Boutiques are stupid - build a 3U rack with all the Zenology models

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
kritikon
KVRAF
5681 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:40 pm

:lol:

Yeah, presets are also for those with no staying power. :?

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
88183 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:42 pm

kritikon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:36 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:07 am

presets are for girls.
or boys.
And what about those inbetween and the TQ+ tacked on the end and the future addenda that may make LGBTQI+ a very long shortcut indeed? And wombles/clangers - AFAIK they don't have any sex at all, but I'm pretty sure one or two of them played instruments. Are presets for them?

Actually you might possibly (and strangely) have been more politically correct to just say presets are for pussies
...and pooches.
of course wombles and clangers had genders.
uncles and madame in teh wombles, and mum and dad clanger.
jebus man.

all those other people are more interesting, and use self made patches of course.

kritikon
KVRAF
5681 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:45 pm

But...back on topic. I dunno about making Boutiques into racks - I had the impression that rack units weren't big sellers nowadays? TBH I find racks a bit of a PITA. Used to love racks full of flashing lights and knobs but - nowadays they just use up loads of space and make a small studio difficult IMO. I still have some limited rack gear, but only a small amount that I can fit into low racks on the back of the desk - now way I want to go back to giant racks that have to be out on the side somewhere difficult. Any big rack on my desk would just block out the light from the window behind it. Other place on the desk, it would block speakers. Out on the sides - way too much clutter and spaghetti. I guess Roland didn't release racks because they won't sell?

kritikon
KVRAF
5681 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:48 pm

vurt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:42 pm
kritikon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:36 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:07 am

presets are for girls.
or boys.
And what about those inbetween and the TQ+ tacked on the end and the future addenda that may make LGBTQI+ a very long shortcut indeed? And wombles/clangers - AFAIK they don't have any sex at all, but I'm pretty sure one or two of them played instruments. Are presets for them?

Actually you might possibly (and strangely) have been more politically correct to just say presets are for pussies
...and pooches.
of course wombles and clangers had genders.
uncles and madame in teh wombles, and mum and dad clanger.
jebus man.

all those other people are more interesting, and use self made patches of course.
They did in name. But I had a toy womble way back in the day - can't remember if it was tobermory or orinoco - it definitely had no dangly bits underneath. Can't remember for sure but I don't remember any of them being eunuchs...

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
88183 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:52 pm

kritikon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:48 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:42 pm
kritikon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:36 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:07 am

presets are for girls.
or boys.
And what about those inbetween and the TQ+ tacked on the end and the future addenda that may make LGBTQI+ a very long shortcut indeed? And wombles/clangers - AFAIK they don't have any sex at all, but I'm pretty sure one or two of them played instruments. Are presets for them?

Actually you might possibly (and strangely) have been more politically correct to just say presets are for pussies
...and pooches.
of course wombles and clangers had genders.
uncles and madame in teh wombles, and mum and dad clanger.
jebus man.

all those other people are more interesting, and use self made patches of course.
They did in name. But I had a toy womble way back in the day - can't remember if it was tobermory or orinoco - it definitely had no dangly bits underneath. Can't remember for sure but I don't remember any of them being eunuchs...
thats to stop perverts like you playing with them!
action man has no privates, are you saying all soldiers get that done? :hihi:

kritikon
KVRAF
5681 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:00 pm

Playing with toys is OK though. The social worker actually asks you to do it:
"Point on the doll where he touched you" kind of thing. I bet their toys have dangly bits.

