Mac vs PC (split from "Apple announce...")

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRer
3 posts since 21 Sep, 2012

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:08 am

ShawnG wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:58 am
"stress free life" is not what I remember from Mac ownership... the sources of stress are different, but less fixable.

twenty years ago most PC's were unstable AF, that argument these days is severely oversold. my PC crashes about as often as my Mac did, which is to say almost never.
I had 8 years of completely trouble free Mac use but she just couldn’t keep up 😢

KVRAF
20427 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:14 am

dellboy wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:15 am
So if stability is important to a person, then by all means pay the Apple tax and enjoy a stress free life. The downside to Macs is the cost and lack of upgrade-ability. The upside to Windows is the lower cost and upgrade-ability. Life is swings and roundabouts.
I'm happy paying the "Apple Tax". That term is not always accurate however. For example, if I were to buy a PC laptop that was the equal of my new 16" MBP, it would not be cheaper. Plus there is no actual equivalent.

I always used to think of upgrade-ability as an important feature, but then I looked back at my computer purchases over the past 2 1/2 decades (mostly Mac's and a couple PC's) and I never actually did upgrade the computers. I always just used them as is until it was time to get a new one. Once I noticed that, I stopped caring about it since I never made use of it anyway.

I always get Apple Care and the few times over the years I've used it, I took my laptop into the Apple Store, they fixed the issue while I waited and I went home.

KVRAF
20427 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:23 am

dellboy wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:11 am
But I guess Mac owners have Apple care and trade ins to fall back on as long as they are willing to pay, which is sort of stress free as long as the wallet can bear it.
As a professional who depended on my computers for work, the cost of Macs is minimal. A one to two week job paid for any of my computers over the years. The cost of buying Apple along with Apple Care is fairly insignificant an expense in the overall budget. Plus I've never had more than half a day downtime in 20 years which is money in the bank!

KVRAF
1779 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:57 am

pdxindy wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:14 am
if I were to buy a PC laptop that was the equal of my new 16" MBP, it would not be cheaper. Plus there is no actual equivalent.
That's because there is no current PC laptop that is equal to yours. Apple have nailed the laptop market with that one if the reviews are correct. So no amount of money could buy a PC laptop that is as powerful, quiet, and has such long battery life. And they look to dominate the laptop market for some time to come. So if you want a laptop, and can afford it, then by all means indulge yourself. But lets get truthful about the Apple "tax", its real. Deviate from the base models and you have to pay well over the market price for ram and bigger hard drives.

KVRian
1175 posts since 23 Sep, 2004 from Kocmoc

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:47 am

sentient.minority wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:08 am
ShawnG wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:58 am
"stress free life" is not what I remember from Mac ownership... the sources of stress are different, but less fixable.

twenty years ago most PC's were unstable AF, that argument these days is severely oversold. my PC crashes about as often as my Mac did, which is to say almost never.
I had 8 years of completely trouble free Mac use but she just couldn’t keep up 😢
I've had 8+ years of completely trouble free PC use but this then-behemoth 6core cannot anymore keep up much :(
Soft Knees - Demoscene - Live 10 - Diva - Omnisphere - Slate Digital VSX - TDR - Kush Audio - Fabfilter - PA - Valhalla - Fuse - Pulsar - NI - OekSound etc...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”