slippery ninja - 2021 - (DnB)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm really hoping to get a bit of feedback on this track.. i'm really not too confident on the mix as i'm working with headphones, someone did say that the hi-hats may need a little taming but i'd love to hear from people who are a bit more knowledgeable with any suggestions you may have.

https://soundcloud.com/slippery-ninja/2021a1
Last edited by slippery ninja on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Could tolerate some more rolling basses, but not bad for a headphone mix.

Some good stuff in there.
Mixing-wise, I'd say there are too many elements all competing for primary attention. Try panning hard l/r some elements and putting the key element(s) down the middle. The trick I think with mixing is not that you hear each element and clearly, its that you have certain stand-out elements that take the focus.

hi,
i also think the hi-hats should be tamed. it seems that there is a lot of high-end frequencies.
because i had some time and i was interested i took your file and put it through an algorithm. Of course, you can always argue about whether AI equalizers are good. But as a second opinion, I always find them very good. the picture shows what came out as a suggestion for correction at the beginning of your piece. (and tbh it sounded better with the correction... that shouldn't sound arrogant) i see myself as a beginner in mixing, too.

but the musical elements are very nice in your track!!

i made an oldschool DnB track by myself some days ago (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=574072) that's why i am into DnB these days, somehow at least, not really all the time :D if you want check it out and tell me your opinion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:08 am hi,
i also think the hi-hats should be tamed. it seems that there is a lot of high-end frequencies.
because i had some time and i was interested i took your file and put it through an algorithm. Of course, you can always argue about whether AI equalizers are good. But as a second opinion, I always find them very good. the picture shows what came out as a suggestion for correction at the beginning of your piece. (and tbh it sounded better with the correction... that shouldn't sound arrogant) i see myself as a beginner in mixing, too.

but the musical elements are very nice in your track!!

i made an oldschool DnB track by myself some days ago (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=574072) that's why i am into DnB these days, somehow at least, not really all the time :D if you want check it out and tell me your opinion.
Thank you for the in depth reply.. exactly the kind of advice i have been chasing.. its hard to remain objective sometimes when you've been listening to the same track so many times lol. Very much appreciated. For some reason soundcloud doesnt like my phone but i promise to check yours out as soon as i get back on the pc.
Funnily enough ive never really attempted to write a dnb tune before this one either.. its not that i dont enjoy it to listen to (at least the more mellow jazzy type stuff) but i normally write more progressive house/trance than anything.. this started out as an idea for some sort of ambient/psychidelic song.. not quite sure how it evolved to this lol..

i've adjusted a few little bits and pieces, panned a few of the elements which seemed to give some of the other instruments and drums some space of their own and rolled off the highs a little.. theres still a couple things that are bugging me about the bassline and a couple of drum elements but i think i need a few days break to clear my perspective.
htcnext2 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:52 pm Could tolerate some more rolling basses, but not bad for a headphone mix.
i feel like the reese needs to open up in parts but im having a little trouble getting the effect i want.. thanks for the listen and feedback.
Bansaw wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:16 am Some good stuff in there.
Mixing-wise, I'd say there are too many elements all competing for primary attention. Try panning hard l/r some elements and putting the key element(s) down the middle. The trick I think with mixing is not that you hear each element and clearly, its that you have certain stand-out elements that take the focus.
i had a play around with a few things and panned a number of things left and right but tried to avoid going too hard left and right.. i feel like its opened the space up a bit but i'm just not sure if its enough or too much.. thanks for the listen :)

Is the track just named "2021"? That wouldn't be particularly original!

And yes, my colleague is right: hihats and drums are too loud in the
beginning - at least they dominate so strongly that they attract
everyone's attention.

What I like: The track develops very nicely - and it has a nice groovy
drive. At 3:18 there is a nice, guitar-like sound. I like it very much. :tu:
The end comes suddenly and unexpectedly. :?:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

IMO, what I perceive to be the bass sound isn't much of a bass.
It sounds more like a pad with much bass in it.

I would rework the bass and I think the hihats are a little bit to "in your face" as supposed to the rest of the elements.

Return to “Music Cafe”