Goodbye, dear plugin! Those that won't make the Apple M1 transition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:14 am]
Really? You never heard of liquid cooling? My last 2-in-1 was liquid cooled, it didn't even have a fan.
Living on a boat doesn't make it liquid cooled...and that sea breeze is salty

You know, unlike some of you here, I'd like to be able to play some of my most beloved softsynths 20 years from now. So, I hope you're right, and it won't be that difficult to make them work by then.
BTW, that's one of the very reasons I don't consider switching to Apple at all. When they say something is over, it's over (I already owned Apple gear), and I don't like feeling that powerless.

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 pm You know, unlike some of you here, I'd like to be able to play some of my most beloved softsynths 20 years from now. So, I hope you're right, and it won't be that difficult to make them work by then.
BTW, that's one of the very reasons I don't consider switching to Apple at all. When they say something is over, it's over (I already owned Apple gear), and I don't like feeling that powerless.
20 years from now? good luck with that, on any platform. the key might be to keep your current computer for 20 years, and not update anything. personally, am not afraid of change, or new synths; i find that inspiring. but whatever works....

fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:25 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 pm You know, unlike some of you here, I'd like to be able to play some of my most beloved softsynths 20 years from now. So, I hope you're right, and it won't be that difficult to make them work by then.
20 years from now? good luck with that, on any platform. the key might be to keep your current computer for 20 years, and not update anything. personally, am not afraid of change, or new synths; i find that inspiring. but whatever works....
I’ve got a bunch of plugins that I purchased in the early to mid 2000s that still work on my Windows 10 box, so honestly I don’t think it’ll be a stretch to expect them to keep working a few more years.

What bothers me more is having to upgrade/change things like audio interfaces because Apple’s decided to reject yet another data transfer standard and provide no avenue for backward compatibility. Also, nice job making your laptop the thickness of a saltine cracker, but I’d like some i/o, please.

Basically, I want a Mac Pro, but I’m not about to drop $6k on a computer because it looks like a futuristic cheese grater.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Sure. Again, good for you.

@zerocrossing:
I can run my rme firewire ff800 that came out in 2004 on my M1.
What do you want to run on new macs, SCSI?
It’s not apple’s fault some manufacturer plan obsolescence after 3 years.

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:33 pm
I’ve got a bunch of plugins that I purchased in the early to mid 2000s that still work on my Windows 10 box, so honestly I don’t think it’ll be a stretch to expect them to keep working a few more years.
Just out of curiosity, are they 32-bit plugins?
I'm not a tech expert, but I assume it'll be more feasible to see current 64-bit plugins working fine 20 years from now than 2000s plugins working fine these days. Overall personal computer technologies are more mature and stable these days.

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:33 pm

What bothers me more is having to upgrade/change things like audio interfaces because Apple’s decided to reject yet another data transfer standard and provide no avenue for backward compatibility. Also, nice job making your laptop the thickness of a saltine cracker, but I’d like some i/o, please.

Basically, I want a Mac Pro, but I’m not about to drop $6k on a computer because it looks like a futuristic cheese grater.
have you seen the new macbook pros? more i/o, and less thin. no matter what, tech moves forward, and developers and hardware makers keep up... or don't. moving forward is a good thing (despite some people having a fit when their perfect moment ends).

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm
progress (not always easy, or perfect) is still, good for everyone...

fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:25 pm 20 years from now? good luck with that, on any platform.
hardware-wise (i.e.: not plugin) it's working quite well
even with 40 years:
minimoog, ms20, micromoog, system100 still playing fine and problemfree...
ms20, minimoog have not been serviced ever iirc

fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm
FisherKing, look. We're talking about musical instruments here. That's a really personal thing, you know?

I don't care how old an instrument is, where it comes from, how was it made, is it virtual or real... If I find something special, inspiring to me, it'll always be special, and I will always care dearly for it. That's it.

I got your point, you get inspired by progress. That's fine. I'm not like you, however, and I don't understand why you keep arguing about that. Can we now move on, please?

fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm progress (not always easy, or perfect) is still, good for everyone...
I'll burn your house down and cut off your leg. Then I'll sell you a new house and prosthetic. Progress! Inspirational! 8)

Some people say: the musician is important, not his tools. While I don't completely agree with it (as with many black/white statements), but the opposite is even sillier.

Anyway, carry on, and try applying for an Apple PR job while your at it.

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:16 pm
fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm
FisherKing, look. We're talking about musical instruments here. That's a really personal thing, you know?

I don't care how old an instrument is, where it comes from, how was it made, is it virtual or real... If I find something special, inspiring to me, it'll always be special, and I will always care dearly for it. That's it.

I got your point, you get inspired by progress. That's fine. I'm not like you, however, and I don't understand why you keep arguing about that. Can we now move on, please?
ok lol, i promise to let it go, and feel free to respond, you're more-than welcome to the last word.

are we talking about musical instruments? ie a vintage violin, or piano? or are we talking about plugins that run on computers? in which case... if you prefer, say, dune 1 to dune 3, and can't run dune 1 on a new pc... keep the pc you have. problem solved.

Chrisk-K wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:27 am After hearing PC fan noise for 30 years, I find it a blessing to use my absolutely silent M1 Mini. I will never go back to the Windows realm.
I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT, it's silent. I have six external hard drives under my desk (3.5") and they are inaudible too. My PC is about four feet from my head, underneath my desk, I can't hear it at all. Several times I have accidentally turned off my PC when coming back into the room that's it in, because I couldn't hear it was on. HP PCs are very quiet, you should have tried one of them.

I would never go to Apple, but then again, I actually understand how PCs work and what's inside them, unlike most Apple users... LOL. The M1 chip looks very impressive, but Windows is much better if you are making music, I've got ancient 32 bit VSTs that still work absolutely fine, rock solid, on my PC, Windows 8.1, I've never had to reinstall Windows 8.1 due to slowdowns, I haven't had any, I think I've had it on here for over five years, maybe seven years (I got it as soon as Windows 8.1 came out).

T-CM11 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:25 pm
fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm progress (not always easy, or perfect) is still, good for everyone...
I'll burn your house down and cut off your leg. Then I'll sell you a new house and prosthetic. Progress! Inspirational! 8)

Some people say: the musician is important, not his tools. While I don't completely agree with it (as with many black/white statements), but the opposite is even sillier.

Anyway, carry on, and try applying for an Apple PR job while your at it.
haha. what? is that an attempt at an analogy? :party: personally, i think it's all important; the musician, the tools... the music. and i love my imac, but have my own issues with apple. see? am not confusing the tool with the tool maker.

also, please don't cut off my leg. thanks!

Return to “Instruments”