MOK Waverazor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

BBFG# wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:39 am I find myself asking what is the future plans of Waverazor?
I can't really comment on our exact future plans for Waverazor, other than to say it is our first child, very dear to our hearts, and will continue to be supported for the forseeable future. I made a lot of nifty little additions and improvements in our engine and UI during the Miniraze development, and I am looking forward to rolling a lot of those things back into Waverazor as soon as I get some breathing room. It is on our minds at MOK to keep Waverazor alive and fresh.

Hopefully this is also evidenced by the large number of updates we have made since Waverazor v1.0 (2017) and have not ever charged for an update.

Miniraze, although born from the Waverazor engine, is a different approach to our synthesis, intended to be easier to understand and much faster for programming sounds. Waverazor is super deep and patch programming takes a fair bit of time, as you have a myriad of options to choose from at every step. Our hope is that these two approaches to our synthesis are complimentary, and each user will find the route that suites them best.

All the best. Rob / MOK

r_mok wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:37 pm
BBFG# wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:39 am I find myself asking what is the future plans of Waverazor?
I can't really comment on our exact future plans for Waverazor, other than to say it is our first child, very dear to our hearts, and will continue to be supported for the forseeable future.
Rob / MOK
That actually doesn't instill confidence in buying right now for me.
When do you think you will be able to comment on its future plans? (Exact or approximate?)

BBFG# wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:20 pm
r_mok wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:37 pm
I can't really comment on our exact future plans for Waverazor, other than to say it is our first child, very dear to our hearts, and will continue to be supported for the forseeable future.
Rob / MOK
That actually doesn't instill confidence in buying right now for me.
When do you think you will be able to comment on its future plans? (Exact or approximate?)
I am not sure what you want to know. You seemed to be asking if we would continue to support and develop Waverazor. The short version of my previous answer is, yes.

Just the fact that you're answering seems to give me more confidence than the answer itself. Of course, the big plus that this has over Miniraze for me is that there's a version for all three OS. (Esp. Linux.) Been playing with it after watching the videos and am having fun with it. Can't wait to see what else you implement into it.
Do you know of any one doing more sounds for it yet?
Thanks!

Well, unique and fun enough to have bought it now. Please keep this going!
Wondering if there might be a Karplus-S in its future as well?

How do you set arp note length to ( 1/16 ) there is just tempo.

Trader One wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:43 pm How do you set arp note length to ( 1/16 ) there is just tempo.
Above the Arp On/Off there is a drop-down selector that ranges from 1 bar to 1/64 with different note orders, as well as 3 unique sequences.

Having just bought Waverazor, I'm glad to read here that the product will continue to be supported!

Having had the LE version for a while and not using it much, I decided to play around with it some more to see if I could be tempted into buying the full version while it's currently on sale.

Just a few minutes in and I encountered an out of control feedback loop that would have resulted in bleeding eardrums if I hadn't taken out my earphones, which I had to do because I didn't even have time to reach for the panic button on the synth or even attempt to lower any volume knobs or sliders.

I could see from my DAWs metering tool that the feedback was still going despite muting the synth and stopping playback of the DAW. So I deleted the synth from the project altogether and opened it again to see if I should have taken more notice of the settings for the patch that had caused the issue (Asellus Primus... and also realised later that the next one Asellus Secondus also did the same).

The DAW wasn't even playing and neither was I pressing any keys while I skipped through the first presets in silence, so I'd thought by this point it was safe to put the earphones back in. The moment I switched to the troublesome preset again, it somehow managed to recall it's previous state and jumped immediately back to maximum feedback levels without having touched a single thing. Again, all I could do was take out my earphones as fast as humanly possible and delete the VST from the DAW.

Luckily my hearing was saved, but my earphones (which I had only just purchased and was enjoying very much), sadly were not. Now I have to spend the money I was considering spending on Waverazor (and then some), on replacing those instead.

