Nexus 3 Users: Are you planning to upgrade to Nexus 4 now?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Are you planning to upgrade to Nexus 4 now?

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 114

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think this should be the last iteration of Nexus as a software/plugin. Anything more will just increase the complexity and defeat the purpose. Of course, small improvements are fine but don't think there is anything now that would warrant a major upgrade. One would have thought the same after Nexus3 was released, though, so anything can happen.

I think reFX needs to rethink this.

They have released two new packs that are Nexus 4 only.

So, it appears that these new packs (and any subsequent new packs) will not be available for purchase by the vast majority of N3 users.

Their money train will come to a halt unless they can convince everyone to upgrade.

The best option would be to make N4 FREE.

Looking at the way they released two versions in two years and are charging $99 for the upgrade I highly doubt they would make it free, not outright at least. That's why, as I mentioned above, the best we could hope for is Nexus4 being the last version. This way you just buy or upgrade it one last time. Then, it will kinda become free. But again, how many would continue to buy new expansions? So, it seems it will go in circles and we should not be surprised to see Nexus5 in November 2023.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:51 pm Looking at the way they released two versions in two years and are charging $99 for the upgrade I highly doubt they would make it free, not outright at least. That's why, as I mentioned above, the best we could hope for is Nexus4 being the last version. This way you just buy or upgrade it one last time. Then, it will kinda become free. But again, how many would continue to buy new expansions? So, it seems it will go in circles and we should not be surprised to see Nexus5 in November 2023.
Looking at their current upgrade feature wise if they decide to add multiple outputs, or other requested features, they will just release new version. So it most probably won't be the last iteration of Nexus.
It may be completely wrong but for me it looks like they may have been inspired with this upgrade by release of the Spectrasonic's Sonic Extensions for the Omnisphere, which I find as their competitor (and I may be wrong, I know the differences between them) - at least price wise :)

As I stated before, for me this upgrade looks like not well prepared, not enough thought out. How much N2 to N3 upgrade costed? I think it was 99$. Now, upgrade from N3 to N4 costs additional 99$, while direct upgrade from N2 costs 149$, if I'm not mistaken. Being good client and upgrading each time is more expensive here :?

To be honest I like Nexus, I'd upgrade if the update would contain more features or at least preset pack or something - maybe one of the newest to show off new version's capabilities?
Yes, they've released free Christmas pack but it is mostly built from N3 packs, from which I already have 4 full versions :roll:

Nexus 4 upgrade = $99. Full version of VPS Avenger = $165. Advantage Vengeance.

DanielPL wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:12 pmIt may be completely wrong but for me it looks like they may have been inspired with this upgrade by release of the Spectrasonic's Sonic Extensions for the Omnisphere, which I find as their competitor (and I may be wrong, I know the differences between them) - at least price wise :)
I highly highly doubt this. I agree it looks like reFX had the idea to release Nexus 4 one night in an ill-advised drunken haze and put it out the following day with some spare presets they had lying around, but I no connection with Sonic Extensions. In a way that was the opposite - big, feature rich expansions but the core engine remained the same (and if course it's entirely optional for any Omni user, you don't need it to do anything else going forward). Nexus is marketed as a whole new version (even though it isn't), that you need to keep up with the reFX train.

I don't think there's a whole lot of market overlap either. If they'd released Sonic Extensions with a standalone player, some of the dance crowd might have been tempted by Seismic Shock, but otherwise Omni isn't big in the dance world. It's a full blown synth with a massive trove of soudsources all for editing and manipulation (famously, a million miles from a ROMpler).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

tony10000 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:21 pm Nexus 4 upgrade = $99. Full version of VPS Avenger = $165. Advantage Vengeance.
Quite. 750 presets too vs 260. From many of the same designers.

And it's a synth.

(incidentally if you're still here Manuel, the VPS website still has a lengthy thing about the defunct Codemeter on the front page right near the top. 2nd paragraph down, you can't miss it...)
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:22 pm (...)
I don't think there's a whole lot of market overlap either. If they'd released Sonic Extensions with a standalone player, some of the dance crowd might have been tempted by Seismic Shock, but otherwise Omni isn't big in the dance world. It's a full blown synth with a massive trove of soudsources all for editing and manipulation (famously, a million miles from a ROMpler).
Thanks for correcting me, I just thought they've wanted to monetize Nexus refresh (we agreed to don't consider it an upgrade) following along Spectrasonics - I've seen some unhappy customers because of the SE pricing :)
Maybe my next 500ish bucks will go to Spectrasonics, will think about it.

Speaking of Spectrasonics, can you imagine if they released Omnisphere 3 which looked and functioned exactly the same as Omnisphere 2 but had a shimmer effect and 200 odd new presets? There would be a complete sh!tstorm, but this is refx so we're not exactly blown away by the move.

Also, you can guarantee we'll see a V5 if version 4 gets cracked too. As someone else mentioned, I'm willing to bet that was the motivation behind V4, a whole new un-cracked start so to speak. Ironically I think this move will push more users towards cracked versions.

