Embryo/Children of The Grave (Black Sabbath Cover)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Instrumental, with a synth playing the vocal melody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur0tOLF_cOU

Mixed on headphones - haven’t checked on monitors yet
Last edited by frank1985 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

have to admit, synth vocal was a bit weird at first, but i soon got used to it. huge sabbath fan, so just used to the track so much...

that said :o that rocked! on the phone atghe minute so won't talk about the mix, but from the drums and guitar!
i think donkey tugger needs to be told who is "most metel?" :band2:

vurt wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:19 am have to admit, synth vocal was a bit weird at first, but i soon got used to it. huge sabbath fan, so just used to the track so much...

that said :o that rocked! on the phone atghe minute so won't talk about the mix, but from the drums and guitar!
i think donkey tugger needs to be told who is "most metel?" :band2:
Yeah it just felt plain wrong using a synth ‘vocal’ but I wouldn’t want to inflict my singing on anyone.

I’ve actually remixed the bass and added more ‘clang’ around 970hz; so its sounding a bit closer to the original with its dominant bass sound. I love geezer’s tone on Masters of Reality.
Last edited by frank1985 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

frank1985 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:17 amYeah it just felt plain wrong using a synth ‘vocal’ but I wouldn’t want to inflict my singing on anyone.
Vocode it?

I like the drums on this. Whole recording has a nice bounce to it.

Bass could be bigger - might be my personal taste.

There are some phase issues that I'm hearing - not sure if they're showing up on any metering you're doing but you might like to check that. It might be a component of the hi-hat sound. There are de-filter plugins that could help in removal of comb filtering.

I think what is bugging me most is the hi-hat on the left. It's too forward in the mix. Fixing that would pull the whole thing together more. Compression could definitely fix that if simple gain adjustment fails. Maybe also dropping some of your hi-pass filters down if possible - if that's how they were captured then a low bell filter used as make-up gain around that area might help.

Donkey might also be able to help you with low bells.

Hmmm. Ozzy plays harmonica, but far as I know, not kazoo.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Unaspected wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 am
frank1985 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:17 amYeah it just felt plain wrong using a synth ‘vocal’ but I wouldn’t want to inflict my singing on anyone.
Vocode it?

I like the drums on this. Whole recording has a nice bounce to it.

Bass could be bigger - might be my personal taste.

There are some phase issues that I'm hearing - not sure if they're showing up on any metering you're doing but you might like to check that. It might be a component of the hi-hat sound. There are de-filter plugins that could help in removal of comb filtering.

I think what is bugging me most is the hi-hat on the left. It's too forward in the mix. Fixing that would pull the whole thing together more. Compression could definitely fix that if simple gain adjustment fails. Maybe also dropping some of your hi-pass filters down if possible - if that's how they were captured then a low bell filter used as make-up gain around that area might help.

Donkey might also be able to help you with low bells.
Hey, thanks for the feedback...are there certain parts of the song where the phase issues are more prominent, or do you perceive it throughout? Do you think it could be the hats clashing with the vocal synth? I used an exciter on the hats/OH (saturation on the higher freqs) so I’ll dial that back a bit.

frank1985 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:59 am Hey, thanks for the feedback...are there certain parts of the song where the phase issues are more prominent, or do you perceive it throughout? Do you think it could be the hats clashing with the vocal synth? I used an exciter on the hats/OH (saturation on the higher freqs) so I’ll dial that back a bit.
You're welcome. I'm on laptop right now so no critical listening right now - but from memory, I started to think it was more a tone related to comb filtering in the hi-hat. Maybe exaggerated by the saturation so dialling back on that could be a good call.

One simple trick that you may already know is turning your head to one side and just listening with one ear - that can quickly help you to hear phase issues.

Always good to see people posting metal - especially when lovingly created.

Keep up the good work!

I couldn't hear anything strange with the hats, but the crash seemed to be having "issues" from 1:18 when the synth playing the vocal part arrived.

It's always good to hear some Sabbath from the pre '76 era, and this one rocks.

Would Dimitri be interested in channelling Ozzy?

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”