AlyJames VSDSX Drum rack in Ableton - Please help!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I own VPROM and have been using the drum rack created by Kirkwood West for years. Today I bought VSDSX and was happy to see that he created a drum rack for that as well. Unfortunately it crashes everytime I open which is likely because it was built for V1 which was only 32 bit. I've sent him an email but he hasn't responded yet. So I'm trying to make my own based off of the VPROM drum rack. I create a drum rack and add the VSDSX plugin to the first pad (C1) then I go in to the chain and make sure that C1 is assigned to the Kick (In this case C2). So that all fine. Everything works. The problem is the next step. He uses an External Instrument on the next pad and the, under the midi routing, he adds the drum rack in both the In and Out channels and then selects the correct audio routing in the third pulldown. Seems totally easy except that I can't figure out how the hell to get my drum rack to show up in the midi in pulldown of the External Instrument. It's driving me nuts! I have his rack open so that I can compare his to mine and I can't see any differences at all in terms of how it's setup.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (or what he did right). Any help at all would be highly appreciated.

This is because there is no "MIDI In" in the External instrument :)
What you see is MIDI Out composed of two fields, the first selects the Track (choose the Track of your drum rack here) and the one below selects the instrument within that track (select VSDSX here).
Then of course take the audio from the correct output of VSDSX in the last dropdown.

FYI, the MIDI in of an External Instrument is always the notes coming from the track on which you insert it, not something to worry about.

EDIT: as a bonus, see the External Instrument as a routing device. Its original use was to route midi and audio to, well, external instruments. However, since you can also select tracks, instruments and effects within Live itself, it becomes an easy way to send MIDI from one place to another (in this case, from the drum cell to VSDSX). It's also useful for sending MIDI to an effect.

Thanks. You're correct. I just misspoke about the in/out. That's what I meant. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that I can't select the drum rack in that way. I did just get this response from Aly himself

"That might be because VSDSX v2 is following the VST3 format (even the VST2 version is a wrapped VST3)
This follows Steinberg rules as of 2018-19
VST3 did not featured MIDI out until very recently (few months ago)
I am still using the previous VST3 SDK so the very new features enabling MIDI out won't be integrated yet.
If the drum rack function needs a MIDI out that might be your issue.
Still you can map VSDSX triggers to any incoming pads sending MIDI notes and use the multi-out function + multiple tracks to get separated outs ;)
Best AJ
"

I was hoping to use the External Instrument trick so that I didn't have to load up separate copies of the plugin for each pad on the drum rack but it looks like I'll have to do that in the end. Or I guess I can route the audio from each instrument in the plugin to an audio track so that I can at least use sends and effects.

I hadn't noticed it but it looks like you're right. I made custom drum racks for Vprom, Nepheton, Drumazon, but it seems impossible with VSDSX, it doesn't appear anywhere. I guess we'll have to wait for some update.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

I ended up putting a full copy of the plugin on each pad. It's clunky but gets the job done for now.

Did you ever sort this? My workaround for now is just to have one and use ‘all samples’ but would love to know if you sorted it. Thx

EdSfer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:25 am I hadn't noticed it but it looks like you're right. I made custom drum racks for Vprom, Nepheton, Drumazon, but it seems impossible with VSDSX, it doesn't appear anywhere. I guess we'll have to wait for some update.
Hiya. I bought the VPROM vst but I'm a bit mind boggled on how to sequence it and trigger with pads. I've been trying to wrap to a drum rack but that's not working, and the K West drum rack link is down. Any way you can share a VPROM drum rack or point me in the right direction to set it up? Harder to sequence/drum rack vsts in ableton than I thought :dog: thank you!

Hey, you should use external instruments inside the drum rack to do this, and use multiple outputs inside vprom so that you can process the tracks separately. I'm not at home now, but I should be able to send you the drum rack tonight.

lefi wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:41 am Hiya. I bought the VPROM vst but I'm a bit mind boggled on how to sequence it and trigger with pads. I've been trying to wrap to a drum rack but that's not working, and the K West drum rack link is down. Any way you can share a VPROM drum rack or point me in the right direction to set it up? Harder to sequence/drum rack vsts in ableton than I thought :dog: thank you!
Can't PM you, so here it is. Plugin is on the kick pad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”