I get that some plugins can do this, if you push them hard with certain settings. But this occurred from simply playing a few notes from a patch, without having tweaked any settings on the GUI. Plus, as I mentioned, clearly something not right for it to have recalled the maximum point of the feedback, just by returning to the preset again after having deleted the plugin and inserted a new instance of it.
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

Automation support for most parameters is really requited for this kind of deep synth

Hey, Rob from MOK gave me a first look at the upcoming audio rate modulation update for Waverazor :). You can also audio rate modulate the delay lines in the next update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKVxB8I7ITg
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

That is nifty. Can one insert effects into the delay line and mess with feedback?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:55 pm That is nifty. Can one insert effects into the delay line and mess with feedback?
Not yet, but that is certainly on my list (it's a long list of things I want to experiment with)... There are FX blocks where you can insert different FX/Filters between other Delays and such, but no feature yet to put FX/Filters into the feedback path... I totally get the idea there, I just haven't done the coding for that yet.

The audio-rate modulation of delay lines (covered in the video) is something I hadn't seen done before, so wanted to give that a try and open it up to Waverazor users to play with. I hope to have more examples of how it can be used with the upcoming releases.

- Rob /MOK

Choikdoi wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:26 pm ...
Just a few minutes in and I encountered an out of control feedback loop that would have resulted in bleeding eardrums if I hadn't taken out my earphones, which I had to do because I didn't even have time to reach for the panic button on the synth or even attempt to lower any volume knobs or sliders.

I could see from my DAWs metering tool that the feedback was still going despite muting the synth and stopping playback of the DAW. So I deleted the synth from the project altogether and opened it again to see if I should have taken more notice of the settings for the patch that had caused the issue (Asellus Primus... and also realised later that the next one Asellus Secondus also did the same).

I have also encountered this infinite feedback behaviour in a bunch of the Factory patches (Asellus Primus etc). I did some experimenting and managed to pin down the issue!

I only experience this issue in FL Studio with the 'Use fixed size buffers' setting, set to off in the VST Wrapper settings (this is the default). When I turn 'Use fixed size buffers' on then the feedback loop goes away - so it appears to be an issue related to the DAW buffer sizes.

I also tried in Bitwig, which didn't have the issue (which lead me to try using fixed buffer sizes in FL).

I'm looking forward to trying the new ARC options in the 2.8 update! I really appreciate how experimental Waverazor is, it's a fun synth to explore.

Playing with 2.7 recently, I have some ideas for quality of life improvements like being able to cycle between the waveforms/menu options without opening the menus each time (maybe keyboard shortcuts or small UI arrows?). Being able to type in values in the editor would be great - I don't seem to be able to get keyboard tracking to go to 100% with the mouse. It would also be amazing to have the knobs in the editor change colour if it has a modulation and have right click list of targets.

Is there a way for me to customize the UI colours? Because I really like the desaturated 1985 theme - it's the most comfortable to my eyes, but would like to have it closer to the Waverazor/Razorlight colour schemes.

Ranoka wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:55 pm
I have also encountered this infinite feedback behaviour in a bunch of the Factory patches (Asellus Primus etc). I did some experimenting and managed to pin down the issue!

I only experience this issue in FL Studio with the 'Use fixed size buffers' setting, set to off in the VST Wrapper settings (this is the default). When I turn 'Use fixed size buffers' on then the feedback loop goes away - so it appears to be an issue related to the DAW buffer sizes.

I also tried in Bitwig, which didn't have the issue (which lead me to try using fixed buffer sizes in FL).
The developer contacted me about my post recently and after looking into it, he also confirmed via email that he was only able to replicate the behaviour in FL Studio (which is my DAW, I forgot to mention that previously).

He's been working on fixes while waiting to release a beta. But, I just tried the 'Use fixed size buffers' option and it also solves the issue on my end too. I'll email him to let him know, as you bringing this up may save him some work!

Many thanks for the response.
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

Thanks everyone for the notes/comments regarding the wacky feedback issues in FL Studio... As @choikdoi mentioned, I have been working on this issue (now that I finally found it, and figured it out) and it is hopefully now fixed. The latest build is currently is available in Beta, and if that goes well, I'll update the public release at Tracktion.
If anyone is interested in access to the beta builds, just DM me here or on our Discord group (https://discord.gg/5qjhgmfTcP) and I'll get you setup.

Return to “Instruments”