Kick 2 - worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pixel85 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:36 am
PieBerger wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:48 am
pixel85 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:17 am Making your own kick is often more easy than searching through 500 samples (which can be super uninspiring when you search for too long).
This is why it's a good idea to spend some time to curate a library of quality kicks that fit your tastes. I really like the Foundations kicks, they are perfect for my style, as are some of the kicks from the Progressive (Zenhiser) pack made by Sinerider/Divination. Put them all in a Rack, spread them one per layer and then map the Selector slider to a Rack macro and scanning through samples is a piece of cake, even more so when used with a good scope and Voxengo PHA-979. Find something that is close, tweak the phase and boom, you're done!
I checked many kick libraries over the years. I don't like 99% of them. Also tweaking let's say last 20ms of sample to match it with phase of the bass is not that easy as doing it by synthesis.
I was the same, so I tried making my own, until the aforementioned came along which were a perfect fit for my tastes, I guess I got lucky then :)

I use PHA-979 to adjust the phase for a good relationship between kick and first 16th. I wish I enjoyed making kicks more, because the control from synthesis is the best, but I find it so dull and uninspiring :neutral:
Always Read the Manual!

Making my own kicks is a integral part of my sound. When you really understand how to shape kicks, it's awesome. I try to synthesize all of my sound - I don't like to use samples.

I just bought this (Transgressor 2 on sale) and I saw this video the other day and it looks like a great tool for kicks actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wgQxO ... e=emb_logo
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Got Kick 2 yesterday, without turning off the demo :D. Very streamlined and effective kick design. Of course you could do it with other synths, layering clicks and so on - but here everything is on one screen, easily accessible.

Finally can create powerful trance kicks I always needed :) World, here I come!
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Kick 2 is very powerful. For example, you can synthesis the disperser/all pass phase effect on the transient (all though not to the extreme degrees permitted by all pass EQ). What I like is learning how to create the kicks you like by loading a sample into the click slot (lots of clicks are actually just the initial transient of a kick sample) and then using the synthesis tools to recreate the body, this time with whatever tuning and pitch envelope you want.

I just bought Kick 2 and I love it. And you can create other kind of percussive sounds too. There are so many ways you can play with the harmonics and pitch envelope to create interesting results. Fun!

They only thing I would like is a click generator instead of having to rely on samples.
Last edited by Held on Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

collider wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 pm Making my own kicks is a integral part of my sound. When you really understand how to shape kicks, it's awesome. I try to synthesize all of my sound - I don't like to use samples.
Not all synths can make good kicks. Maybe just a few can do this precisely - those with veeery fast envelopes. Dedicated synths are optimized for this tasks.

collider wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 pm Making my own kicks is a integral part of my sound. When you really understand how to shape kicks, it's awesome. I try to synthesize all of my sound - I don't like to use samples.
Hm!? Kick-2 does synthesize hugh parts of it's kicks.
Most presets I know consist of a.) a sample transient, yes true but b.) a synthsized body with pitch envelope, volume envelope and c.) the whole sound can be treated with various processors. So I think it's the best of both worlds...
But true. If you want to follow some of these hardstyle tutorials where there's endless chains of Sample-EQ-Distortion/Folding/Waveshaping-EQ-Bounce-Repeat then Kick-2 is not for you.

Kick 2 is good , once you get your head around how it works, and the way the envelopes work.

I use it and I use Punchbox, both are good.

I bought a preset pack for Kick 2 from SA, and it was cr@p so beware them, best stick to your own inventions.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I bought the OST Meyer presets and they are pretty good.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:44 am
Most presets I know consist of a.) a sample transient, yes true but b.) a synthsized body with pitch envelope, volume envelope and c.) the whole sound can be treated with various processors. So I think it's the best of both worlds...
But true. If you want to follow some of these hardstyle tutorials where there's endless chains of Sample-EQ-Distortion/Folding/Waveshaping-EQ-Bounce-Repeat then Kick-2 is not for you.
I was talking about sample packs full of processed kicks that you just drag and drop. Not about using Kick 2. Kick 2 is my favorite kickdrum plugin.

collider wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:47 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:44 am
I was talking about sample packs full of processed kicks that you just drag and drop. Not about using Kick 2. Kick 2 is my favorite kickdrum plugin.
Sorry ... did not read carefully enough. me - wall :bang:

Return to “Instruments”