Goodbye, dear plugin! Those that won't make the Apple M1 transition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This thread is about audio plugins that will not be updated to run on the new Apple ARM chips and bidding them a fond farewell, not fighting over how your dad can run some synthetic video benchmark faster than my dad.

So far, there's been about 5 on-topic posts and 100 of-topic. Stay on topic! Don't make me have to tell on you!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:43 am This thread is about audio plugins that will not be updated to run on the new Apple ARM chips and bidding them a fond farewell, not fighting over how your dad can run some synthetic video benchmark faster than my dad.

So far, there's been about 5 on-topic posts and 100 of-topic. Stay on topic! Don't make me have to tell on you!
it's ok to tell on people when they're being twats.

For productivity , editing 4K footage in DaVinci Resolve , and for Audio having tones of tracks without any problem , my MacAIR M1 is phenomenal and beats any windows laptop at the same price . Yes, in life you win some , loose some . Yes, I regret plugins that I loose but I discover new ones all the time ...

dayjob wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:46 am
syntonica wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:43 am This thread is about audio plugins that will not be updated to run on the new Apple ARM chips and bidding them a fond farewell, not fighting over how your dad can run some synthetic video benchmark faster than my dad.

it's ok to tell on people when they're being twats.
doesn't do any good. Bones is allowed to shit all over any thread Apple is mentioned in, it's at this point part of the DNA of KVR. This is literally from a PM from a mod here:
You gotta realize that it drives me crazy, I rarely pass the buck but this one just has to be on *** and I will just continue trying with damage control and fingers crossed.

It's NPD, he's not alone but that is the issue :shrug:
The only thing that works is "ad hominem" attacks like this, it's the only thing they respond to. This post will self destruct in 10 minutes! :hihi:

The thing that works 100% the best is to completely ignore off topic posts that are essentially trolling, just continue to talk about the actual topic at hand with people who actually want to share real information. Ignore the drama queens and attention whores. It's too bad other people chimed in, I really don't give a rats ass about Windows 11 VS Monterey, I don't understand people that to this day keep up that garbage.

johnwoo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:06 am For productivity , editing 4K footage in DaVinci Resolve , and for Audio having tones of tracks without any problem , my MacAIR M1 is phenomenal and beats any windows laptop at the same price . Yes, in life you win some , loose some . Yes, I regret plugins that I loose but I discover new ones all the time ...
So far, I'm not seeing much plug in loss. Delay maybe, but almost everyone has committed to porting to M1. I suppose my decade old copy of Nomad Factory Integral Bundle will fall to the wayside, but I only use a few of those sporadically at this point anyway.

PSP even have a few ported already. Arturia just did their whole line up. Sound Toys and others are committed when a certain iLock dependency is straightened out. NI will f*ck the dog, probably iZotope as well, but it really seems that GUI issues are the main problem with native AS support, so it seems to me that iZotope are using a newer codebase for that? dunno, but it's possible they're next.

IK will come along. they updated their GUI framework a while ago and that seems to be a huge plus, SampleTank, Syntronic and MODO drums are M1 native.

Like I said earlier, I'm not convinced we're losing Crystal synth either, the developer works for Spectrasonics who are also M1 native already. One of the weirder but cool things was Destroy FX are all M1 native after not working for years and years! :love:

machinesworking wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:29 am.
Like I said earlier, I'm not convinced we're losing Crystal synth either, the developer works for Spectrasonics who are also M1 native already. One of the weirder but cool things was Destroy FX are all M1 native after not working for years and years! :love:
Holy crap! :hyper:

I've so missed those plugins!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:17 am
One of the weirder but cool things was Destroy FX are all M1 native after not working for years and years! :love:
Holy crap! :hyper:

I've so missed those plugins!
Same! Buffer Override was a personal favorite, but all massively creative damage FX>
If people don't know WTF we're on about.
http://destroyfx.org

edit:
f**k :x

back on topic, i've phased out Audiospillage DrumSpillage2 in favour of MicroTonic (not yet M1 devs confirmed it anyway) because unfortunately Audiospillage guy is pretty much AWOL since 2014.

Ploki wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:33 am edit:
f**k :x

back on topic, i've phased out Audiospillage DrumSpillage2 in favour of MicroTonic (not yet M1 devs confirmed it anyway) because unfortunately Audiospillage guy is pretty much AWOL since 2014.
Didn't microTonic start out on the PPC? Anyway, I think the current beta is M1-native, though I haven't checked as I don't own it.

I'm not sure what happened too Audio Spillage either. I love their plugins, but yeah, even their website hasn't been updated in years. Kept me from looking any harder at their plugins for purchase.

Fwiw they work 100% fine via rosetta on monterey. i just don't want to keep using rosetta.

nah current beta is not M1 yet :') soon the devs said. not worried tho, they've been keeping it alive for X amount of years (yes apparently since PPC) and beta 3.3.x brought skin support so obviously they wont abandon it.

Ploki wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:00 am Fwiw they work 100% fine via rosetta on monterey. i just don't want to keep using rosetta.

nah current beta is not M1 yet :') soon the devs said. not worried tho, they've been keeping it alive for X amount of years (yes apparently since PPC) and beta 3.3.x brought skin support so obviously they wont abandon it.
I dunno man, it seems like this Rosetta isn't that bad, a ten percent CPU hit on plug ins that use it, but if you're running a native DAW and using mostly native plug ins, it's not a deal killer. Spark 2 was updated for Rosetta 2 support, and personally it's my favorite drum machine in a DAW by a long shot with the SparkLe hardware. So I'm not planning on ditching Rosetta completely for a long time, unless Arturia somehow magically decide to start developing Spark again.

So many agendas, so little time.... save myself! save myself! save myself! we are all going to die!!!

Truth is they all suck pretty bad rn. Microsoft had an arm deal because intel is in transition, and the gamers liked arm better (and gamers are micro's big target). They can go cloudy on gamers relatively easily. Intel is about to start dropping faster chips if they can get beyond covid and shipping delays, and EVERYONE is going quantum in a short period of time. They will have to for all the controlling AI they are establishing over your life.

Just remembered: Time to bid fare thee well to Tassman... :(

syntonica wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:21 pm Just remembered: Time to bid fare thee well to Tassman... :(
Yeah...

Sinisterbr wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:37 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:52 pm well i hope you get to keep some of them :)
but i also hope, you won't be too down about the ones you can't keep, and enjoy the new ones too.
Thank you, Vurt. Well, I may get saddened a little but I have a bunch of synths, I suppose most may still work by then. And I probably still have at least a decade with them, so plenty of time to enjoy :)
im sure there will be plenty of new ones too, that are coded to take advantage of the modern hardware :D

best of all worlds :ud:

Return to “Instruments”