Something new to match raw sawtooth power of old Strobe?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can I have some recommendation for a synth that can match the raw sawtooth sound of the old Strobe? (1, not 2. I had Strobe2 and it just didn't do it for me)

Maybe it's just my perception, but I can't get anything to match _that_ sound. You know what I mean, that old raw 'deadmau5' saw sound. I've done some tracks with Strobe years ago, I loved that unfiltered sawthooth.
Went through my current collection of synths and they all have their own sound, nothing quite so cutting like the ole Strobe (went through Serum, all the Arturias, Roland, u-he Diva, Synapse synths, Falcon...).

Anything you reckon has _that_ sound? Something I should try (that's still available, and would run on new M1 Pro Mac).

I can't compare directly with Strobe 1, but maybe other SH-101 emulations will be closest, d16 LuSH and TAL Bassline-101 perhaps?

xalama qo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:06 pm I can't compare directly with Strobe 1, but maybe other SH-101 emulations will be closest, d16 LuSH and TAL Bassline-101 perhaps?
I have LuSH, but they don't support M1 yet (like at all). I remember it sounding a bit mellower, but will give it another go once they update.

TAL is a good option, it completely slipped my mind, I'll try it over the weekend. Thanks.

Cool! TAL would be my first choice for raw n aggressive, LuSH is smoother and kinda buttery imo. Both are great :tu:

sample Strobe1 and import as wavetable into Hive or Serum

Ploki wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:24 pm sample Strobe1 and import as wavetable into Hive or Serum
Don’t have it anymore (and if I did it probably wouldn’t run on M1. Don’t have any Intel machines anymore).

Funnily enough, just tried SH101 model for Roland Zenology, and it’s almost there.

Dune 3.5 is M1 native (AU) so maybe you can check out its saw sound.

fix3r wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:58 am Can I have some recommendation for a synth that can match the raw sawtooth sound of the old Strobe? (1, not 2. I had Strobe2 and it just didn't do it for me)
Strobe2 sounds exactly the same as Strobe v1. You just need to level match v2 as the output gain is slightly different. Easy enough to do. I can send you an 'init' preset that has the same starting point as Strobe1. Otherwsie, Strobe2 has the same signature sound (with some options to extend it well beyond what Strobe 1 could do).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:59 pm Strobe2 sounds exactly the same as Strobe v1. You just need to level match v2 as the output gain is slightly different. Easy enough to do. I can send you an 'init' preset that has the same starting point as Strobe1. Otherwsie, Strobe2 has the same signature sound (with some options to extend it well beyond what Strobe 1 could do).
I’m willing to give it another go, when/if they update it (will they? I wasn’t following the whole Roli/Fx bankruptcy saga? Is FX even still around officially?)

I had literally all of their software at one point, from Synth Squad and effects to Strobe/Cypher 2, and for the life of me couldn’t come to like the “2”. Probably superficial, I got quite used to the old UI that I wasn’t listening past that point. Dunno. But will keep an eye out for an M1 update

fix3r wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:24 pm I’m willing to give it another go, when/if they update it (will they? or an M1 update
They have all received numerous updates.
fix3r wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:24 pm Probably superficial, I got quite used to the old UI that I wasn’t listening past that point. Dunno. But will keep an eye out for an M1 update
It's all M1 compatible.

I hear you on the old UIs. There is something about Strobe and Cypher GUIs that I really like more so that the v2 versions. Perfect one-page size, cool colours and skins and the UI felt more snappy. But, the feature set has been so extended that it's tough to go back to version 1 for me. The sequencer in Cypher 2 is insanely powerful, as an example. However, I still have version 1 of Strobe and Cypher installed and like to jump back now and again to have a play with these golden oldies.

Speaking of skins, Strobe 2 has a nice alternative blue theme built in, which looks a bit like Strobe 1 and a bit like Tremor.

himalaya wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:59 pm
fix3r wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:58 am Can I have some recommendation for a synth that can match the raw sawtooth sound of the old Strobe? (1, not 2. I had Strobe2 and it just didn't do it for me)
Strobe2 sounds exactly the same as Strobe v1. You just need to level match v2 as the output gain is slightly different. Easy enough to do. I can send you an 'init' preset that has the same starting point as Strobe1. Otherwsie, Strobe2 has the same signature sound (with some options to extend it well beyond what Strobe 1 could do).
yeah that's what I thought too. I thought I remembered them saying the sound engine didn't change.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

himalaya wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:05 pm
fix3r wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:24 pm I’m willing to give it another go, when/if they update it (will they? or an M1 update
They have all received numerous updates.
fix3r wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:24 pm Probably superficial, I got quite used to the old UI that I wasn’t listening past that point. Dunno. But will keep an eye out for an M1 update
It's all M1 compatible.

I hear you on the old UIs. There is something about Strobe and Cypher GUIs that I really like more so that the v2 versions. Perfect one-page size, cool colours and skins and the UI felt more snappy. But, the feature set has been so extended that it's tough to go back to version 1 for me. The sequencer in Cypher 2 is insanely powerful, as an example. However, I still have version 1 of Strobe and Cypher installed and like to jump back now and again to have a play with these golden oldies.

Speaking of skins, Strobe 2 has a nice alternative blue theme built in, which looks a bit like Strobe 1 and a bit like Tremor.
You know what... I sold Strobe2/Cypher2 a while ago, not happy with either of them for some reason. And now I bought Strobe2 again, just to check. Roli/FX have a great upgrade offer for Roli hw owners. And it is in fact M1 native (the app at least is, there's no mention of it I could find anywhere).

I humbly admit my old self was full of crap, and it does sound every bit as gritty and raw as the old one. 38 quid later I can thank you for the nudge, and can announce the search over.

fix3r wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:03 pm and it does sound every bit as gritty and raw as the old one.
Yup! :D

Attached is the init preset I mentioned, in case you want the same starting point in Strobe2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”