IK Syntronik 2 is out (looks like 'MAX' version required to get new synths)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syntronik Syntronik 1

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:13 pm
dmbaer wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:57 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:53 pm -I don't see any way to change the oscillator source in Syntronik or Sample Tank. There is only one sound source there in the osc list. I thought you could load two sound sources as "oscillators" within a given patch. In Sample Tank it doesn't seem that Osc 2 does anything at all. Can it not load anything?
If I recall correctly, to customize a preset in S1, you had to find a preset that used the sample you wanted and modify that. There was no way to start from scratch and load the sample you wanted. It's been a while since I wrestled with that, however, so the details are a little hazy.
Thanks. But when you select a preset, it seems there is only the one sample set, so the second "oscillator" is useless in Sample Tank and can't load anything?
You need to find a Syn2 preset that uses more than one Oscillator, e.g. the GS-V "Stereo Time Traveler". It uses Osc1 and Osc2. Loading that preset in ST4 and, in the Edit panel / Oscillators you will see {1] and {2] "highlighted" (mind you the buttons are difficult to see here). Select either one for that Oscillator.

ANd you can change the Oscillators used in Syn2 - see my post on page 14.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Sheesh! I've just noticed that I've passed 10,000 posts. And some of them, at least, were useful. :) (excluding this one)
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:13 pm Sheesh! I've just noticed that I've passed 10,000 posts. And some of them, at least, were useful. :) (excluding this one)
That's a lot of posting. You've got me beat by a 5 to 1 margin and I've been here a bit longer. Here is to another 10 000 posts. :party:

DarkStar wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:10 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:13 pm
dmbaer wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:57 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:53 pm -I don't see any way to change the oscillator source in Syntronik or Sample Tank. There is only one sound source there in the osc list. I thought you could load two sound sources as "oscillators" within a given patch. In Sample Tank it doesn't seem that Osc 2 does anything at all. Can it not load anything?
If I recall correctly, to customize a preset in S1, you had to find a preset that used the sample you wanted and modify that. There was no way to start from scratch and load the sample you wanted. It's been a while since I wrestled with that, however, so the details are a little hazy.
Thanks. But when you select a preset, it seems there is only the one sample set, so the second "oscillator" is useless in Sample Tank and can't load anything?
You need to find a Syn2 preset that uses more than one Oscillator, e.g. the GS-V "Stereo Time Traveler". It uses Osc1 and Osc2. Loading that preset in ST4 and, in the Edit panel / Oscillators you will see {1] and {2] "highlighted" (mind you the buttons are difficult to see here). Select either one for that Oscillator.

ANd you can change the Oscillators used in Syn2 - see my post on page 14.
Thanks Darkstar.

What I mean is — Syntronik 2 CS ("S2 CS") is not giving a good idea of what you get, as a Syntronik 1 owner, in terms of the oscillators if you buy S2 Max: it (i.e., S2 CS) leaves me not really knowing and wondering how many oscillators you get with each patch in S2 Max, both for the new S2 synths and for the S1 synths; how varied the oscillators are in S2 Max, what they sound like, and how many you get to choose from for each S2 Max preset. The IK site doesn't say, and there's no walkthrough video yet, either from IK or others, that give a better idea of these things.

Maybe someone here who is a Syntronik 1 owner who upgraded to S2 Max can provide some helpful input about these things regarding the oscillators in S2 (i.e., do all presets have oscillators?, roughly how many do you get to choose from in each preset? ho varied are they in sound, e.g., just variances of a main oscillator or two, or, a whole bunch of very different oscillators? etc).

I have Syntronik 1. If I got Syntronik 2 Max, could I completely uninstall Syn 1 and its sample files?

Chrisk-K wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:43 pm I have Syntronik 1. If I got Syntronik 2 Max, could I completely uninstall Syn 1 and its sample files?
as I said earlier the syn1 files installed into the syntronik2 folder when you install syntronik2 exactly match the existing syntronik1 files under the sampletank3 folder - so if you don't need to load syntronik1 in old projects deleting it will save you about 74gb of disk space

jdnz wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:34 am
Chrisk-K wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:43 pm I have Syntronik 1. If I got Syntronik 2 Max, could I completely uninstall Syn 1 and its sample files?
as I said earlier the syn1 files installed into the syntronik2 folder when you install syntronik2 exactly match the existing syntronik1 files under the sampletank3 folder - so if you don't need to load syntronik1 in old projects deleting it will save you about 74gb of disk space
That's good to know. I don't really need the new synths in Syn 2 but it would be cool to get full M1 support.

Got it on BF. Haven't really tried it yet though is it and SampleTank now keeps crashing Logic almost every time I close the plugin window. Thais a bit of a significant bug to miss really.

I'll have to report it and hope it gets fixed soon.

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:17 pm Got it on BF. Haven't really tried it yet though is it and SampleTank now keeps crashing Logic almost every time I close the plugin window. Thais a bit of a significant bug to miss really.

I had that too. In my case it was because I had some external libraries that weren't installed in the right folders.

