Best all round soft synth?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
syntonica
KVRian
1253 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:41 pm

I've been looking at Hive strongly for this purpose. Despite not handling samples, the new filters give it an amazing range of sounds, including percussive and "almost" analog. If it doesn't do analog enough for me in a mix, I can always supplement with Diva.

I have both SM2 and Omnisphere, but their GUIs are a turnoff for me, but I can drag them out if I do need to process a sample.

vata44
KVRAF
1626 posts since 30 Jul, 2007

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:07 am

Synthmaster 2

I’d love to get Dune, but can’t afford that kind of money.

User avatar
Muziksculp
KVRAF
1791 posts since 23 Sep, 2005

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:08 am

DUNE 3.5

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
88464 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:10 am

omni "sphere" :shrug:

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20901 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 am

syntonica wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:41 pm
I've been looking at Hive strongly for this purpose. Despite not handling samples, the new filters give it an amazing range of sounds, including percussive and "almost" analog. If it doesn't do analog enough for me in a mix, I can always supplement with Diva.
Hive works great for this...

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20901 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 am

vurt wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:10 am
omni "sphere" :shrug:
It has square waves so that doesn't count!

User avatar
BassMasterK
KVRist
212 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Portland, OR

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:20 am

The one you take time to learn and use the most.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

chk071
KVRAF
30687 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:28 am

BassMasterK wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:20 am
The one you take time to learn and use the most.
Hmmm... OnePingOnly then.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

briefcasemanx
KVRian
1052 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:28 am

Zeta+

chk071
KVRAF
30687 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:30 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:28 am
Zeta+
I so wished they would pick up on that concept, and make a more contemporary successor. The architecture and feature set are so great.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
Synthack
KVRist
443 posts since 4 Dec, 2021

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:34 am

greyman666 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:10 am
What is the best paid soft synth today?
I kind of think it's the one that "clicks" with you and your level of understanding on the various types of synthesis available.

I think you have to know what kind of sounds you want to make. Then start from there.

The best synth doesn't exist, but there are definitely some that are more popular than others for various reasons.
Do you have them all yet?

SamDi
KVRist
300 posts since 27 Apr, 2018

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:06 am

Pigments in every case. With it‘s sample and granular and since short time the additive engine the flexibility starts from the oscillators. Also filter and effect routing are outstanding.
It‘s for me the best compromise beetween flexibility and usability (Falcon & co are just no goto-synths for me).

Only backdraw: no phase offset for oscillators and some parameters in the Fx section are not able to get modulated (e.g. EQ-settings). But beside that, there are no wishes left open.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20901 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:36 pm

SamDi wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:06 am
Pigments in every case. With it‘s sample and granular and since short time the additive engine the flexibility starts from the oscillators. Also filter and effect routing are outstanding.
It‘s for me the best compromise beetween flexibility and usability (Falcon & co are just no goto-synths for me).

Only backdraw: no phase offset for oscillators and some parameters in the Fx section are not able to get modulated (e.g. EQ-settings). But beside that, there are no wishes left open.
Less CPU use would be my main wish... Pigments is really heavy on CPU

Examigan
KVRAF
6347 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:39 pm

SamDi wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:06 am
Only backdraw: no phase offset for oscillators and some parameters in the Fx section are not able to get modulated (e.g. EQ-settings).
I asked someone at Arturia about phase settings a while back. I'm not sure if it helps with your wish for phase offset or not, but here's what they said:

Analog Oscillator : Unless the Drift parameter is exactly at 0, then the oscillator will use a random phase at each note.

Wavetable oscillator : In the Phase mod section, the Sync/Retrig option lets you choose how the oscillator gets retriggered. Either on each key, when the Mod Osc is reset (Hard Sync), reset based on the Coarse + Fine parameters (thus ignoring FM and PMeffect) and randomly generated on each new voice. There is no free running per-se, meaning with a constantly calculated phase, as we do not process voices when they are not in play, to save CPU.

zvukofor
KVRer
6 posts since 17 Sep, 2009 from Russia

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:58 pm

Zebra.
Can do any sound you want, from classic additive to FM and physical modelling.

Return to “Instruments”