Arturia V Collection 8.2 Up - M1, Faster, Better GUIs etc

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FotoxBr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:50 pm
syntonica wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:43 pm I have V6 still and most of them were updated to include M1 support. YAY!

*There are a couple that have not yet been updated, like the Stage73. You'll see which they are when you run the update as they will not get said update.

The big downside is that with the fat binaries, Arturia takes up even more disk space... :cry:
Stage 73 is native M1 for me now in V8. I believe everything is native now.
Fortunately, the ones I really wanted were updated for me in V6. If I have to say goodbye to the Stage 73, it won't be the end of the world. Maybe it was just an oversight and Arturia will send it along in the next update.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

FotoxBr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:50 pm
syntonica wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:43 pm I have V6 still and most of them were updated to include M1 support. YAY!

*There are a couple that have not yet been updated, like the Stage73. You'll see which they are when you run the update as they will not get said update.

The big downside is that with the fat binaries, Arturia takes up even more disk space... :cry:
Stage 73 is native M1 for me now in V8. I believe everything is native now.
there are 2 stages.... a V(1) and a V2. the older versions aren't updated, i think JUP-V3 will also not have an update, indeed it hasn't.... but all the versions that are current, even down to v collection 5, they will be updated...

Scotty wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:09 pm Well I got updates to newer versions with enhanced features without having updated to the newest collection. Most notably the Synclavier update some time ago. Finally I did upgrade to get the extra instruments as well... I wonder if V7 owners get the updated versions as well. It seems a good practice to do so, as thankful customers are more likely to get over the fence to upgrades...
Sometimes you pay for an update with Arturia. I paid for updates for Jupiter 8V (V4), Stage 73 V, Piano V2 and Analog Lab 5. I wasn't on the latest collection when they updated them and they weren't automatically upgraded. As stated, it depends on what you own and other variables that Arturia decides. In Arturia's case if there is a fee is is usually around $10 to 20 USD and worth it in my opinion unless you are in a position to upgrade to the latest collection which I did this last Black Friday.
Yes, thats correct, I paid I think 29 for Jupiter 8 V4. But this is listed now as a separate product in my account and I would be able to sell it if I upgrade to V9 (I am on V7 and not interested in V8). The updates to Synclavier I got for free are not listed separately which makes sense... The new Jupiter was a completely new implementation, whereas the Synclavier a normal update...
It seems I get updates for all my V7 instruments except for Jupiter 8 V3 and Stage 73 V3. Enough arguments for M1 owners to go to V8 if they didn't do it yet... (I will get a M1 soon, but as Bitwig user I can happily mix native and Rosetta plugins)

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:30 am (I will get a M1 soon, but as Bitwig user I can happily mix native and Rosetta plugins)
Just to be clear, almost every DAW besides the obvious Cubase (and FL Studio) can access Rosetta x86 AU plug ins alongside native VST and AU. Live, Logic, DP, Reaper etc. etc.

Bitwig is the only one I know of that accesses the x86 VST version alongside the native though.

Another shout out to Arturia, the deprecated Spark 2 has been updated to run in Rosetta fluidly. This is great, I think I'm jumping back on that drum machine, haven't found any combo I like as much, went down the MPC and Machine rabbit hole only to learn they're clunky or simply can't do odd time signatures in their sequencers. XO is 4/4 only as well, it's crazy to me how this works these days.

So I played around with the V Collection yesterday and tried out all the instruments, great collection. The thing that suprised me the most was the Solina, wow, that thing sounds great.

As for the M1, I made a small test with a few instruments on a track first Rozetta, then native. The performance improvement was around 10%, so if you are close to maxing out, this might give you the headroom you need.

mcbpete wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:28 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:22 pm Yup- there are plenty of other dev's would have charged for an update like that....I'm sat watching my 30 Arturia instruments update ;-)
Who would ....cough cough ... Waves ... cough cough ... IK Multimedia ... do such a thing ?! :neutral:
Waves V13 was free for anyone with current WUP. IK updated MODO DRUM and SampleTank 4 for native M1 for free.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:33 am
mcbpete wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:28 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:22 pm Yup- there are plenty of other dev's would have charged for an update like that....I'm sat watching my 30 Arturia instruments update ;-)
Who would ....cough cough ... Waves ... cough cough ... IK Multimedia ... do such a thing ?! :neutral:
Waves V13 was free for anyone with current WUP. IK updated MODO DRUM and SampleTank 4 for native M1 for free.
True, but this update as a lot more than M1 support which the vast majority of people don't benefit from so its nice to have free updates that add really use features and performance enhancements that everyone cam benefit from.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

