Debugging plugins on recent OSX

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
davidguda
KVRian
615 posts since 28 Feb, 2011 from Sweden

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:17 am

So I've got my shiny new M1 mac with latest OSX, just managed to build for both x86_64 and arm64 and both seems to work fine.
I can't debug by attaching Ableton Live from xcode though.
I get a popup with
attach failed (Not allowed to attach to process. Look in the console messages (Console.app), near the debugserver entries, when the attach failed. The subsystem that denied the attach permission will likely have logged an informative message about why it was denied.)
I don't really get that much wiser from Console.app, is there something I should do to be able to debug?

I tried with

Code: Select all

sudo DevToolsSecurity -enable
That I found on some google search, but no difference.

Some google searches indicated that it could be that Live is not signed with debuggable abitility, although it makes sense in a way to disallow debugging on a release product it really makes life difficult when developing plugins.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

FigBug
KVRian
792 posts since 3 May, 2005 from Victoria, BC

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:24 pm

You can add the entitlement and resign, but that's a pain. It's easier to just to just disable SIP.

davidguda
KVRian

Topic Starter

615 posts since 28 Feb, 2011 from Sweden

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:39 am

Ah you mean I can add the entitlement to already existing binary like Live? That would be neat of course.
If I don't succeed with that I could always disable SIP. Would disabling SIP have any negative impacts on code signing or anything like that though?
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”