Using a DI between guitar and USB Interface?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone do this? What are the benefits? Is it much different from using a buffered effects pedal with low impedance output?

If possible, please recommend me a good DI :)

I find plugging my guitar directly into my Focusrite 2i2 doesn't sound the greatest with amp sims, so I am considering trying a DI.

It isn't "much" different from using a buffered effects pedal, so if you have those, you might not need one. I use a direct box, but mine is cheap, and just crapped out on me the other day, so I will not recommend that one. most DI's have a ground loop switch that can cut back on noise if that is an issue. Most DI's will also have an amp out, allowing you to keep the guitar signal going to an amp for recording, while simultaneously delivering a dry signal to the DAW where it could be used for sims, or reamping.

ShawnG wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:15 am It isn't "much" different from using a buffered effects pedal, so if you have those, you might not need one. I use a direct box, but mine is cheap, and just crapped out on me the other day, so I will not recommend that one. most DI's have a ground loop switch that can cut back on noise if that is an issue. Most DI's will also have an amp out, allowing you to keep the guitar signal going to an amp for recording, while simultaneously delivering a dry signal to the DAW where it could be used for sims, or reamping.
Yeah, that sounds great about splitting the signal simultaneously to a real amp while also capturing direct for "re-amping" with software. Does the ground lift create any danger electrically? Is there anything I'd have to be careful of, either hurting myself or blowing something up when lifting the ground?

Currently looking at a Radial J48.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:19 am
Yeah, that sounds great about splitting the signal simultaneously to a real amp while also capturing direct for "re-amping" with software. Does the ground lift create any danger electrically? Is there anything I'd have to be careful of, either hurting myself or blowing something up when lifting the ground?

Currently looking at a Radial J48.
it's unlikely that you would encounter the sort of circumstances that would hurt you at home in a studio, but in live environments with big powered mixers, guitar amps, and microphones, it could happen. I've played gigs where there was a difference in electrical potential between the Mixer and my Amp, and got a painful electric shock right in the mouth. a lot. fun times.

should also say that the only noise the ground loop can fix is noise related to difference on potential of electrically powered things in your studio. it won't fix noise from your PC and monitors, etc... just find a good place to play in your studio where that doesn't happen.

I get my best Gtr input from an old MOTU Traveler HiZ.

I'd consider a SSL 2 or a Golden Age Project Pre-73 Jr. Both similar in price to the DI box.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Radial is a good choice if you have the coin. The DI box will impart more tone than some might suggest - it surprised me when I was doing research. What I noted from others was to pair passive instruments with active boxes and active instruments with passive boxes.

I went for a dbx, which is sitting right next to me now - affordable and sounds fine. The pad is also nice as I can cut the level and then use makeup gain in the Clarett, which sounds perfectly clean.

Been studying and testing some boxes these weeks... IK Z-tone is the most interesting one. There's an orange-needled knob that allows to adjust its electrical impedance, so that if you plug your guitar directly into it (or all pedals true-bypassed) the magnetic pickups will respond differently as well as the sound. The downside is that the thru output does not function when it's unpowered. Mine is the pedal version ("Buffer Boost").

Rupert Neve RNDI is the other one that is staying. Very clean and crisp attacks, awesome for rhythm playing and sounds great with bass guitar. It's a sonic revelation should I say, not a hype!

J48 has a tinge of coloration that I'm not sure I liked - just a personal, very subjective taste! It's definitely decent, and the coolest about it is the "merge" button that rewires the thru output as a 2nd input, for a stereo source for example. But I've sold it, anyways!

shawshawraw wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:34 am Been studying and testing some boxes these weeks... IK Z-tone is the most interesting one. There's an orange-needled knob that allows to adjust its electrical impedance, so that if you plug your guitar directly into it (or all pedals true-bypassed) the magnetic pickups will respond differently as well as the sound. The downside is that the thru output does not function when it's unpowered. Mine is the pedal version ("Buffer Boost").

Rupert Neve RNDI is the other one that is staying. Very clean and crisp attacks, awesome for rhythm playing and sounds great with bass guitar. It's a sonic revelation should I say, not a hype!

J48 has a tinge of coloration that I'm not sure I liked - just a personal, very subjective taste! It's definitely decent, and the coolest about it is the "merge" button that rewires the thru output as a 2nd input, for a stereo source for example. But I've sold it, anyways!
Thanks for your insights. The IK Multimedia definitely interests me - it seems to be geared towards what I want.

So I'm guessing for guitar DI you'd use the balanced XLR output and connect that to the USB interface?

Unaspected wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:51 am Radial is a good choice if you have the coin. The DI box will impart more tone than some might suggest - it surprised me when I was doing research. What I noted from others was to pair passive instruments with active boxes and active instruments with passive boxes.

I went for a dbx, which is sitting right next to me now - affordable and sounds fine. The pad is also nice as I can cut the level and then use makeup gain in the Clarett, which sounds perfectly clean.
Is the DBX called the 'DB12'? I'm thinking active is the way to go.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:22 am So I'm guessing for guitar DI you'd use the balanced XLR output and connect that to the USB interface?
Yes. An XLR cable to the interface's mic input. (+48v on usually)

ShawnG wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:41 am should also say that the only noise the ground loop can fix is noise related to difference on potential of electrically powered things in your studio. it won't fix noise from your PC and monitors, etc... just find a good place to play in your studio where that doesn't happen.
I had to move two cities over to find that spot. :lol:

Seriously, I had such bad noise no matter what in my old San Mateo house. I could never figure out the issue, but a Hum Decimator pedal did help a lot. Moved last June and the hum and noise was gone. Exact same rig.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:44 pm
ShawnG wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:41 am should also say that the only noise the ground loop can fix is noise related to difference on potential of electrically powered things in your studio. it won't fix noise from your PC and monitors, etc... just find a good place to play in your studio where that doesn't happen.
I had to move two cities over to find that spot. :lol:

Seriously, I had such bad noise no matter what in my old San Mateo house. I could never figure out the issue, but a Hum Decimator pedal did help a lot. Moved last June and the hum and noise was gone. Exact same rig.
unfortunately not much you can do if you have dirty electrical supply. Thankfully the noise at my house is more manageable. if I'm sitting in my studio chair it's terrible, if I turn away in my chair, or stand three feet away, it's fine. doesn't even matter very much if its single coils or humbuckers, still significant noise on my chair (single coils are a bit worse tho) my Dean ML with EMG actives is dead silent though.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:25 am
Unaspected wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:51 am Radial is a good choice if you have the coin. The DI box will impart more tone than some might suggest - it surprised me when I was doing research. What I noted from others was to pair passive instruments with active boxes and active instruments with passive boxes.

Is the DBX called the 'DB12'? I'm thinking active is the way to go.
I have the basic Di1 - half the price at under £50. Rock solid unit.

This chap is using a Focusrite interface with several DI boxes.
https://youtu.be/6eS-tcuHqb0
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Return to “Guitars”