flori89 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:29 am So I played around with the V Collection yesterday and tried out all the instruments, great collection. The thing that suprised me the most was the Solina, wow, that thing sounds great.
The Solina is lovely. My own big surprise when I upgraded was the Vocoder. Sounds awesome, best I own (and I own a fair few).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 am
flori89 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:29 am So I played around with the V Collection yesterday and tried out all the instruments, great collection. The thing that suprised me the most was the Solina, wow, that thing sounds great.
The Solina is lovely. My own big surprise when I upgraded was the Vocoder. Sounds awesome, best I own (and I own a fair few).
I got V-Collection for the Solina, initially, and upgraded for the Juno. Solina is still my most used synth.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Don't know if this will help anyone else, but I had some problems with Ableton Live crashing on startup after installing all the Arturia updates and it took me a couple hours to figure it out. I hadn't launched it in a few weeks, and Softube recently updated all their plugins as well, so I had about 100 plugins that needed to be rescanned all at once.

Most DAWs/hosts launch a separate process for scanning each plugin, but Ableton Live doesn't, so if any plugin crashes during validation it can take down Live itself, and when you relaunch Live, it tries to rescan all the newly updated plugins all over again.

What ended up working is moving everything out of my VST2 folder (I'm on a Mac, so that's /Library/Audio/Plugins/VST) to a folder on my desktop, starting up Live, and confirming it's now stable (AU and VST3 plugins don't cause this issue…Live seems to have a different way of scanning those, and uses some sort of legacy code for scanning VST2s that isn't as robust). Then, while Live was running, I moved a handful of plugins back into my VST2 folder, clicked "Rescan" under Preferences > Plugins, and just repeated that process a little bit at a time. I was trying to isolate which one is bad, but it turns out they're all fine, and the real issue is there are certain plugins that can't be scanned together in the same run or it will eventually lead to a crash. Don't know why. All I know is that moving all the plugins out, bringing them back in small chunks, and rescanning each time eventually got me up and running again.

Ableton should probably do what everyone else does and start spawning a separate process for scanning each VST2 to avoid this whole mess in the future.
Last edited by Arashi on Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stormchild

zipb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:45 pm I get an error on installing Wurli V2. re-install, same problem. Does it work for other people?
I didn't have any problems installing any of the updates, but Wurli V2 was the only one that failed validation repeatedly in Logic Pro. I had to just keep retrying it until it worked (took 3–4 tries). Could be a coincidence.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:09 am Don't know if this will help anyone else, but I had some problems with Ableton Live crashing on startup after installing all the Arturia updates and it took me a couple hours to figure it out. I hadn't launched it in a few weeks, and Softube recently updated all their plugins as well, so I had about 100 plugins that needed to be rescanned all at once.

Most DAWs/hosts launch a separate process for scanning each plugin, but Ableton Live doesn't, so if any plugin crashes during validation it can take down Live itself, and when you relaunch Live, it tries to rescan all the newly updated plugins all over again.

What ended up working is moving everything out of my VST2 folder (I'm on a Mac, so that's /Library/Audio/Plugins/VST) to a folder on my desktop, starting up Live, and confirming it's now stable (AU and VST3 plugins don't cause this issue…Live seems to have a different way of scanning those, and uses some sort of legacy code for scanning VST2s that isn't as robust). Then, while Live was running, I moved a handful of plugins back into my VST2 folder, clicked "Rescan" under Preferences > Plugins, and just repeated that process a little bit at a time. I was trying to isolate which one is bad, but it turns out they're all fine, and the real issue is there are certain plugins that can't be scanned together in the same run or it will eventually lead to a crash. Don't know why. All I know is that moving all the plugins out, bringing them back in small chunks, and rescanning each time eventually got me up and running again.

Ableton should probably do what everyone else does and start spawning a separate process for scanning each VST2 to avoid this whole mess in the future.
I use a custom folder and when I have those kinds of issues I just deselect the custom folder option and then reselect it. That forces Live to rescan all plugins and that usually fixes things.

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 am
Yea the vocoder is really cool, especially that you can load samples in it, this is all so well thought through it's mindblowing.

I only first got the V8 collection a few months ago and the FX collection a few days ago. I began updating all of my Arturia stuff as soon as I saw this thread and it's all currently updating in the background as I write this post. I like devs who are on top of things. I'm pretty happy with both of those collections that I've recently bought.

Smoother and quicker graphics are always welcome and I don't have an M1 Mac yet, but I plan to get a new Mac next year sometime, so being M1 native is a positive thing to see.

Return to “Instruments”