Bazille bug? - Mapping Generator in increment mode -> Increment per voice instead per note

Official support for: u-he.com
SamDi
KVRist
300 posts since 27 Apr, 2018

Post Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:24 am

Manual says:
Increment ....................consecutive notes step through all values in the map

But it does not increment per note, when you stack voices. Instead it does increment per played voice. So if you have a stack of 3 voices it does increment by 3 steps per played note.

Is it a bug or a feature? Feels like the first to me...

pdxindy
KVRAF
20913 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:48 am

Feature I would say...

Urs
u-he
26206 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:03 am

Feature!

SamDi
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:22 am

Urs wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:03 am
Feature!
But then manual is kind of misleading, isn't?
What's the idea behind it?

Viktor [TUC]
KVRian
500 posts since 18 May, 2007 from Berlin

Post Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:56 am

SamDi wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:22 am
Manual says "consecutive notes", so one note followed by another note followed by another note, and so on. A note being what you play into the synth.
The manual's description is precise, I'd argue.
And the idea is that you can have each played note modulate a target with a specific static value, but a different one per played note.

Hm was probably thinking of a different synth.
Last edited by Viktor [TUC] on Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamDi
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:59 pm

The unshushable Coktor wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:56 am
SamDi wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:22 am
Manual says "consecutive notes", so one note followed by another note followed by another note, and so on. A note being what you play into the synth.
The manual's description is precise, I'd argue.
And the idea is that you can have each played note modulate a target with a specific static value, but a different one per played note.
Yes, but it does just proceed one step for each played note into the synth, when "Stack" in "Voice" is set to 1. When you set "Stack" e.g.to 3, then it proceeds 3 steps per played note. Thus the manual doesn't reflect it completely right in my opinion, because it's not per consecutive note, but per triggered voice.

Urs
u-he
26206 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:16 pm

It is deliberate because only this way can you stack voices and create modulation offsets between the voices. This way you can pan stacked voices differently, time them differently or otherwise let them do different things beyond simple tuning.

Related modulators such as random, stack index and alternate also deliberately create different values per stack voice.

Also, maybe it helps to take the perspective that voice stacking means "playing the same not so and so many times, at once".

Viktor [TUC]
KVRian
500 posts since 18 May, 2007 from Berlin

Post Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:18 pm

SamDi wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:59 pm
Yes, but it does just proceed one step for each played note into the synth, when "Stack" in "Voice" is set to 1. When you set "Stack" e.g.to 3, then it proceeds 3 steps per played note.
You're right, my mistake! I misremembered it.

SamDi
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:44 pm

Urs wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:16 pm
It is deliberate because only this way can you stack voices and create modulation offsets between the voices. This way you can pan stacked voices differently, time them differently or otherwise let them do different things beyond simple tuning.

Related modulators such as random, stack index and alternate also deliberately create different values per stack voice.

Also, maybe it helps to take the perspective that voice stacking means "playing the same not so and so many times, at once".
Ah OK understood. Thanks for your answer, Urs. This leads me to a feature request. How would it be, being able to import mapping patterns via e.g. CSV or whatever? Would offer some nice possibilities doing calculations outside of Bazille :hihi:

Return to “u-he”