Is Halion 6 any good?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's all in the title really... Is Halion 6 any good?

Got a BlackFriday offer for it at 1/2 price and am tempted...

What do the people think? :?:

Did you get an email about that offer? I was wondering if they would announce something on their website, but there's nothing so far.

Examigan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:14 pm Did you get an email about that offer? I was wondering if they would announce something on their website, but there's nothing so far.
https://www.bestservice.com/halion_6.html

Gaz Williams loves it. He and Nick Batt did a fun video about it https://sonicstate.com/amped/2017/07/13 ... -overview/
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I have both HALion 6 and Falcon 2, I prefer the latter. I think it's MUCH easier to program. The Falcon I can program without consulting manuals or training videos (to some extent of course), but HALion is impossible to wrap my head around without manuals and training videos.

But I guess it's very subjective. I think the granular engine is better in HALion, while to me the wavetable ones are comparable. HALion lacks FM synthesis, which Falcon has, but Falcon can't sample (I don't think so at least), while HALion can. I haven't got too deep in any of them, but I think Falcon goes deeper, and there are a lot more sampled libraries (like Kontakt) for Falcon than for HALion.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:35 pm I have both HALion 6 and Falcon 2, I prefer the latter. I think it's MUCH easier to program. The Falcon I can program without consulting manuals or training videos (to some extent of course), but HALion is impossible to wrap my head around without manuals and training videos.

But I guess it's very subjective. I think the granular engine is better in HALion, while to me the wavetable ones are comparable. HALion lacks FM synthesis, which Falcon has, but Falcon can't sample (I don't think so at least), while HALion can. I haven't got too deep in any of them, but I think Falcon goes deeper, and there are a lot more sampled libraries (like Kontakt) for Falcon than for HALion.
After watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p2gMOCla2o

I was thinking the same... I think the only part I like is halotron...

I think this is a hard pass for me... Falcon 2 blows it away by a long way...

Get it Or wait for Absolute 5 offer.
Halion 7 should be released 2022 around Feb +/- 1 month
info from Steinberg www - so when you activate it you'll get 7 for free.
It should also be a part of ABS 5 as a free upgrade - imo. ...Will see.. :party:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

I love Halion. But if you're not fairly experienced, it could be a time sink to learn.

IMO, it's a no-brainer for that price though.

How many guys out there invest time to learn a vst (4 ex. Falcon) ... nr. of available Falcons for sale here means stg....

A shi**y approach to not being able to demo it is surely to blame too !! F...'em... :evil:
...got iLok ...but cannot even try it...
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Weird statement..
- It also can mean that there are a lot more Falcon licenses sold, more sold licenses could also mean more second hand licenses on sale.
- It can also mean most of the HALion licenses are tied to a HW eLicenser dongle, since this was a requirement earlier. You can't move from HW eLicenser to SW eLicenser.
- And, you see 4 Falcon licenses on sale now, but what if there were 8 HALion licenses on sale at one point a couple of months ago?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

AcrossTheSky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 pm Get it Or wait for Absolute 5 offer.
It should also be a part of ABS 5 as a free upgrade - imo. ...Will see.. :party:
Hmmm, now that bundle looks nice, lets see what BF deals come around for it...

I like Halion 6, but it’s not fun IMO. It’s super capable, but there is something about how I navigate the different synth engines that doesn’t feel smooth or inspiring, more tedious and tiring. Lots of good factory sounds.

Is HALIon any good? Sure it is. Very deep featured and amazingly versatile. Is it a PITA to program? Sure is. Is it worth learning? Sure is… as long as you’re ok with discovering and memorizing where they hide all the tools. And there are a lot of them.

Practically anything you can conceptualize to create and modify sound exists within this program. The problem is the UI design. Unlike a can on your desk, filled with pens, pencils and brushes that you can immediately see and choose, the designers chose to put everything into drawers… and in many cases, drawers within drawers. An example: the lowly LFO. Take a look at this manual page for the LFO:
https://steinberg.help/halion/v6/en/hal ... ion_r.html

This is definitely not synth for a casual preset tweaker… but is the most fun rabbit hole to fall into that I’ve ever used when it comes to making sounds of all varieties from scratch. If you aren’t off-put by the UI design and a steep learning curve, Steinberg’s current 50% off sale is a really good deal for what you get.
On a number of Macs

For all the complaints about the ui, there is no mention of the fact that it is modular. You can hide the bits you don't want and show the bits you do. You can save different layouts for different work flows, eg, sound design, patch browsing, etc. It's not perfect, but it helps.

AcrossTheSky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 pm Get it Or wait for Absolute 5 offer.
It was clear that HALion 7 would come with the new activation system next year. But where did you get the info February +/- 1 month?

Return to “Instruments”