Good not-too-expensive 49 key MIDI keyboard

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I am looking to get a 49 key MIDI keyboard as an upgrade from my MPK Mini mk2
I liked that keyboard but I kept running out of keys and I don't really use the drum pads.
Since I have Komplete 13 UCE, I was looking at the Komplete Kontrol A49 as my next keyboard. It looks really good but I'm concerned about the integration with my DAW (Tracktion Waveform) since it isn't really a "standard" DAW.
I'm just wondering if there's something just as good or better for a similar or lower price point.

(I'm in Canada btw)

how does komplete kontrol manage with waveform?
if that runs ok, id assume the controller would too.

You can check chapter 10 in the manual about the advanced functionality which only works if the DAW supports the Komplete Kontrol keyboard.

Working with the Komplete Kontrol software will work, I think, it's just that you won't be able to do certain things in the DAW, like switching tracks with the keyboard, control the mixer, or mute and solo tracks with it.

I don't know if Waveform supports the Maecki HUI protocol. Some keyboards, like the Novation Impulse, Launchkey, or the Arturia Keylab Essentials use that protocol to do the same functionality I mentioned, and that works in every DAW which supports it. So, if those functions are important for you, I'd rather go that way.

Waveform has MCU support, I don't think it has HUI.
Basically the reason I made this post was to see if there were any less obvious, better choices for keyboard than the A49 because the amount of options is a bit overwhelming for me

I think the KK A49 will probably have the best keys in that price range. If you want more features, I can recommend the Novation Impulse, which not only has faders and drum pads, but also has Aftertouch. I can't really vouch for the longevity, though. On 2 of the 3 units I had, the knobs had the usualy symptoms, scratchy or faulty potentiometers, which lead to jumping values, when you turn the knobs too quickly. I think that's quite a common thing though. I also had it on the M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd gen.

Personally, I would probably get the Arturia Keylab Essential. Seems like a good keyboard, although no Aftertouch, but, that's something I could live with.

Bang for buck the oxygen pro 49 offers loads, no its not the best keybed out there, but its got aftertouch. Integrates with daws, has a built in arp, scales and chord mode if you need it, pads, transport controls, and faders.
I bought mine for size (had to fit on a keyboard tray and have aftertouch) but Im happy with its performance.

Wow the oxygen pro 49 looks awesome, though it's a bit more expensive than the KK a49.
Arturia keylab essentials looks great too, though it seems to have some functionality that only works with Analog Lab
Now I'm stuck between those 3. At least I've narrowed it down.

I have the essential too, its not as featured as the oxygen but its decent, softwares great.

You might want to look at the Alesis VI49. I used one for years and it got heavy daily use. Keybed is decent semi-weighted with aftertouch, the pads are nice and very responsive, heaps of buttons that you can assign as well.

A few things worth noting: the keys are a tiny bit noisy but there's a lot of controllers like that in this price range, they can get squeaky after a while too, but nothing a little WD40 can't solve. The transpose buttons got a lot of use and one of them sunk in completely, I had to open it up and pull it out a bit, and it wasn't exactly perfect afterward and eventually I couldn't transpose down anymore, and the modwheel started to sink down lower in the 'off' position. I know that might not sell you on it, but it's actually a pretty good controller that lasted me a long time before any of those issues occurred. Try it in a store if you can - I compared it with everything else available in that price range and it was honestly the nicest keybed (that I could test at least).
Echo Season
Musician | Sound Designer
www.echoseason.com

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”