Nexus 3 Users: Are you planning to upgrade to Nexus 4 now?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Are you planning to upgrade to Nexus 4 now?

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 114

RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, are you planning to upgrade to Nexus 4 now? Why or why not?

No. I basically don't see any real improvements that would justify an upgrade cost. I understand that there are "under the hood" updates that expansions going forward will make use of, but truth be told, I haven't bought "new" expansions in a few years. I have bought (and will continue to buy) "legacy" expansions that are substantially cheaper, which obviously do not require the N4 update; yes, they're old, but they still cover useful ground.

I'm not outraged by the upgrade price as I know some people are, and all the extra presets would be nice, as would the ability to use the 2021 Christmas expansion. But although I think it's OK for Nexus to come to a business decision that they need to try to raise more money through a pretty modest update, I personally don't really see the value to me at this time.

No from me.

1. No significant new features - some nice little enhancements but that's it.
2. While 310 new presets (including the Christmas pack) is nice to have, from a casual listen they feel remarkably similar to what I have. £90 is just that bit too much to justify more of the same.
3. Avenger seems the stronger platform now - its own complexity has increased in the past few years. And hey - it's a synth.
4. Buying now for such a poor update will only encourage them!

IMO Nexus needs to up their game. It is what it is - a ROMpler - but Avenger has now stolen so much of its thunder, and expansions can be had for Avenger for less. N3 was such a huge improvement on N2, but it's hard to know whey they go from here. The one thing that leaps to mind as an obvious essential it still lacks is multi outputs - in a pro environment that's such a basic fail. If N4 had had that, I'd have updated without much of a thought.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Didn't even upgrade to 3, even though it looks like shit on a 5K screen. TBH, I don't rate the sound that much (it's OK, but nothing special) and I am not a fan of these money pit expansion based synths...they are a bit too much like in app purchase phone apps for my liking...so I guess I am just waiting for a Mac OS to break it and then I will probably consider myself done.

No from me too. I've spent 440$ in January 2021 buying Nexus 3 and it is just too much for me to pay for the upgrade another 99€/124$ after 10 months. If such upgrade allows one free expansion of choice then the price would be more justified.

DAMN $440......You can get some nice hardware synths for that

Too expensive bearing in mind all the amazing plugins you can buy nowadays with that amount of money.

DanielPL wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:39 pm No from me too. I've spent 440$ in January 2021 buying Nexus 3 and it is just too much for me to pay for the upgrade another 99€/124$ after 10 months. If such upgrade allows one free expansion of choice then the price would be more justified.
I spent a similar amount on Nexus 3 and expansions within the past year.

I think ReFX is making a big mistake by charging so much for what is in essence a point (rather than a major) upgrade. It probably should have been free since it came so close to the release of Nexus 3. (Call it 3.5 and give it away!)

Also, since their new packs will only work with Nexus 4, they are shooting themselves in the foot with this move as it appears that the majority of Nexus 3 users are not planning to upgrade and a large part of their revenue comes from selling sound packs.

Too expensive for what it gives.
Making new expansions compatible only with version 4 is very unfair.
I don't support this model of business so I'll stick with the expansions I have and go on on other synths.
www.synkrostudio.it, www. roundoround.com

No, because I don't have Nexus 3.
Should I?

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:11 pm No, because I don't have Nexus 3.
Should I?
But the question is: "Nexus 3 Users: Are you planning to upgrade to Nexus 4 now?"
:wink:

Last edited by GJK on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just wait for Nexus 5 in mid 2022 :D

No way to expensive!

No. I don't think the changes are worth $100 for my uses. It's a ROMPler. It plays presets. How much more can ReFX add and expect people to fork over $100 just a couple years after an actual major update (Nexus 3)? This isn't Avenger.

Return to “Instruments”