RME Babyface vs. HDSPe AIO ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
keyman_sam
KVRAF
4166 posts since 8 Mar, 2005

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:43 am

I would also vote for the babyface (dont have one myself but Im considering it).

Going with USB makes sense because it gives you a lot of things like volume control and LED meters - its something you can 'feel' and see it in action.

And if you decide to sell it, the resale value is really good. And you can use it on a friend's computer if need be.

fgimian
KVRAF
2662 posts since 14 Jul, 2005 from Australia

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:57 am

Fireface UC here running at 128 samples on major projects (70+ tracks of heavy VSTis and VST effects) and 64 on slightly smaller ones (around 50 tracks).

The AIO will likely give you the same performance I get at 64 samples at 32 samples and the same performance I get at 128 at 64. It's likely to be about 1 buffer size better.

But as the guys have said, the Babyface is a lot more flexible (any PC or Mac will work with it and it has a good amount of ins / outs) and unless you absolutely need the lowest possible latency and have the outboard gear to support the AIO, go for the Babyface.

I really hope that RME make a UC / Babyface PCI-e variant at some point in the future, now that would be cool!

Shy
KVRAF
5167 posts since 27 Jun, 2004

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:53 am

What's really more flexible in Babyface is that it's more portable and can work with computers that don't have a free PCIe slot (laptops, basically). AIO has 3 digital interfaces that work simultaneously (12 input and output channels), Babyface has 1 switchable digital interface (either 8 or 2 channels). Babyface has 2 preamp inputs which AIO doesn't so it may be "more flexible" in that you don't have to use an external preamp, but it's "less flexible" since you get two preamp inputs instead of 4 digital inputs and outputs that you could use with a preamp of your choice and more.

He said his top priority is latency and stability, so AIO is better for that since it gives better performance in lower latencies and has less issues than Babyface according to the RME forums (though Babyface is very stable on avarage). But he also said he wants to use a laptop sometimes, so obviously AIO isn't good for that. No mention of whether integrated preamp inputs are needed. In short, "more flexible" here depends on your needs and preferences.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

robspaull
KVRist
36 posts since 3 Jun, 2009 from Wales

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:12 am

The Babyface is that good that I forget I even have it - it sits on my desktop and sound goes in, sound goes out and it NEVER gives me any trouble! It's the second RME interface I've had and I swear until I can afford (or need) an apogee symphony I'll never buy another brand!!! I've had several other brands of audio interface and none have been as good - sure some have had some bells and whistles but RME does what you need and does it extremely well.

...I think I might even be swayed by the UFX over the apogee...

Casio del Diablo
KVRer
11 posts since 16 Oct, 2016 from Gothenburg, Sweden

Post Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:47 am

I don't know exactly why I'd wanna do that, but is it possible to use -both- HDSPe AIO and Babyface Pro on the same system at the same time?

Jim Roseberry
KVRian
536 posts since 9 May, 2005

Post Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:42 pm

You can have the AIO and Babyface Pro both installed at the same time.
However, they won't function together as a single audio interface (You'd have to choose one or the other in your DAW application).
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
3505 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:27 pm

I've been using a BF for years now. It's nice but does suffer from "standard" USB issues now and again. This is also a matter of how busy the USB bus on your machine is. Anyway I'm about to buy the AIO for maximum stability and performance at a given latency. I still haven't decided whether or not I care enough to keep the Babyface. Strangely enough when I have hooked up the babyface to my nice laptop,. I actually got better performance from ASIO4All. On my desktop machine this is not at all the case and it (BF) is very reliable while the mix software allows for some cool routing.

I must say I'm pretty bummed out about the lack of mid level card based interfaces on the market (for a small studio with a desktop workstation, there is no reason that I can think of not to use the much faster interface of the pcie bus). If my dumb emu interface had a card that would work on my system I would have never stopped using it. same with my creamware stuff.

Anyway I can get the AIO and 8 channels of extra IO for about 900 bucks and I'm very confident that this will perform much better than the Babyface (for large projects, high stability and low latency).

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Casio del Diablo
KVRer
11 posts since 16 Oct, 2016 from Gothenburg, Sweden

Post Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:40 pm

Ah_Dziz wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:27 pm
I'm very confident that this will perform
I can attest, the AIO is one mean bastard of a killer interface. It's so blazing fast the latency almost goes extinct. And the fabulous thing about RME, which is rare and only seen in few other (more expensive) brands, if any, is the possibility to use ASIO in multiple apps simultaneously. Also, the possibility to record/resample what's currently playing in your system is just outstanding for quick sampling of YouTube, audio plugin-fiddlings, VCV patching and whatnot. Those two points are the reason I went with RME and will never look elsewhere. (But you probably already knew all this, since you're on BabyFace.)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”