Goodbye, dear plugin! Those that won't make the Apple M1 transition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:14 am Really? You never heard of liquid cooling? My last 2-in-1 was liquid cooled, it didn't even have a fan. I bought it more than 3 years ago now so Apple are just catching up. Seems ignorance is a prerequisite for Apple fandom. Or maybe it's just gullibility?
The near complete noiseless operation with the kind of workstation workloads the new m1 processors are capable of pulling (optionally while under battery power) in both real and synthetic benchmarks on the minis and the laptops is class leading. Water-cooling 2 in 1 solutions are not needed. The processors are efficient. No technological edge is permanent but to deny the efficiency and performance of this new platform as it stands today is obtuse. The Mac users have something to crow about.
Last edited by Scotty on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

jamcat wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:54 am There are a few that I have that are indespensible that I am worried about: Relab LX480, Parallax-Audio Virtual Sound Stage 2, and PG-8X.

I am particularly concerned about these because they don’t even support VST3, which I take as a bad sign.

I have already written off PhoenixVerb because iZotope (the worst audio company since Roger Nichols Digital) has made it clear they have killed it off. I’ve found Acon Digital Verberate is an adequate replacement.
Yeah. I'm going to have to write off all my Izotopev stuff, probably. I'm really going to miss Breaktweaker. Aside from the cramped GUI, it's a fantastic drum machine with samples and synthesis. I have Logic, but I like BT more than Ultrabeat/Designer due to all the poly rhythmic stuff and the micro-editing.

Fortunately, we live in a time where everybody and their dog have a reverb and they're all good. I'm probably going to get VVV or Valhalla Room for a workhorse reverb.

I have both Omnisphere and Synthmaster 2, both m1 compatible, but I have my own issues with them. So, I'm also in the market for a workhorse VST synth. It's between probably Hive and Diva, depending on which plugins I can salvage.

Bizarrely, despite what their website says, Chromaphone 2 and a couple other AAS plus have ARM components in their binaries. Ultra Analog 2 doesn't, but there might be a new installer out there. And most of my Arturia plugins were updated, those that don't have major version revisions I need to pay for in an upgrade, like the J8.

I took a look at PG-8X. It looks like the programmer used an older version of WDL-OL, so maybe a switch to the newer iPlug2 framework will solve all the issues with it. It was last updated 08/20, so it's probably not moribund.

Regardless, once I get my new computer, it's going to take a week to install what I want after verifying it has an ARM version available. I don't want to install any Intel-only plugins. I have a ton of stuff I bought for very cheap that I won't feel bad about moving on from' but there's a couple of gems that I might not be able too save.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I tried to install Windows 11 on a laptop I bought for one of my kids just two years ago, but it wasn't compatible with it. Oh well. My desktop PC can use it, but I will wait a while before I try it out.

I moved to the dark side and there's no plugin that I'm missing.

BUT... I know that FXpansion Tremor is on "life support", so to speak. Still works in Ableton Live 11 with rosetta 2 (with some dropped video frames :( ), but who knows for how long.

Scotty wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:46 am
BONES wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:14 am Really? You never heard of liquid cooling? My last 2-in-1 was liquid cooled, it didn't even have a fan. I bought it more than 3 years ago now so Apple are just catching up. Seems ignorance is a prerequisite for Apple fandom. Or maybe it's just gullibility?
The near completely noiseless operation with the kind of workstation workloads the new m1 are capable of pulling in both real and synthetic benchmarks on the minis and the laptops is class leading. Water-cooling 2 in 1 solutions are not needed. The processors are efficient. No technological edge is permanent but to deny the efficiency and performance of this new platform as it stands today is obtuse. The Mac users have something to crow about.
Dont bother, various people over the course of at least 3 threads tried to explain it to him already, but his blind contempt towards apple is preventing him any objectivity on the matter

There’s a lot to fault apple for, but not these chips.