DanielPL wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:12 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:51 pm Looking at the way they released two versions in two years and are charging $99 for the upgrade I highly doubt they would make it free, not outright at least. That's why, as I mentioned above, the best we could hope for is Nexus4 being the last version. This way you just buy or upgrade it one last time. Then, it will kinda become free. But again, how many would continue to buy new expansions? So, it seems it will go in circles and we should not be surprised to see Nexus5 in November 2023.
To be honest I like Nexus, I'd upgrade if the update would contain more features or at least preset pack or something - maybe one of the newest to show off new version's capabilities?
I think it would be best to wait for a few months and see if they are adding anything substantial to Nexus4. If they do, you can upgrade then if needed. :)

In the meantime, you can consider Omnisphere. ;)

Since Spectrasonics was brought up, that reminded me: Omnisphere 2.5 was a FREE update with several new features and OVER ONE THOUSAND new, free presets. https://www.spectrasonics.net/news/news ... php?id=112

In that regard, there is no way anybody can convince me Nexus 4 update is worth $99 with its 260 "free" presets, which are not too extraordinary compared to some of the other Nexus expansion packs. Again, had we been given a voucher or two for expansions of our own choosing, that would have been enticing.

GMusic wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:29 am Since Spectrasonics was brought up, that reminded me: Omnisphere 2.5 was a FREE update with several new features and OVER ONE THOUSAND new, free presets. https://www.spectrasonics.net/news/news ... php?id=112
You've got me going now. I took a look at their history of free updates. Never mind all the features that got introduced, JUST in terms of added new patches we have:

OMNISPHERE 1
1.0.1 - 175
1.0.2 - 1,000
1.0.3 - 2,000
1.2.0 - 215
1.3.0 - 121
1.5.1 - 780

OMNISPHERE 2 (paid update)
2.0 - I can't find the exact number of new patches - 3,000 inc soundsources, so I think circa 2,000
2.5 - 1,000
2.6 - 600

When people complain about the price of Omnisphere, this is one of the things that comes to mind. Not perhaps the most important thing, but not insignificant.

To be fair, reFX have added a fair bit themselves, through the Christmas XPs and making some of their older ones free. When you buy now as a new user, it's 2,750 - it used to just be a few hundred.

And that's the context of why the Nexus 4 update seems so poor. They used to give away this number of presets for Christmas. And I know people have said it endlessly, but just one more time - all Nexus is is a preset machine. That's it. You can mine Avenger or Omnisphere forever without ever touching a preset if it's not your thing. So in this case - number (and quality) of presets really does matter.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:59 am
GMusic wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:29 am Since Spectrasonics was brought up, that reminded me: Omnisphere 2.5 was a FREE update with several new features and OVER ONE THOUSAND new, free presets. https://www.spectrasonics.net/news/news ... php?id=112
You've got me going now. I took a look at their history of free updates. Never mind all the features that got introduced, JUST in terms of added new patches we have:

OMNISPHERE 1
1.0.1 - 175
1.0.2 - 1,000
1.0.3 - 2,000
1.2.0 - 215
1.3.0 - 121
1.5.1 - 780

OMNISPHERE 2 (paid update)
2.0 - I can't find the exact number of new patches - 3,000 inc soundsources, so I think circa 2,000
2.5 - 1,000
2.6 - 600

When people complain about the price of Omnisphere, this is one of the things that comes to mind. Not perhaps the most important thing, but not insignificant.

To be fair, reFX have added a fair bit themselves, through the Christmas XPs and making some of their older ones free. When you buy now as a new user, it's 2,750 - it used to just be a few hundred.

And that's the context of why the Nexus 4 update seems so poor. They used to give away this number of presets for Christmas. And I know people have said it endlessly, but just one more time - all Nexus is is a preset machine. That's it. You can mine Avenger or Omnisphere forever without ever touching a preset if it's not your thing. So in this case - number (and quality) of presets really does matter.
What a great post, thank you GMusic! Reminds me of all the upgrades I have had from Spectrasonics going back to the start of the Atmosphere/Omnisphere journey.

I have also had Nexus from the start too and in my early days of producing, their presets were used on almost all my tracks whereas, although I tried, Atmosphere/Omnisphere figured very rarely. As I developed my skills and had the patience to learn and understand how to program synths, especially Omnisphere, except for a few favourite presets, Nexus has played a lesser part of my tracks.

In truth, although I have paid and d/l'd a number of Nexus 3 packs, I haven't been able to see how they can fit into the music I make, so to answer the original question, no, I won't be upgrading to N4 as I don't see any reason to do so and will continue to use my current suite of software synths, including Omnisphere and only use my favourite 12 or so Nexus 3 presets in certain specific circumstances.

Knowing what I know now, I would not invest in Nexus unless I was sure as to why I needed to, but focus on other synths where there are infinitely more flexible sound possibilities.
Music is the food of the soul!

Ah yes, that's the reFX we know and, um, know.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”