Questions about Superior Drummer 3 and the free SDX in the sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EDIT: I have other questions now, so we're back at it.

Okay, so the small print at Sweetwater says the free SDX expansion included as part of the Black Friday sale on a purchase of Superior Drummer 3 will be delivered after registration. So does this mean that a full (meaning not crossgrade) Superior Drummer 3 license will get you your free SDX Expansion from Toontrack's site, no matter where you bought SD3?

Because I'm seeing SD3 selling for different prices, both with and without the free SDX advertised, and I just don't know what to do. Thomann has the license for it for $339, a significant drop from Sweetwater at $399. But Thomann makes no mention of Black Friday or any kind of sale on SD3; $339 is their daily price.

But does it matter to Toontrack where I bought my SD3 license? Would they still give me the free SDX once I registered my SD3 license, whether or not the store I bought it from advertised the free SDX or not?

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me, I'm all pulling my hair out here. Thanks in advance for any help.

I got this all worked out, so if anyone cares here's the deal, straight from Toontrack tech support.

You'll get your free SDX no matter where you bought your license, as long as it's a NEW, FULL license for Superior Drummer 3. So no second hand license transfers, and no crossgrades. Gotta go whole hog.

But if you do that (and they did ask me to provide proof of purchase so I sent them my invoice from Thomann) you get the free SDX no matter what retailer sold you your license and, and this is somewhat important, whether or not the retailer was advertising the free SDX as part of the sale or not.

Sweetwater's hyping the free SDX, they sell SD3 for $399. Thomann has it for $339, a full $60 less, but they don't advertise the free SDX at all. I even asked their support department whether or not I could still get the free SDX if I bought SD3 from them and they said no. So the Thomann guys don't quite understand how this works. I bought SD3 from them and registered it over at Toontrack and Toontrack, after sorting out a minor technical issue, popped that SDX into my account. Awesome.

I will also just drop a mention that Toontrack support has been amazing, really helpful and way faster than I expected them to be over the holiday.

It may be that nobody cares about any of this but me, but this is the biggest software purchase I've ever made by quite a stretch, so I needed to make sure everything was going to end up where it needed to end up. And hey, it might end up saving someone else a lot of stress and aggravation, since I've already gone through it for them.

Good to read, glad you're sorted. I've always found Toontrack's support excellent as well.

Hope you get on with SD3 - I think it's fantastic. Tons of great SDXs too - I don't know what sort of stuff your're after but Decades is particularly good. If your budget isn't totally maxed out, keep an eye on the sales - some of their older products are heavily discounted at the moment.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I picked the Progressive Foundry for my free SDX, if that tells you anything. I'm doing hard rock and metal, but not the kind of metal everybody's doing these days where everything in the mix is slammed to the wall in loudness and the vocals are screamed or grunted. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

Mind Riot wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:39 pm I picked the Progressive Foundry for my free SDX, if that tells you anything. I'm doing hard rock and metal, but not the kind of metal everybody's doing these days where everything in the mix is slammed to the wall in loudness and the vocals are screamed or grunted. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way.
Progressive Foundry is a great SDX, and much more versatile than the name might suggest.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I've read a great deal of praise for Progressive Foundry, and I'm a big fan of Karnivool and their drummer and his drum sounds. Sound Awake, Karnivool's second album, is probably my favorite album of the last fifteen years or so, and it is an exceptionally well produced album. They used songs from it with replaced drum sounds from Progressive Foundry for the demos, and they sounded excellent.

I'm just doing the waiting game now, downloading everything before I can dive in and start having fun making some drum sets. I live out in the country and the fastest download my connection can consistently deliver is about one meg per second, so these 50 Gb library files take hours and hours. Tick tock tick tock...

Fields of Rock SDX sounds godlike

Think I should have got that instead?

Mind Riot wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:50 am Think I should have got that instead?
If you make progressive rock, progressive foundry seems very good. I only got the progressive ezx since I only have mild interest in that style. I think Fields of Rock is their best all around library for my tastes and from what I've heard (although I don't own the all), but it's all subjective!

Return to “Instruments”