced to not only change my Midi chain in my User mode (in which it works as a midi controller) but also launch the clip in the Session mode (in which it controls Ableton Live's session with the clips playing and all that jazz)

So... I haven't yet found a simple, free vst that will store a midi file and play it. I don't see a simpler way of achieving what I want...

I think you might lose more time looking for a midi file player than just using a free DAW.

Most players were created for older operating systems (older than Windows 7), when midi files were all the rage, and even if you find one you might have to make some configurations to your OS or even install additional software so that you can play them.

There are plenty free DAWs and one that suits your needs is Cakewalk (now by Bandlab) because it has an integrated plugin named TTS that automatically assigns instruments to midi files and you just press play to hear the sounds.

Hope that helps.

Groove Agent (even SE, bundled with Cubase LE/AI edition often bundled with Steinberg devices and some MIDI controllers) can be abused as a MIDI file player. Though, I'd wish it had a sequence editor, too. I used it to feed MIDI loop examples coming with AIR Drum Synth 500 to the same plugin, all controlled via the pads on my MPK249.

And there is the free Stochas sequence editor, though it can only load ("record") MIDI files through the DAW it seems. And as a sequence editor, it has a fixed pattern length.

Don't know exactly what you try to do, but you could try this one here, it just plays midi synced to your host:

https://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/mediavst.zip

Edit: I see you are on OSX, ignore my post :roll:
Edit2: And I just see this is a necro thread :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”