Nexus 3 Users: Are you planning to upgrade to Nexus 4 now?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Are you planning to upgrade to Nexus 4 now?

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 114

RELATED
PRODUCTS

spinettim wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:29 pm Too expensive for what it gives.
Making new expansions compatible only with version 4 is very unfair.
I don't support this model of business so I'll stick with the expansions I have and go on on other synths.
True. I'm off too. Don't support greedy lame devs.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

That's a slightly odd review in the post above, in that he compares it to - well - pretty much all other synths and samplers, which are all totally different from Nexus. Weirdly he doesn't compare it with Avenger, the synth that shares the most DNA with Nexus, even though of course it's a full synth you can do almost anything with. And he compares with Nexus 1, not Nexus 3 - so in the context of this thread, it doesn't really have too much to offer.

I'm okay with Nexus being Nexus. It's oven-ready credible dance presets - there you go. Although there are a few expansions outside this remit, if you're not doing dance I don't think you should even consider it, there's so many other better options. The single other advantage it has over most synths is low CPU - I actually used it a couple of days ago on a project that was getting really resource-intensive. I just needed a simple line, and Nexus was fine for that.

But it all does raise the question of where reFX SHOULD go with Nexus. I doubt they will ever open it up to be a full synth, that goes against the fundamental nature of what it is. But there are so many things that could be improved that would make a solid jump to a new version. Sep outs is still my #1. For that matter, let's have a proper mixer... how basic is that? After 17 years, it still doesn't have a mixer. So let's see (optionally) audio meters for each layer, busses, the inserts / sends for the effects.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

No. I'm happy with what I have and don't see a need for it.
I might jump straight to N5 when that comes.
I dont upgrade Komplete every time either. Sometimes wait 2-3 years

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:49 am That's a slightly odd review in the post above, in that he compares it to - well - pretty much all other synths and samplers, which are all totally different from Nexus. Weirdly he doesn't compare it with Avenger, the synth that shares the most DNA with Nexus, even though of course it's a full synth you can do almost anything with. And he compares with Nexus 1, not Nexus 3 - so in the context of this thread, it doesn't really have too much to offer.

I'm okay with Nexus being Nexus. It's oven-ready credible dance presets - there you go. Although there are a few expansions outside this remit, if you're not doing dance I don't think you should even consider it, there's so many other better options. The single other advantage it has over most synths is low CPU - I actually used it a couple of days ago on a project that was getting really resource-intensive. I just needed a simple line, and Nexus was fine for that.

But it all does raise the question of where reFX SHOULD go with Nexus. I doubt they will ever open it up to be a full synth, that goes against the fundamental nature of what it is. But there are so many things that could be improved that would make a solid jump to a new version. Sep outs is still my #1. For that matter, let's have a proper mixer... how basic is that? After 17 years, it still doesn't have a mixer. So let's see (optionally) audio meters for each layer, busses, the inserts / sends for the effects.
My reply to Ave's video (BTW, he is famous for his "hot takes"):

"Nexus is a ROMpler primarily aimed at EDM producers. There are some great sounds for those genres. It is designed for speed and convenience rather than sound design. There are also plenty of packs that provide sounds suitable for many genres including trap.

"VPS Avenger is also from the same sound designer (Manuel Schleis) and IS a great tool for sound design with a lot of the same kinds of sounds (and plenty of raw material to make your own). It is a very deep synth/sample player with extreme flexibility. In fact, I believe Manuel uses it as a tool to make the Nexus sound packs."

I already upgraded with the 10 latest expansion packs. Like many others, the update took me by surprise since N3 was released only a year ago, but I think it was worth it, especially with the 10 packs. The Shimmer and Glitch effects are good additions IMO.

This guy is complaining about outdated sounds, has Nexus 4 but does not have the new rom extension 3 installed…

No. They’ve not released their Vintage Synth XP yet, while their price policy encourages purchasing bundles.

since N3 was released only a year ago,
2 years...

msvs wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:16 pm
2 years...
That change everything ofcoz'.. :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Loudness_Contour wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:31 pm I already upgraded with the 10 latest expansion packs. Like many others, the update took me by surprise since N3 was released only a year ago, but I think it was worth it, especially with the 10 packs. The Shimmer and Glitch effects are good additions IMO.
Yep, 349€ are really worth for what you got. :dog:

mladi wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:33 pm
Loudness_Contour wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:31 pm I already upgraded with the 10 latest expansion packs. Like many others, the update took me by surprise since N3 was released only a year ago, but I think it was worth it, especially with the 10 packs. The Shimmer and Glitch effects are good additions IMO.
Yep, 349€ are really worth for what you got. :dog:
If you got to choose the 10 packs and not be forced into just the latest 10, that deal would be pretty fair and enticing, IMO.

I love how Vengeance offers a "pick 5" package for Avenger. I wish ReFX offered something similar.

I think all development time at Refx goes into the Vanguard 2 synth. They licensed the version 1 engine from the Tone 2 guy after Nexus 3 was finished. The stuff that changed in Nexus 4 like the arpeggiator and the preset browser will be used in Vanguard 2, too.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

msvs wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:16 pm
2 years...
Oh my, time flies! I was 100% sure it was released last year. I think Covid somehow shifted my perception of time. :dog:

Upgraded to Nexus 3 in May and got a bunch of expansions. My upgrade price was only $49 so yes I upgraded already, 267 new sounds that's almost 2 expansions worth.

I do think maybe reFX should probably offer the main software for free and just release paid expansions for it.

Return to “Instruments”