V-collection 8 - worth it for $200.00 crossgrade?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys title says it all. I was just wondering if v-collection is worth it for $200.00 which is a crossgrade deal i can get. I have NI ultimate so set on the NI side as well as analogue lab, but wondered if v collection is really that worth it? I like analogue lab but it gets a little boring as a lot of the presets are so similar with slight different parameters it feels like. So i decided i will either get v-c 8 or serum for a present to myself lol.

Any advie appreciated thanks guys. P.s shooting for a tycho/yppah tone so wondered if i can get everything with this dealio

Analog Lab provides a pretty comprehensive overview of what the collection can do. Regardless, I'd suggest you download a demo of a few of the full synths and test them out. It won't cost you anything more than a bit of time and then you can see if you get along with the collection and consider it money well spent or not.

Go to any of the synth pages and you'll see a "Get Free Demo" button to the right of the "Buy Now" button. I think this is your best bet.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... v/overview

I am pretty stingy when it comes to virtual instruments, but I picked up the v8 Collection for the "outliers" - Buchla Music Easel, CMI, Synclavier - because they offer something I don't have elsewhere. When I checked out Tycho's gear in the past he was using Minimoog and Virus hardware. I think a lot of his sound comes from filtering/effects in the mixing stage.

I rarely used Analog Lab but now I've upgraded to V collection its all I use. There's something so much more engaging about having the full interface in front of you that draws you in to experiment and create, plus you get thousands more presets than ALV that push the emulations further. V collection has some great digital synths in full 8 bit glory but if you want the clean digital sound of Serum just get Vital, its the same thing but with an extra filter and is free at entry.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

I love it, same goes for the FX collection. Great variety of noise makers that I find fun to use. I've seen talk of poor presets and GUIs, but I've always found very useable presets in there, and I personally really like the GUIs. I'll take skeuomorphic over flat digital any day.

Thanks for replies guys i think ill hold off and put the doh towards something else. Im not a big fan of the retro sounding bass synths sound and at least with Analogue lab v the majority of presets i noticed were that so i assume the extra parameters of the synths will be similar with the ability to tweek more. if that makes any sense i am very new to producing and terminology. I have komp 13 ultimate which i got a few days ago, analogue lab, synth-1 i think its called, vital, and a few more. Looking for a synth that can give me the ability to creat pretty much any sound i can think of and heard serum can do that as well as omnisphere, but being so new to the scene sound design i gurantee is out of my league and no 1 synth fits all needs. I think i will take the advice and free trial the synths and see if its something id use. Is there any synths though that can literally create just about any sound you can think of? Serum was the one i read could basically but not sure if thats really true. Is it just like most where you have presets and just tweek or change waveforms etc…?

Also heard diva is good to but not sure the kind of tones u can create

Diva has a retro feel but is capable of modern-feeling sounds as well. I use it mainly for warm-feeling lush pad sounds and supersaws. You've mentioned you're not a big fan of analog bass sounds, but if you end up demoing Diva, try them out there and see if they're more to your taste - although if you want more bite, Repro might be a bit more well suited to that, so give that duo a spin too - it's by the same developer as Diva).

Since you also mentioned wanting a synth that can cover a wide spectrum of sounds, maybe look at Arturia's Pigments? It can do a very wide range of sounds (including granular and additive, and lets you import your own samples), tho I feel like it doesn't truly excel at any of them. For a bigger focus on more "modern" sounds I'd say take a listen at Serum or Phase Plant, those might suit you if Vital isn't doing it for you.

Edit: Another one to look at would be Dune 3.5 - i'd put it between Diva and Pigments in terms of the range of sounds it's capable of.

OP, given what you already have and being relatively new to this, slow down the buying! You have a TON of synths already. Next time you sit down for music, just pick out a synth and play a YouTube tutorial so you can learn how to navigate what you have.

You might also think about a service/program called Syntorial. It's a cool online interactive synth programing tutorial where you hear a sound and it walks you through how to make that sound on a synth.

https://www.syntorial.com/

Thank you for your replys guys i really appreciate i think ill hold off on the buying. Does serum allow you import your own samples mctecman? The syntorial thing is an awesome thing thanks i will be checking that out for sure

AFAIK you can sort-of use Serum as a sampler if you drag the sample into the Noise module. If you drag it into any of the oscillators, it'll offer to make a wavetable out of the sample instead. One of Serum's strengths is that you can very, very easily make wavetables - out of samples, out of images...

I don't own Serum tho, actual owners can probably explain it much better.

McTecman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 pm AFAIK you can sort-of use Serum as a sampler if you drag the sample into the Noise module. If you drag it into any of the oscillators, it'll offer to make a wavetable out of the sample instead. One of Serum's strengths is that you can very, very easily make wavetables - out of samples, out of images...

I don't own Serum tho, actual owners can probably explain it much better.
That's about right yes. V collection gives you a ton of stuff.

The OB-X, Juno and Jupiter emulations alone are worth $200.

It's about $7 an instrument. Pretty good deal if you have a use for all of them. The Juno and Jupiter stand out. The organs suck because well, they're organs and organs suck. They've added effects, more modulation options, sequencers, etc. to some/most of them.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

Return to “Instruments”