Goodbye, dear plugin! Those that won't make the Apple M1 transition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've used Crystal for as long as I can remember. The ability to generate new patches from a pair of old ones was way ahead of its time and it's still a rare feature. The latest version still contains PPC32/64 binaries in it. I doubt that it will be recompiled for arm64.

So, I doff my hat and bid a find farewell to Crystal.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Honorable mentions go out to Luxonix LFX-1310 and the old ReFX plugs. Despite being stuck in 32-bit land, they still saw some use.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I am no Mac expert at all, but will it work with Rosetta?

life is a journey, why stand still?

Examigan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:35 pm I am no Mac expert at all, but will it work with Rosetta?
Crystal will, as it's 64-bit, but it will never run natively. I'm sure some enterprising young programmer will write a bridge. I believe Reaper and Bitwig both have bridges rolled in already.

However, I'm sure Rosetta will go away at some point, same as the original did, once Apple feels that their transition is complete.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not really worried about this M1 thing (as I don't see myself ever going Apple's route).
HOWEVER, I might be going the ARM's route at some point, as there's a chance it'll become a solid contender in the PC world in the next few years.

Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 pm I'm not really worried about this M1 thing (as I don't see myself ever going Apple's route).
HOWEVER, I might be going the ARM's route at some point, as there's a chance it'll become a solid contender in the PC world in the next few years.
Windows is already out in the wild on tablets with an ARM version. I'm not sure if it's running applications through a translation layer a la Rosetta, or you need to find ARM-compatible software.

I've heard rumors that M$ wants to push in that direction. Really strange times for competes these days.

I am glad I just bought an 10th gen. i7-based PC last year and am happy with it.

syntonica wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:54 pm I've heard rumors that M$ wants to push in that direction.
You heard right. Unlike with Apple, this will take decades though (until it's all-encompassing). IF there won't be another architecture by then.

Lots of if's there. I say that there will be never be a single architecture, but, it will go on in parallel. That's the best anyway. Look at this bloody mess Apple created for developers and users. Microsoft always was about compatibility, although Windows 11 is a bit of a blow for that. Nonetheless, it probably will never be like with Apple, i.e. that they excercise full control over the user's hardware.

rip camel-phat :(

vurt wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:49 pm life is a journey, why stand still?
To contradict the universe? Though, since it's expanding at ~46 miles per second, you'd be long out of sight before anyone noticed your protest.
syntonica wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:54 pm Windows is already out in the wild on tablets with an ARM version.
I've heard rumors that M$ wants to push in that direction.
They're under an exclusive contract with Qualcomm, who've (by many accounts) made a poor job of their hardware based x86 emulation. Until there's a high performing x86/64 solution MS know it makes ARM a difficult, if not pointless, proposition for many of their "business partners". MS probably can't wait until the contract ends, considering it's now obvious they backed the wrong horse, so to speak..

Also ironic that Apple, who arguably needs this aspect much less than Microsoft, then proceeded to show how to get good performance from x64 code.

BTW - It's only "goodbye" for now. You'll probably be able to run that old software via emulation again, some day.. :tu:

roringtonsmithe wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:34 pm rip camel-phat :(
Unless you use Logic

chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:16 pmLook at this bloody mess Apple created for developers and users.
It's not a mess for me... Today I added a 100 duplicate tracks of a Dune 3 preset each playing 4-6 notes and my new MBP was nowhere near its limit. And that is with the project @ 96khz! Plus it was barely even warm and it was silent. Best freaking laptop ever made! Apple has done a great job IMO.

PAK wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:00 am
vurt wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:49 pm life is a journey, why stand still?
To contradict the universe? Though, since it's expanding at ~46 miles per second, you'd be long out of sight before anyone noticed your protest.
syntonica wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:54 pm Windows is already out in the wild on tablets with an ARM version.
I've heard rumors that M$ wants to push in that direction.
They're under an exclusive contract with Qualcomm, who've (by many accounts) made a poor job of their hardware based x86 emulation. Until there's a high performing x86/64 solution MS know it makes ARM a difficult, if not pointless, proposition for many of their "business partners". MS probably can't wait until the contract ends, considering it's now obvious they backed the wrong horse, so to speak..
Aparently not for too long, though.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/3 ... uch-longer

pdxindy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:24 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:16 pmLook at this bloody mess Apple created for developers and users.
It's not a mess for me... Today I added a 100 duplicate tracks of a Dune 3 preset each playing 4-6 notes and my new MBP was nowhere near its limit. And that is with the project @ 96khz! Plus it was barely even warm and it was silent. Best freaking laptop ever made! Apple has done a great job IMO.
After hearing PC fan noise for 30 years, I find it a blessing to use my absolutely silent M1 Mini. I will never go back to the Windows realm.

Return to “Instruments”