This 80s/90s Lead Synth in Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m looking for this type of lead synth.
Tried finding and tweaking presets in omnisphere, found similar sounding ones like “brass leads” but nothing close enough.
Or how to create a same exact sound in omnisphere or any other synth ?
Or What is the waveform of this synth sound to start with ?
https://youtu.be/fleLcP0E5N8

That Brass sound reminds me of the "Brass 01" Preset from the Roland D-50.
https://youtu.be/f1C8nzj2IRM?t=1311

It uses 4 Oscillators with Saw-Waves on each (The D-50 is structured with two main parts with two oscillators each). The Filter Cutoff is set to ~57% on every Osc. On both of the two main parts is a Pitch Envelope Generator (Attack 3%, everything else 30%). I guess the chorus at the end gives the tone its character. I hope these details are at least little bit helpfull, but probably just to the people owning the machine, or a replika from Roland like the VST Version or the hardware D-05. But since it´s not using the internal sample sounds, i could see if i can replicate it in some freeware synths. I would start with two saw-waves at the same octave and detune it a bit. After that i would load in a 3rd Oscillator and pitch it down an octave and than set the filter to about 50% - this value depends on the Synth used. After that i would edit the AMP Envelope and the Filter Envelope. At the end i would programm an pitch envelope and with Chorus and Reverb maybe getting a little bit close to it - in theory.

And I think that sound might be layered with that infamous Orchestra Hit Sample from the Fairlight but maybe that´s just my ears. I don´t know how helpful i was with my answer, that sound just triggered my memories of that D-50 Preset :hihi:
"We should not kill the earth, we wouldn´t know where to bury it!" - Michel Granger

thank you much for help.
I have Roland Cloud D-50.
Looks like roland renamed patches in the software version, because there’s no “Brass 01”, but the Brass patches do sound like the one I’m looking for.
Only weird thing that mod wheel doesn’t trigger vibrato in D-50 VST version. If I remember correctly almost every patch in hardware D-50 has vibrato controlled by joystick’s forward direction

I just tried it in the VST version, and the mod wheel adds vibrato (if was assigned that way).

Examigan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:14 pm I just tried it in the VST version, and the mod wheel adds vibrato (if was assigned that way).
Which patch brass did you try ?

Maybe it doesn’t work for me because in this particular project I have a midi track in Cubase controlling vst instruments thru midi send

Brass Tacks, Rich Brass, Slap Brass (slight effect on that one)..

Dere are many ov presets wit dat sound in synth Anthony 3

vad.martyn wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 pm thank you much for help.
You´re welcome :)
vad.martyn wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 pm Looks like roland renamed patches in the software version, because there’s no “Brass 01”, but the Brass patches do sound like the one I’m looking for.
That preset is probably not in the software - I did some "research" and i think that preset comes from the company Rec´Up which sold Presetcards back in the 80s - so it´s most likely that it isn´t included because it is a third party preset. I attached the Sysex File which i exported from my D-50 - I hope it works with the Cloud Software because i´ve no way of trying it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We should not kill the earth, we wouldn´t know where to bury it!" - Michel Granger

Impedance Music wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:21 pm I attached the Sysex File which i exported from my D-50 - I hope it works with the Cloud Software because i´ve no way of trying it out.
I just tried and it works.

Impedance Music wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:21 pm
vad.martyn wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 pm thank you much for help.
You´re welcome :)
vad.martyn wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 pm Looks like roland renamed patches in the software version, because there’s no “Brass 01”, but the Brass patches do sound like the one I’m looking for.
That preset is probably not in the software - I did some "research" and i think that preset comes from the company Rec´Up which sold Presetcards back in the 80s - so it´s most likely that it isn´t included because it is a third party preset. I attached the Sysex File which i exported from my D-50 - I hope it works with the Cloud Software because i´ve no way of trying it out.
I thought I replied before buy apparently I didn't, probably because I was way too excited for this patch that it loaded in to D-50 VSTi and sounds exactly like the one that that band used , again thank you so so much.
which expansion card or cards is it from ? I wanna buy entire preset set from that card(s) especially if it has other presets that that band used

Glad i could help!

This website here lists a lot of the soundbanks for the D-50, also some or all? from Rec'Up:
http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/roland_d-50/ ... html#RecUp

Unfortunately i can´t tell from which card that preset is - I just have that collected Soundbank from Thomas H Website (He made that video that i posted here earlier too) and there seems to be no "Brass 01" on the Rec'Up cards, however the next preset is "--Rage Brass--" which i found on the "Rec'Up Rd50_06 Funk/R&B Groovy Studio Selection" soundbank [Preset A-53].
I found "Brass"-labeled sounds on the cards No. 04, No. 06 and No. 07, but there is no guarantee that the band might have used them. I hope these information help regardless :)

I don't know if it's an exact match, but the Korg Triton plugin is from the same era obviously, and it has an absolute truck load of usable brass and lead patches.

trackbout wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:30 pm I don't know if it's an exact match, but the Korg Triton plugin is from the same era obviously, and it has an absolute truck load of usable brass and lead patches.
I had hardware triton studio, extreme and played triton LE and triton classic about 20 years ago. I never played hardware D-50, just the plugin, but heard D-50 on lots of recordings.
They are somehow similar, but also very different from D-50.
Even tho they are only about 13 years apart, to me personally D-50 seems like a vintage synth from 25 years ago for some reason.

But since there is a possibility to find exact same presets of D-50, why try matching them with another synth.

Return to “Instruments”