Best raw BFD3 expansion for punk?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I heard BFD3 was more realistic than SD3 (more detailed articulations and little subtleties) so I wanted to pick it up while it was on sale. What are some of the more realistically articulated and raw BFD3 expansions for a raw punk drum sound? I know a lot of punk is processed but it’s hard to describe the sound I’m going for, it’s on the border of what I’d call dry. Old school Misfits, The Night Stalkers, Descendants etc.

Honestly I wouldn't go near BFD3 in its current state. Personally I'm thinking of going over to SD3, mainly because it works. I've been with BFD since version 1, but now things have just gone terribly since inMusic's takeover, adding 30-day phone home DRM, a licence manager that disables your software even before the 30 days are up etc. My hope for a future for this software after so many years has been crushed.

Check the forum for more views and issues:

https://forum.bfddrums.com/c/forum-supp ... cussion/15

Mr Arkadin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:22 pm Honestly I wouldn't go near BFD3 in its current state. Personally I'm thinking of going over to SD3, mainly because it works. I've been with BFD since version 1, but now things have just gone terribly since inMusic's takeover, adding 30-day phone home DRM, a licence manager that disables your software even before the 30 days are up etc. My hope for a future for this software after so many years has been crushed.

Check the forum for more views and issues:

https://forum.bfddrums.com/c/forum-supp ... cussion/15
Well shoot, guess I’m going with SD3 then. I’ll just grab an SDX and maybe ik’s sunset studio to give it a roomy sound.

I'm waiting to see if a better price for SD3 turns up, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

It feels counter-productive to dissuade people from BFD3 as, of course, the more people that buy it, the more revenue they have to improve it, which would be better for me. However I know the shitstorm I've had to put with (and mine isn't even the worst case) and I don't want anyone else to have to endure that.

Have you seen this? Sounds like it might suit your needs.

https://ugritone.com/collections/kvlt-2 ... ot-drums-2
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

synthgeek wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:28 pm Have you seen this? Sounds like it might suit your needs.

https://ugritone.com/collections/kvlt-2 ... ot-drums-2
I saw this, but the price drove me to believe it can't be very detailed. Especially since they don't talk about velocity layers and the whole thing is only 310mbs. The demos I've heard are very convincing though...I might pick it up just to see if it's final mix usable.

Indeed, they don't seem to give many details like that. I've been pretty happy with it, though my standards may be lower than yours. :)
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

synthgeek wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:56 pm Indeed, they don't seem to give many details like that. I've been pretty happy with it, though my standards may be lower than yours. :)
My standards are If this is convincing enough to use on a final release without having to hunt down and trap an actual drummer, I’ll pay many gold shekels to be able to program drum parts myself from my studio desk lol.

I've been using BFD3 for a few years now including the migration to the latest version. All is fine on my end. I wouldn't switch from BFD3 at this point. Im on macPOS 10.14 and Reaper 6. To answer your question I am thinking the Black Album library.

synthgeek wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:56 pm Indeed, they don't seem to give many details like that. I've been pretty happy with it, though my standards may be lower than yours. :)
Riot Drums seems like a great option for that exact reason, actually (although I've never used it - just going by the demos). I grew up on 80s punk and new wave and there's no f'ing way I'd use BFD or SD for punk - that would be like these Gen Z poseurs with their $2000 guitars calling themselves "punk". All the kits are too detailed and processed right out of the box. Old school punk was recorded with minimal and often cheap gear, not $5K 10-piece kits that are close-mic'ed and room mic'ed with $50K worth of Telefunken mics through tube preamps and an SSL board that costs more than some houses. Punk is about loud and in your face, not details. 8)
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Been playing with it and the only thing I can say is this is a looot of very high tuned snares and there is this like permanent reverb that won't go away (even if you turn the room all the way down). They don't really dry out at all and you can't shape that natural reverb to not be so piercing. Other than that, I can say it's definitely worth $50 and I can play with it a bit and see if I can shape it into something more to my ear.

Return to “Instruments”