Markus Krause wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:24 am Windows 11 does not require TPM 2.0. TPM 1.2 is sufficient.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ifications
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0. Check here for instructions on how your PC might be enabled to meet this requirement.
It doesn't matter that you can install it on other hardware. You can also install it on below 8th gen Intels. Microsoft has reserved to block future updates, or else, if your machine doesn't meet the specifications.

Apart from that, from a security point of view, the 8th gen Intel minimum requirement also doesn't make any sense. Don't fool yourself. Windows 11 was created to make money with computers sold by OEM's. You may remember that Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be the last Windows ever. Yet here they come with Windows 11, in times where everything sells like hot cakes, and they feel like they want to have a piece of that pie, alongside the computer manufacturers. THAT is the reason why Windows 11 exists, and THAT is the reason why those system requirements exist. To tell you to get rid of your old computer, and buy a new one.

I don't even blame them for that. There's always two sides, the one which sells, and the one which buys. It's fine. At some point, I will also have a Windows 11 computer here. It's just that I don't fool myself into thinking that such system requirements are anything but synthetically imposed stuff to make people buy a new PC. :shrug:

Microsoft doesn't seem to be on the list of companies you think you need to defend by all means....

Rasmuskump, such dir bitte mal einen anderen Nutzer aus, den du trollen kannst. Gibt hier eine große Auswahl. Danke schön.
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't get all the hate that Microsoft gets. The upgrade to Win11 is optional and free (inofficially even for Win7/8 users) . Win10 will still be supported for several years. So
noone is forced to upgrade or buy a new PC.
I'll keep Win10 on my productive system, since this one also works fine. Win11 is on my gaming machine and will stay there.

I personally like the enhanced user-interface of Win11 and the cleaned-up style. The OS is very stable and boots up faster than Win10.
Please keep in mind that I am not a fanboy. I really hated Vista an Win8

This new MBP 14" is the best computer I've ever tried (and I had pretty great PC desktops in the past). I hope all developers can make the transition to fully support these amazing machines.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:10 pm This new MBP 14" is the best computer I've ever tried (and I had pretty great PC desktops in the past). I hope all developers can make the transition to fully support these amazing machines.
I think most updates have to do with ROI--how much effort will the update take vs how much revenue (or good will) will the update generate. A lot of older stuff that no longer really sells will probably not be updated.

For most software, it's just a matter of flipping a switch. For video/audio and other CPU-intensive tasks, it's a little more involved, but the tools are easily available to use to make quick work of the update.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

i can't believe things devolve into 'mac vs pc' arguments. it's SO old. and, 98% of the time, people tend to (gasp) prefer the platform they coincidentally are familiar with. who cares?

and when someone does switch platforms, it's not an astonishing moment, it's just a moment.

am looking forward to a silicon (pro) imac in 2022, and if, down the line, i lose a plugin, i'll... find something else, and life will go on.

fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:04 pm i can't believe things devolve into 'mac vs pc' arguments. it's SO old. and, 98% of the time, people tend to (gasp) prefer the platform they coincidentally are familiar with. who cares?

and when someone does switch platforms, it's not an astonishing moment, it's just a moment.

am looking forward to a silicon (pro) imac in 2022, and if, down the line, i lose a plugin, i'll... find something else, and life will go on.
Good for you (honestly).
Now, let us people discuss about that here, please. Some of us do enjoy that.

So far I don't have any plugins that give me troubles on my M1 Mac Mini. If that happens, I'll cut them loose, but so far I'm good. The native plugins have a little bit of performance improvement though, but considering how well this thing deals with audio, I'm not too concerend about that.

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:40 pm
fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:04 pm i can't believe things devolve into 'mac vs pc' arguments. it's SO old. and, 98% of the time, people tend to (gasp) prefer the platform they coincidentally are familiar with. who cares?

Good for you (honestly).
Now, let us people discuss about that here, please. Some of us do enjoy that.
the mac vs pc thing? you do know that the OP started a very-different discussion? anyway, go for it; it's always entertaining (if not actually useful). :tu:

Return to “Instruments”