which one cherryaudio synth to select for synthwave/dreampunk/ambient music

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so i have some money left in my online purchase account and thought to buy some vst with it --- but only have enough for a single synth from cherry audio (or any other company)--- which one should i get
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

DCO 106 is their Juno 106 emulation. It is getting some good reviews, there's a trial and it is only 25 bucks:

https://cherryaudio.com/products/dco-106

hmmmm, I feel like with your qualification of synthwave/dreampunk/ambient music, they COULD all easily fit, but via elimination, I feel MemoryMode, Mercury 4, Quadra, or DCO-106 would be the best fit. The other four seem LESS in that Genre, but could still work. Kinda leaning toward Merc4 or DCO106 for the time period those are from, and the synthwave music I have listened to. If presets only, yeah, prolly the 106

Can vouch for DCO-106, happily using that one myself, but I wouldn't sleep on polymode as well. Great for synth pads, string sounds and ambiences. My take on these 2 is that DCO-106 is the more 'accessible' synth, providing a faster workflow. Polymode is the 'bigger' one here.

There is a bunch of preset packs available on Xenos soundworks for these synths and specific genres (Retrowave, synthwave, etc...).

You'll also find similar presets for the other Cherry synths there, based on the audio demos I guess that the mercury 4 synth would work really well too! (Don't own Mercury4 myself though so cannot provide personal experiences with that one...)

I own CA2600 and Memorymode as well. Haven't used CA2600 enough to give any advice (purchased that one myself just recently) and Memorymode is a very solid synth but, to my ears, isn't more 'synthwave' than other subtractive VST synths...

Get Talmod , a bit more expensive but a fantastic plugin .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Gentleclockdivider is on a mission to be negative about Cherry Audio every chance possible. If you look at ANY Cherry audio thread he will be in there talking bad about Cherry Audio. Use your own judgement about whether to trust the opinion of someone who spends an inordinate amount of time trashing and trying to take business away from one company.

I would go with DCO-106 if price is the issue. I think Mercury-4 from Cherry sounds slightly better, but is more expensive and more importantly has a more limited sound palette for the type of music you want to make. Memorymode has a very dinstinct sound and I don't think it should be your main synth, but more of a flavor you can sprinkle in sometimes. That's my opinion from owning every Cherry synth, and every TAL synth, and a hardware Juno-106.

If you wanted to get something by TAL I'd buy the U-N0-LX over TAL Mod for the type of music you're making. U-NO-LX is slightly more expensive than DCO-106, but it has a better filter. It also has worse presets, and some weird stereo stuff going on that sounds bad and nothing like the synth it's supposed to emulate, so there's tradeoffs, but these are inexpensive synths so tradeoffs are okay IMO.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

I think you should also check out the new Martinic AX73

DCO 106 seems great for synthwave. That or TAL U-No LX, etc.

Ambient and dreampunk (and synthwave, and anything else) .. I would like very much to pimp my favourite softsynth of all time, TAL Sampler. But yes, being serious. And it doesn’t cost much more than some Cherry synths right now.

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:50 am I think you should also check out the new Martinic AX73
:) looks good and within my price limit
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:41 am Gentleclockdivider is on a mission to be negative about Cherry Audio every chance possible. If you look at ANY Cherry audio thread he will be in there talking bad about Cherry Audio. Use your own judgement about whether to trust the opinion of someone who spends an inordinate amount of time trashing and trying to take business away from one company.

I would go with DCO-106 if price is the issue. I think Mercury-4 from Cherry sounds slightly better, but is more expensive and more importantly has a more limited sound palette for the type of music you want to make. Memorymode has a very dinstinct sound and I don't think it should be your main synth, but more of a flavor you can sprinkle in sometimes. That's my opinion from owning every Cherry synth, and every TAL synth, and a hardware Juno-106.

If you wanted to get something by TAL I'd buy the U-N0-LX over TAL Mod for the type of music you're making. U-NO-LX is slightly more expensive than DCO-106, but it has a better filter. It also has worse presets, and some weird stereo stuff going on that sounds bad and nothing like the synth it's supposed to emulate, so there's tradeoffs, but these are inexpensive synths so tradeoffs are okay IMO.
Lighten up dude , I am not a mission to anything
I am just providing an alternatve that according to me sounds better and gives you more value for money
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:41 am If you look at ANY Cherry audio thread he will be in there talking bad about Cherry Audio.
Certainly not in this one…

Mercury 4 or DCO-106.

What about Plugin Boutique's VirtualCZ ? https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1158
Only € 25,- at this moment.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edit: whoops, I was wrong, deleted.

OP if you have any questions let us know, I would love to help you in any way I can.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”