sending basses to bus pre fader

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I have a project - 2 different synth basses in in... one octave lower than the other - slightly different patterns

I want to 'morph' the two basses so they sound as one single beast.

My - idea.... send both to a bus pre fader and then drop faders to 0. On the bus with both playing together add glue compression, saturation.......

what else on the bus? Any other ideas to achieve my goal? Compressor settings?

thanks

logic user by the way

Instead of sending to a bus per-fader you could also make a track stack (make it a summing one), or set the output of the channels to be your bus (where it probably says stereo out in the mixer right now, a bit above the pan knob)

counterparty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:05 pm Instead of sending to a bus per-fader you could also make a track stack (make it a summing one), or set the output of the channels to be your bus (where it probably says stereo out in the mixer right now, a bit above the pan knob)
Thanks mate - thats a good idea actually re track stack

Bob Slydell wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 pm what else on the bus? Any other ideas to achieve my goal?
Make sure you are EQ'ing each bass separately before the bus - cut or shelve the lowest octave of the "high bass", if it overlaps with the the "low bass". Similarly cut the high octaves of the low bass if there's a lot of overlap with the high bass. Then each bass will have it's own spot.

Then yeah... compression, saturation - maybe some mono'izing since it's bass. Compression settings are entirely dependent on the bass type (pulse/pluck or long sustain) and context of the song - use your ears and always volume match to the bypass :)

You can also send one as a channel input and the second as effect return on the same channel.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:57 am
Bob Slydell wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 pm what else on the bus? Any other ideas to achieve my goal?
Make sure you are EQ'ing each bass separately before the bus - cut or shelve the lowest octave of the "high bass", if it overlaps with the the "low bass". Similarly cut the high octaves of the low bass if there's a lot of overlap with the high bass. Then each bass will have it's own spot.

Then yeah... compression, saturation - maybe some mono'izing since it's bass. Compression settings are entirely dependent on the bass type (pulse/pluck or long sustain) and context of the song - use your ears and always volume match to the bypass :)
great advice thankyou

ThunderMix wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:58 pm You can also send one as a channel input and the second as effect return on the same channel.
im not sure i follow this can you link to something to show what you mean. thx

Return to “Production Techniques”