Go into the main SampleTank app (not plugin) and click the settings icon near the bottom right and then click sample content. remove any links to libraries other than the internal SampleTank 3, SampleTank 4 and SampleTron 2 etc. libraries.

Rescan and quit.

Now try the plug-in in Logic. If ST now works, your issue is that the additional library locations aren't organised properly.

I manually went in and moved stuff into the relevant SampleTank 3, etc. folder. I had some additional SampleTank 3 folders nested inside other folders. It was a bit of a mess.

One sorted I've not had a crash since.

Before that, every time I closed the ST4 plugin window Logic would give me a message that a plug-in was unstable and that it would quit (asking me if I wanted to save the project).

The correct folder structure is something like this:

IK Multimedia->SampleTank 3
->SampleTank 4
->SampleTron 2
->Syntronik

Inside these folders (i.e. SampleTank 3) you should have these folders:

Sets
Samples
Patterns
Multis
Library Info
Instruments
Imported Samples
Imported Instruments
Exported Patterns
Effects Presets
Arpeggios

If you find any of the top level folders nested inside any of the folders above, manually move them to the top level and it should all work. A lot of the folders will be empty from a fresh install (Such as the "Imported..." folders)

And no, you shouldn’t have to do this but one you'e done it it should work fine.

If you have links to folders on external drives, once you've sorted the structure add the "Sampletank 3", "Sampletank 4" etc folders from the external drive back into the sample content tab in settings.

^^^
Also, check out this FAQ: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1239

Note that within the "Instruments" and "Samples" folders for ST4, you will see a folder for "SampleTank 4", and within that sub-folders for the various instrument categories.
Inspired by ...

Meester Smeeeth wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:24 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:17 pm Got it on BF. Haven't really tried it yet though is it and SampleTank now keeps crashing Logic almost every time I close the plugin window. Thais a bit of a significant bug to miss really.

I had that too. In my case it was because I had some external libraries that weren't installed in the right folders.

Go into the main SampleTank app (not plugin) and click the settings icon near the bottom right and then click sample content. remove any links to libraries other than the internal SampleTank 3, SampleTank 4 and SampleTron 2 etc. libraries.

Rescan and quit.

Now try the plug-in in Logic. If ST now works, your issue is that the additional library locations aren't organised properly.

I manually went in and moved stuff into the relevant SampleTank 3, etc. folder. I had some additional SampleTank 3 folders nested inside other folders. It was a bit of a mess.

One sorted I've not had a crash since.

Before that, every time I closed the ST4 plugin window Logic would give me a message that a plug-in was unstable and that it would quit (asking me if I wanted to save the project).

The correct folder structure is something like this:

IK Multimedia->SampleTank 3
->SampleTank 4
->SampleTron 2
->Syntronik

Inside these folders (i.e. SampleTank 3) you should have these folders:

Sets
Samples
Patterns
Multis
Library Info
Instruments
Imported Samples
Imported Instruments
Exported Patterns
Effects Presets
Arpeggios

If you find any of the top level folders nested inside any of the folders above, manually move them to the top level and it should all work. A lot of the folders will be empty from a fresh install (Such as the "Imported..." folders)

And no, you shouldn’t have to do this but one you'e done it it should work fine.

If you have links to folders on external drives, once you've sorted the structure add the "Sampletank 3", "Sampletank 4" etc folders from the external drive back into the sample content tab in settings.
I ended up doing fresh installs, reboots, reauthorisations, deleted the audio unit cache and did a rescan, I reinstalled Logic. The problem is persistent. It happens when either closing the plugin window or switching to another plugin with the "link" button engaged.

It seems to be an AudioUnit interface rendering issue in my case. The instruments seems to work fine in standalone mode

Sorry, I didn’t read all pages but if I have Total Studio Max 2 my upgrade is $149? I ask because I haven’t installed Studio Max as I’m switching over to a new computer. Thanks

Have a look in your User Area / Crossgrades & Upgrades section on the web site to see all those for which you are eligible. The prices are based on the products Registered to your User Account.
Inspired by ...

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:52 pm
It seems to be an AudioUnit interface rendering issue in my case. The instruments seems to work fine in standalone mode
I had the exact same symptoms. Every time I closed the ST4 plug in window it would crash. Stand-alone always worked.

I’d suggest looking through all the sub folders again to see if you have a “SampleTank 3” folder inside another folder were it shouldn’t be.

also double check the sample content library locations. You don’t need to reinstall anything. Just check the file structures are correct (check for nested folders that should be top level) and then re-add them.

This fixed the crashes completely. I didn’t reinstall Logic or any libraries and went from ST4 crashing every single time I close the plug in window to it working properly instantly.

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:52 pm
I ended up doing fresh installs, reboots, reauthorisations, deleted the audio unit cache and did a rescan, I reinstalled Logic. The problem is persistent. It happens when either closing the plugin window or switching to another plugin with the "link" button engaged.

I was going to pull the trigger to upgrade to Syn 2 Max until I saw the above post.

It's been more than 2 weeks since Syn 2 was released, and yet there is ZERO user demo or review on Youtube. I guess people are having hard times installing or running Syn 2.

Return to “Instruments”