Good sales channel for small devs

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

shareIt have upped their limit to 6000 USD as turnaround for sales to be able to use their services thus not making it a viable alternative for small indie devs like me anymore.
ShareIt was really convenient with handling all issues with different currencies and automatically sending a fresh license as soon as someone made a purchase.
What are the alternatives?
KVR now has it's marketplace but in the description I saw nothing about license distribution or such.

How do you other (indie) guys solve this?
David Guda gudaaudio.com

I think Fastspring should accept lower turnaround volumes. I can only recommend them.

Do they offer anything like license distribution?
docdued wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:45 pm I think Fastspring should accept lower turnaround volumes. I can only recommend them.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

I'm having a look at fastspring now, so far it looks very promising!
David Guda gudaaudio.com

The guys from Fastspring called on my phone for several times, although I never had contacted them before. I told them I got no interest because I like to stay with ShareIt, but they continued calling and sending emails. I don't like such an aggresive marketing. It's even illegal in Europe to do 'cold calls'

They’ve been doing that to me as well. Their advertisements struck me as a little desperate. But that doesn’t really matter I suppose, I don’t know what their service is like though.

I do use them and I am mostly satisfied. The other alternative I am looking at is Paddle.

It seems fastspring can be a 1:1 replacement for shareIt for me, I will eventually see as I'm not quite there yet. That kind of marketing is kind of off-putting though, but will stick for now. If it doesn't work out I'll sure check out paddle as well.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

davidguda wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:14 pm shareIt have upped their limit to 6000 USD as turnaround for sales to be able to use their services thus not making it a viable alternative for small indie devs like me anymore.
ShareIt was really convenient with handling all issues with different currencies and automatically sending a fresh license as soon as someone made a purchase.
What are the alternatives?
KVR now has it's marketplace but in the description I saw nothing about license distribution or such.

How do you other (indie) guys solve this?
KVR Marketplace allows you to load up a set of serials - one of which they send to the purchaser in an email. Works pretty seamlessly for me.
VST/AU Developer for Hire

Does KVR Marketplace handle VAT? I had the impression that this is one of the main reasons for using services like fastspring or shareit, at least for EQ-based companies.

Someone on these forums once suggested combination of:
https://woocommerce.com/
https://wordpress.org/plugins/license-m ... ocommerce/

Don't know how easy those are to use but my first impression is that they could be a viable option.

We wrote a blog post about this specifically:

https://pulsedownloader.com/the-most-po ... s-plugins/

I'd like to hear more information about this topic. If I was going to sell some software online, I would probably need to use some extra license key library for my software and upload those license keys to the commerce site I'm using? Is this always the way to go or do some commerce platforms have their own software copy protection / license system+library for C++ which I can add into my software?

What's the easiest way to go with all this? I'm looking for a system which makes it as easy as possible to put the copy protection into the software, get the payments from the customers, VAT calculated, reports from sales and VAT, license keys delivered to customers, everything up and running and bolted into the software itself, etc...

Also what are the latest news on Mac software sales channels? Is AppStore becoming mandatory or is it possible to sell through other channels?

Why not try something like Shopify? I used WP years ago, I didn't like having to do loads of updates to the site when an app released an update.

Kraku wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:59 pm What's the easiest way to go with all this? I'm looking for a system which makes it as easy as possible to put the copy protection into the software, get the payments from the customers, VAT calculated, reports from sales and VAT, license keys delivered to customers, everything up and running and bolted into the software itself, etc...
You will need at least two services for that. One for the licensing and one for selling.

The easiest (but probably most expensive) solution for licensing would be iLok. You can basically wrap their copy protection around your plugin and be more or less done, including activation experience etc. You need to contact them for a quote, in my experience they are welcoming towards newcomers and small businesses.

Other solutions like LicenseSpring, Keyzy, Cryptlex etc. provide the licensing backend (that generates and manages licenses, activations etc.) along with an SDK, but you have to integrate it into your plugin yourself (activation experience, checking licenses, obfuscating license checks so they can't be easily cracked). So it's a bit more involved, but probably cheaper in the end. With some you can also have a branded customer portal.

For the selling, if you want minimum hassle with international VAT handling, you need a merchant of record / reseller. Options include 2Checkout, FastSpring, DigitalRiver, Gumroad or Paddle. It probably depends on your home country which one's best for you.

With all of these solutions you will mostly generate a list of license keys in the licensing backend and upload it to the reseller's system, you'll be notified when the list runs low so you can upload more. In some combinations you can probably also set up some kind of API connection so the shop system contacts the licensing backend on each sale to generate a fresh key.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”