Best MPE controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,
im looking to buy a mpe controller and dont know which to buy. Im using Reaper as DAW and lots of MPE Vsts. I cant chose between the sensel Morph and the joue play pro. What you would recommend me and why?

What do you want to do with it? I'd recommend you start with a Roli Lightpad Block. It's reasonably cheap and it will give you an idea of what's possible.

I don't even know if you can still buy Sensel Morph? I was looking the other day and there were only overlays for sale on eBay and at my local music shop's website (they used to carry the full range).

This video might help you a bit -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MibaTa2 ... nthesizers
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I want to uae it as midi controller to record stuff with expression. Roli is hard to find here in Germany and sensel is ez to buy at thomann. Im thinkin of buying a linnstrument too, its not as cheap but im a guitarist and think that that will work for me

I have not used Sensel Morph or Joue Pro. Well, I had a brief hands on with the Morph, but not enough to form an opinion. I do have a Linnstrument and love it.

I also just received an Erae Touch ( https://www.embodme.com/ ) but have been busy and not even opened the box yet.

You can also read through this thread - All About MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE) viewtopic.php?f=290&t=552287

What kind of surface has the erae touch? Would be nice if u could tell if its worth waiting for it

I have a Linnstrument as my main interface, Sensal for portability (qwerty keyboard useful with a tablet) and experimenting, and Roli gathering dust.
FWIW I am not much of a keyboard player, strings mainly, which biases my views.

sicknotelvd wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:58 pm What kind of surface has the erae touch? Would be nice if u could tell if its worth waiting for it
I just opened the box and took it out. The surface feels like silicon. It is a bit squishier than the Linnstrument, less so than the Roli Seaboard. The feeling is firm and i have to press to make it squish. I plugged it in and connected it to my laptop. At first use, I find it needs more pressure than I like, but that is default and can be adjusted.

^^^
If Erae can be adjusted to work with a light touch I just may be a buyer.
Please post your experience with the Erae.

Thanks for your answer. I just ordered a linnstrument 128 to test it. If it feels good, ill keep it.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:40 pm ^^^
If Erae can be adjusted to work with a light touch I just may be a buyer.
Please post your experience with the Erae.
I'll post when I have explored it a bit. But that wont be for a while.

I am using Bitwig, and there is no controller script for the Erae Touch. I just used a generic script to test it but no MPE with that. I'll have to figure that out and also install the Erae app to see about any sensitivity adjustments. I am in the middle of some projects and really enjoying it and don't feel like figuring out a new piece of gear right now. So into the closet it goes until I have time/inclination to sort it out and get it working.

^^^
I have software that I have bought but have not played with.
There are priorities. :tu:

Indeed :tu:

On the Erae I prefer a light touch to activate Velocity 1. I mean as light or even lighter than the touch on the laptop keyboard to type text. Because when you have the really light touch available then you have greater ability to adjust the velocity curve. Ideally I would like the touch to be as light as it is on my cell phone.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

I just sent back the linnstrument. Just didnt feel right for me. Now ill try the joue board.

I have the sensel Morph, its great, so much better than the Roli I did have. Works beautifully within Ableton too. :)
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”