User avatar
cryophonik
KVRAF
7541 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:03 pm

kritikon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:45 pm
But...back on topic. I dunno about making Boutiques into racks - I had the impression that rack units weren't big sellers nowadays? TBH I find racks a bit of a PITA. Used to love racks full of flashing lights and knobs but - nowadays they just use up loads of space and make a small studio difficult IMO. I still have some limited rack gear, but only a small amount that I can fit into low racks on the back of the desk - now way I want to go back to giant racks that have to be out on the side somewhere difficult. Any big rack on my desk would just block out the light from the window behind it. Other place on the desk, it would block speakers. Out on the sides - way too much clutter and spaghetti. I guess Roland didn't release racks because they won't sell?
Yeah, it definitely seems that rackmount units are pretty much dead/dying. Personally, I like having racks and I find them much neater. Granted, I have some beautiful cherry stained wood racks that perfectly match my studio desks and they're pretty shallow, so they keep things neat while not taking up much space. I find it pretty annoying that every modern synth I own or want these days won't fit into my racks, so they're all arranged in a messy and non-ergonomic (i.e., just out of my reach) fashion, taking up too much precious desktop space, have ugly ass cables hanging out everywhere, etc. I'm a pretty anal neat freak, so I wish synth manufacturers would at least design them to allow for rackmounting (e.g., via an attachable face plate or something).

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
88183 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:09 pm

kritikon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:00 pm
Playing with toys is OK though.
i dont play with them, i display them :roll:
they are collectables :cry:

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
88183 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:10 pm

:hihi:
ok ill let you get back to whatever boring business you were on.
i got things to smoke.

kritikon
KVRAF
5681 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:17 pm

vurt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:09 pm


i dont play with them, i display them :roll:
they are collectables :cry:
You strip them naked and put them on show to anyone who wants to ogle at them :shock:
Do these poor things have any say in the matter?

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
88183 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:23 pm

kritikon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:17 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:09 pm


i dont play with them, i display them :roll:
they are collectables :cry:
You strip them naked and put them on show to anyone who wants to ogle at them :shock:
Do these poor things have any say in the matter?
theyve never protested :shrug:

User avatar
rod_zero
KVRAF
3267 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:00 pm

zebology emulations doesn't sound as detailed to ACB.

Roland should fix their cloud BTW so I can use the plug in versions
dedication to flying

vitocorleone123
KVRian
1018 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:48 pm

Gadget Fiend wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:47 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 pm
My SE-02 has been incredibly usable, and it’s just the right size for my space. I bought it because it sounds amazing. And still think it does 3 years later. And it’s better to me than anything you’ve mentioned.
The top end of the SE-02 is way too fizzy and harsh. (I'm talking about the saw wave.) You basically have to set the filter cutoff to about 2/3rds of the full range to get anything usable. Even then (which is surprising given the unit's 4-pole filter) you can still hear some of that fizziness bleed through.

Plus, come on, the knob size is just stupid small. And the lack of a display for naming patches is a dealbreaker for me.

If they fixed the saw waveform and put everything in a 3U rack unit with a display (and killed the sequencer which is useless,) this would have made a great $799 synth that would compete with the likes of the Waldorf Pulse 2 and Moog Minitaur which are both superior synths as it stands.
I think the saw wave is one of the best aspects of the SE-02! Crisp. Love it. There’s only a couple knobs that could be better (like the osc knobs) but it’s easy enough to use, and all the rest are easy, too. Or I could map everything and use another synth. I’ve also used the Ext Box since soon after it was released (too bad it’s discontinued).

Also, my OB-6 has no preset names. If I care, it’s easy enough to have an editor open on my PC and there’s all the names - but I generally know my presets and know where they are.

By the way, you can go way beyond the SE-02 with the SE-3X, which I think has everything you ask for and more (I’m considering buying it next year). But it costs.

User avatar
cryophonik
KVRAF
7541 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:11 pm

vitocorleone123 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:48 pm
By the way, you can go way beyond the SE-02 with the SE-3X, which I think has everything you ask for and more (I’m considering buying it next year). But it costs.
The 3X looks amazing, but the thing that kills me is no MIDI over USB at that price?! C’mon SE! :neutral:

SHall1000
KVRian
674 posts since 13 May, 2015

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:51 am

For some of us small boxes are important as we have limited space. In my rig I have a collection of diverse sources controlled by one keystep pro which takes up very little desk space and can be stored away easily. Admittedly small size brings compromises but I like my SH 01A and Se 02.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”